Redesigned 8800GT - Gigabyte GV-NX88T512HP

I have some FUN facts to share with you guys about my card.

The whole story is here: http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=58369

Bottom line is, the card crashed my system ("black screen of death") with certain games and I traced the problem down to the SHADER overclocking of 1715Mhz performed by Gigabyte. Can you believe it?. So, in my case it doesn't seem to be the memory (also fails @ 900Mhz). This is just weird :rolleyes:

I'm going to do some more tests to see exactly at which speed the Shaders start to give me problems, that's the only thing I don't know yet. Only tested 1500Mhz and it SEEMS stable.
I will probably end up in RMA hell (maybe getting the new revision...)

Edit: Results don't look good so far (GPU/Shader/Memory):

700/1715/920 => FAIL
700/1715/900 => FAIL
680/1715/920 => FAIL
700/1674/920 => FAIL

The funny thing is that I played F.E.A.R. + expansions for more than 10 hours and I never got a black screen; it doesn't happen in all games...

Edit 2: 600/1500/900 => PASS (apparently...). Looks like Gigabyte needs to review their overclocking testing methods :confused:

Well I just filed a complaint with The Better Business Bureau, I'll let you know what I find out.

May be helpful if they got some more... http://www.labbb.org/BBBWeb/Forms/General/Home.aspx?MenuItem=True&sm=

Wow...I'm really sorry for you people that are having trouble with the older model. I'm glad I returned mine & got the newer heat-pipe version. I can tell you I have thrown a bunch of games @ it & runs without an issue! I'm using it in a dual-boot OS system & both run perfectly,

Sorry for eveyone's troubles! BTW...the Zalman fan is wisper quiet even though it's running @ full speed.

I'm not going to RMA my card for now, considering it seems stable after underclocking the shaders to 1500Mhz (oddly enough, the memory and GPU factory overclocks doesn't seem problematic)

I don't want to end up like our friend Vlad_13, wasting 1 month of my gaming time just to be told that the card is fine and possibly being charged money in the process

Bottom line is I don't mind losing a ~200Mhz overclock on the shaders, which doesn't even yield any noticeable real world (or synthetic) performance gain, if that means having general graphic stability

I've just got revised version of this card (with heatpipes). I cannot say that it is "whisper quiet" - it is in fact the loudest part of my system :( Is there a way to make it adjust fan speed automatically? Or may be someone tried installing 120mm fan blowing directly on to the card and undervolting card's fan?

I've just got revised version of this card (with heatpipes). I cannot say that it is "whisper quiet" - it is in fact the loudest part of my system :( Is there a way to make it adjust fan speed automatically? Or may be someone tried installing 120mm fan blowing directly on to the card and undervolting card's fan?

As I have said previously, the previous Zalman fan (VF700) is also the loudest part on my system, but I think it's the price to pay for cool temperatures and durability. I don't know how reducing the RPMs on the fan would affect temperature, but keep us posted if you find something, I would also like to quiet down the fan a bit, specially in 2D Mode ;)

My plan to hush this card:
1. undervolt the card fan
2. Install PCI slot fan blowing on to the hetpiped cooler. Something like this:

fancard02.jpg

Has anyone tried something similar? All suggestions are welcome - like a better pci slot cooler for example (I don't like LED bling-bling much :) )

Another option that I consider is to replace cooler with Arctic Cooling Accelero S1. I don't want to do it straight away though as I may need to return the card

Why not just remove the card's fan, and then position a 120mm Yateloon to blow on the cooler?

I don't see an obvious way to fix 120mm fan on it... I was thinking some sort of a bracket to fix 120mm to the adjacent PCI slot... Before I start my clumsy DIYing - has anyone tried something similar? :rolleyes:

Well I was considering to purchase this card until I just saw this thread.
I live in Peru, the biggest computer parts dealer here (Deltron) is asking $340 incl. taxes for it! Although the price is usual for my country what really sucks is this crap is the best vid card you can get here.

Did I mention RMA is almost a joke? :(

Thanks [H] for saving my hard earned $$!!!

Ummm, that would be the reason why I have not said anything yet...

Well... right now with this 'sh1t' software (yes, soft Vmod):

GVNX88T512HP rev1.0

Vcore 1.15v
GPU 800mhz
Shaders 1900mhz

Memory 2x1050mhz (Samsung)

Be careful with temperature at fully load (68ºC)

Salud.

Well... right now with this 'sh1t' software (yes, soft Vmod):

GVNX88T512HP rev1.0

Vcore 1.15v
GPU 800mhz
Shaders 1900mhz

Memory 2x1050mhz (Samsung)

Be careful with temperature at fully load (68ºC)

Salud.

You have a GV-NX88T512HP with Samsung ram? or is it the GV-NX88T512HP8 heatpipe card?

Are you completely stable at that 800Mhz core speed? Your full load temp is only 68c? Thats nothing, most of the other crap cooler 8800GT's pushed 90c at default fan speed.

What are your gains at that clock increase?

Hello all,

I'm wondering if im having problem with my new card. It's Gigabyte TurboForce Edition with revised Zalman Heatsink

My Vista is freshly installed and the current Forceware is 169.09..

From below screen shot, how come in CPUZ my GPU Clock and Memory is 0Mhz ? Is that normal ?

Is 10k the average result i should get with my current gig ?

cpuz.jpg

nmonitor.jpg

3dmark.jpg

Now below is really weird. How come NTune detect my card gpu core as 450 when it should be 700.

ntune.jpg

Should i change my card or everything is normal ?

Thanking in advance for all your opinion and help. :)

Hello all,

Is 10k the average result i should get with my current gig ?

Now below is really weird. How come NTune detect my card gpu core as 450 when it should be 700.

Should i change my card or everything is normal ?

Your 3DMark results are pretty much what you should get; I scored 9551 (it's lower than yours because I have an Intel Core 2 Duo E4500 ;))

The GPU Core frequency of 450 is absolutely normal; it's the 2D working frequency used to save power. When you run any 3D applications the card runs at 700Mhz, you can check it running a 3D application and then opening nTune.

If you don't have crashing problems don't exchange the card, consider yourself lucky :p

You have a GV-NX88T512HP with Samsung ram? or is it the GV-NX88T512HP8 heatpipe card?

Are you completely stable at that 800Mhz core speed? Your full load temp is only 68c? Thats nothing, most of the other crap cooler 8800GT's pushed 90c at default fan speed.

What are your gains at that clock increase?

GV NX88T512HP rev1.0 is also know as HP8 (Samsung/Zalman VF830). What about your revision?

Watch out! The MB is out of computer case, in a cool place. What is your full load temperature?

Salud.

Your 3DMark results are pretty much what you should get; I scored 9551 (it's lower than yours because I have an Intel Core 2 Duo E4500 ;))

The GPU Core frequency of 450 is absolutely normal; it's the 2D working frequency used to save power. When you run any 3D applications the card runs at 700Mhz, you can check it running a 3D application and then opening nTune.

If you don't have crashing problems don't exchange the card, consider yourself lucky :p

thanks a lot experiment :)

this will definately safe me from sleepless tonight...

Edit 2: 600/1500/900 => PASS (apparently...). Looks like Gigabyte needs to review their overclocking testing methods :confused:

I think I'm in the same boat as you ExperimentOnGod. My card also plays some games fine others (COD4 mainly for me) will lock up with a BSOD somewhere within 5 to 30 mins (until the crash however it runs sweet). I tried underclocking the memory down below 850 (as I read a recommendation to do so elsewhere) but that made no difference. Going with the settings you noted above seems to be much more stable so far. But I'm curios to know if that was that the end of the crashing problems for you when you set your card to 600/1500/900 or if you still have problems once in awhile? I had mine set to 625/1500/900 last night and I still had another crash after about 20 minutes of COD4 Multi.

Note: I've swapped out everything but the vid card and the problem continues to plague my rig during gaming (I've yet to have a crash when not gaming).

Thanks!

I think I'm in the same boat as you ExperimentOnGod. My card also plays some games fine others (COD4 mainly for me) will lock up with a BSOD somewhere within 5 to 30 mins (until the crash however it runs sweet). I tried underclocking the memory down below 850 (as I read a recommendation to do so elsewhere) but that made no difference. Going with the settings you noted above seems to be much more stable so far. But I'm curios to know if that was that the end of the crashing problems for you when you set your card to 600/1500/900 or if you still have problems once in awhile? I had mine set to 625/1500/900 last night and I still had another crash after about 20 minutes of COD4 Multi.

Note: I've swapped out everything but the vid card and the problem continues to plague my rig during gaming (I've yet to have a crash when not gaming).

Thanks!

I haven't experienced any crashes lately and I have it running at 700/1500/920. Previously it crashed (a lot) in two games (when it was at 700/1715/920). I'm still not really sure if the problem was with those specific games or with the shader overclocking or both (or none...), but it undoubtedly is far more stable with this frequencies, especially in Deus Ex 2 ;)

I haven't experienced any crashes lately and I have it running at 700/1500/920. Previously it crashed (a lot) in two games (when it was at 700/1715/920). I'm still not really sure if the problem was with those specific games or with the shader overclocking or both (or none...), but it undoubtedly is far more stable with this frequencies, especially in Deus Ex 2 ;)

Hmm it crashed again for me last night after 30 mins of COD4 multiplayer with settings at: 600/1500/900

I really like this card but the main reason I bought it was to play COD4 so I guess I'm going to try and work with Gigabyte and see if they will replace it for me. I think I'm going to go out and buy a different version of the 8800GT in the mean time. Perhaps I'll then sell the other one once it's fixed or perhaps it's just a problem with COD4 and this particular card and I aught to suck it up and keep it? I've got $110 credit at microcenter so if they have any 8800GT's in stock it won't cost me too much.

Does anyone else play COD4 with this particular card?

Hmm it crashed again for me last night after 30 mins of COD4 multiplayer with settings at: 600/1500/900

I really like this card but the main reason I bought it was to play COD4 so I guess I'm going to try and work with Gigabyte and see if they will replace it for me. I think I'm going to go out and buy a different version of the 8800GT in the mean time. Perhaps I'll then sell the other one once it's fixed or perhaps it's just a problem with COD4 and this particular card and I aught to suck it up and keep it? I've got $110 credit at microcenter so if they have any 8800GT's in stock it won't cost me too much.

Does anyone else play COD4 with this particular card?

The only reason I haven't RMA'ed mine is because I would have to wait 1+ weeks for the exchange and I can't "afford" that. It only has crashed with 2 games so far, so I don't think the "guys" at the tech service will detect any problems and they would probably send me the card back as it is, wasting my time and money.

That's not your case, so I advise you to try and exchange it

Good luck

Do yourself a favor, and buy something other than Gigabyte.

:)

Again, i want to apologies for misled information. This is a bad product.
To tell you the truth i had high hopes for this card... Instead I got 3 weeks of headache and frustration. effn gigabyte.

Hmmmm... Now its the HP "V1" They can't seem to make up their mind on which version to stick with. So I assume this is the same as the HP8? Its comes clocked at 920 Mhz memory. I thought the HP8 was 950 Mhz on Samsung memory?

GV-NX88T512HP (Deactivated) - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125081

GV-NX88T512HP8 (Deactivated) - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125087

GV-NX88T512HPV1 - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125088

Update on my RMA - It arrived at Gigabyte today, talked to a couple guys there yesterday, one said he would call me with his findings. Can't say I'll be waiting by the phone... Who knows, might be surprised with a call from him. They only use 3DMark06 as a running test. They also have some kind of testing machine. keep you posted.

Hmmmm... Now its the HP "V1" They can't seem to make up their mind on which version to stick with. So I assume this is the same as the HP8? Its comes clocked at 920 Mhz memory. I thought the HP8 was 950 Mhz on Samsung memory?

Update on my RMA - It arrived at Gigabyte today, talked to a couple guys there yesterday, one said he would call me with his findings. Can't say I'll be waiting by the phone... Who knows, might be surprised with a call from him. They only use 3DMark06 as a running test. They also have some kind of testing machine. keep you posted.

It looks like they can't get this model to work well. In my opinion they should exchange ALL pre-V1 cards if requested, for free. That is if this model is not having issues also...

3DMark06 is a poor test in some cases ; I ran my card for 5+ hours running at max settings non stop and it worked perfectly, but in some games I got crashes (until I clocked down the card)

GV-NX88T512HP (Deactivated) - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125081

GV-NX88T512HP8 (Deactivated) - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125087

GV-NX88T512HPV1 - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125088

Well...I can say that I have the Gigabyte 2nd version (if you will) with the Zalman heat-pipe model, GV-NX88T512HP8 & it works great! I did in fact install some RAM heatsinks (Thermaltake CL-C0026) & I must admit I have no issues @ all! Runs super cool & plays all of my games @ 1920x1200 without an issue. Keep in mind that I only play strategy games (HoMM5 etc.) & no FPS types.

I love my card. I wonder what the newest version holds.

I got lost somewhere along this thread... are there now 2 versions of this card using the Zalman cooling fan? :confused: Plus the original version with the stock cooling making it 3 versions all in all?

I got lost somewhere along this thread... are there now 2 versions of this card using the Zalman cooling fan? :confused: Plus the original version with the stock cooling making it 3 versions all in all?
There is a reference up this page a bit with all the Zalman versions + the original cooler. Which makes 4 all together.

Oy, I just ordered this card from NewEgg.... Wish I would have seen this thread earlier... I'm getting the GV-NX88T512HPV1 which sounds like it's the new name for the "HP8".

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125088

I had been watching this card for a while at Newegg and it would be listed for a while and then disappear. Sometimes out of stock, sometimes "poof". In the latest listing, it no longer declares the core/mem speeds in the specs... hmmm. One reviewer said it was still 700 core, though..

It's going in a new build so it will be a while before I receive it and test it (trying Vista for the first time :rolleyes: ) but I will do my best to report back how it performs. I will try that Gamer's HUD utility, also...

Oy, I just ordered this card from NewEgg.... Wish I would have seen this thread earlier... I'm getting the GV-NX88T512HPV1 which sounds like it's the new name for the "HP8".

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125088

I had been watching this card for a while at Newegg and it would be listed for a while and then disappear. Sometimes out of stock, sometimes "poof". In the latest listing, it no longer declares the core/mem speeds in the specs... hmmm. One reviewer said it was still 700 core, though..

It's going in a new build so it will be a while before I receive it and test it (trying Vista for the first time :rolleyes: ) but I will do my best to report back how it performs. I will try that Gamer's HUD utility, also...
I'm doing the same thing here - first new build in six years :p, and I chose this card. I almost ordered the non-heat pipe version, but I got caught in the "poof!" I then decided to go with a Palit, but was gonna get hosed on tax and shipping, so I ended back up with the GB a week later. We'll have to see how it goes. I plan to build this weekend; I'll post back with results.

[edit] I bought mine from "The Club". I bought a PS (Corsair HX520) and this videocard; saved $30 over the 'Egg

Ami missing something?

Whelp, sounds like some of the first versions of this card were hit or miss. Perhaps Gigabyte has fixed the issues with this latest revision as the newest cards are quite different from the original version ....

Even "reliable" vendors sometimes screw the pooch. EVGA had some mad scrambling to do with the 7900GT a couple of years ago but they usually made it right in the end. The good ones do. Gigabyte has been my mobo of choice for my last several builds and they haven't disappointed. Since I have one of these new vid cards coming in, I'll report back how it performs...

Any word on your RMA's? (Those that sent them back to Gigabyte) Mine still hasn't been looked at yet. They said to call Tuesday. Hmmm... :mad:

I'm growing tired of playing ETQW with my X850XT (it has some gfx glitches with that game) Especially since I have spent the $260 dollars for a new card that I only got a couple weeks of use.

Back