Reddit To Crack Down On Abuse

Status
Not open for further replies.
The worst is when the cancerous mods ban you from major subreddits when you did nothing wrong in their sub.

They just do mass bans of all usernames that post on other subs they don't like, so if you're in /r/The_Donald for example you get banned. Or even on a case-by-case basis, as a mod told me after banning me that she doesn't have to provide a reason when I asked what I did (I said only positive-uplifting things with a very high upvote score on that sub and yet got banned out of the blue), and I'm fairly confident its because she checked my post history and saw my worship for the orange faced God emperor or I challenged a post of hers at some point.

Its like c'mon, just because I'm MAGAing my heart out in one sub or disagreeing with you in /r/politics, doesn't mean I have to be banned when all I'm doing is making positive comments about people posting their kitties being cute and crap...

I'm hoping its just a case of temporary misdirected aggression, since these are the salty people that probably cried for hours completely flabbergasted when Hillary lost since the Huffington Post assured them that she had a 99% chance to win and only neo-Nazis support the other candidate, and were completely devistated when their fake reality bubble was burst letting the unwanted real world seep in to their consciousness.
That does seem rather wrong. Is there no dispute process over there?

I'm triggered. Cause I actually agree with you here. But unfortunately, I've been told too many times that I should report instead of responding to posts on here. So that ceases to be an option because certain people WILL report you when you confront them. It's a very Lord of the Flies sort of thing we've got going on here in this forum.
Well a ton of people here are pussies. I have 8 of them ignored. :D

That does seem rather wrong. Is there no dispute process over there?

Generally not. There were ways you could appeal but there's no official system. In the past I have seen people hop on IRC to please their case or message the moderators in /r/reddit.com (which goes to admins) and sometimes they get a ban overturned... there is an automated system that does do shadowbans that is supposed to catch spammers. Eg, someone posts nothing but submissions from the same, highly specific, domain name. After about a half dozen with no comments or submissions from any other site, shadowban kicks in.

As far as anything else goes? If they ban based on something they determine was an action... new account time. That's why there's alts everywhere.

To be fair, it's hard to judge without the original message. Too bad we don't know what it is. :D
Yeah, when I clicked the link to see what message they were referring to, it went to a dead end. No post to see :(

Can we all just go back to Usenet now?
Maybe I'm just not old enough at 35, but I never remember any Usenet newsgroup aside from the ones devoted to roguelikes that wasn't chock full of spam and terrible attempts at pushing viruses. I guess I missed the golden age.

Spez just wants an excuse to start banning T_D subs until he's cleared it all out.

Maybe I'm just not old enough at 35, but I never remember any Usenet newsgroup aside from the ones devoted to roguelikes that wasn't chock full of spam and terrible attempts at pushing viruses. I guess I missed the golden age.

There are/were groups for everything. I used to spend more time on Usenet than the web and liked it a lot but then most people migrated to the moderated web. If you want the best Usenet experience than it's best to pay a 3rd party a monthly fee for premium access, which I used to do for a while. Spam and such exists but you only see what you open so there is no spam really. Just headers that say open my spam.

I find people ranting about forums extremely funny. Its not like there are not millions of them out there. Guess what.. you can even start your own and invite all your friends if you have any for less than a few cups of fancy coffee a month.

I find people ranting about forums extremely funny. Its not like there are not millions of them out there. Guess what.. you can even start your own and invite all your friends if you have any for less than a few cups of fancy coffee a month.
And while you're at it, you can make a Twitter and Youtube competitor. Literally anyone can do it...

C'mon now. Reddit is worth around $50-200 million, and that value is almost entirely in the audience. Herd mentality means that attracting and maintaining a critical mass userbase is very challenging, otherwise you end up like so many dead forums on the net where no one posts but random spam bots, because you have to have people to keep people.

Why do people think they can say whatever the fuck they want wherever the fuck they want without consequences? "Free Speech" doesn't mean you get to say anything at all without repercussions. If you're a total dick fuck asshole and you get reported and banned, then you earned it. Deal with the consequences of YOUR actions.

You people talk like Reddit is the real world. Most of the people who are "toxic" probably wouldn't say half the shit they say online to someone's face. If you said some stupid shit, there would be consequences. Try talking to your boss at work like that and claiming free speech. You aren't going to go to jail, but I bet it doesn't go well.

Meanwhile, the PEOTUS wants to revoke the citizenship of people who burn the American Flag. That's a real threat to freedom of speech.

Idiots.

Last edited:
Kyle does whatever the fuck he wants on this forum because it's his rodeo and he can, and (many of) you guys love him for it. As many like to say around here, it's not a democracy.

I find it massively hypocritical to chide Reddit for this same behavior. If you don't like it, don't use the service - you probably aren't the type of user most people over there want to interact with, anyway.

MavericK said:
you probably aren't the type of user most people over there want to interact with, anyway.
If that were the case, then /r/All, which sorts by popularity, wouldn't constantly be flooded with /r/The_Donald threads, and require the admins to artificially limit ONLY that subs visibility.
Why do people think they can say whatever the fuck they want wherever the fuck they want without consequences?
Trump supporters shouldn't say pro-Trump stuff in a subreddit created specifically to promote Trump (and the biggest Trump forum on the internet I might add), while completely abiding by Reddit's rules?
You people talk like Reddit is the real world. Most of the people who are "toxic" probably wouldn't say half the shit they say online to someone's face. If you said some stupid shit, there would be consequences.
I understand that the consequences will never be the same, but before you report me to the internet police, I'll have you know I graduated top of my class in conflict resolution, and I've been involved in numerous friendly discussions, and I have over 300 confirmed friends. I am trained in polite discussions and I'm the top mediator in the entire neighborhood. You are worth more to me than just another target. I hope we will come to have a friendship never before seen on this Earth. Don't you think you might be hurting someone's feelings saying that over the internet? Think about it, my friend. As we speak I am contacting my good friends across the USA and your P.O. box is being traced right now so you better prepare for the greeting cards, friend. The greeting cards that help you with your hate. You should look forward to it, friend. I can be anywhere, anytime for you, and I can calm you in over seven hundred ways, and that's just with my chess set. Not only am I extensively trained in conflict resolution, but I have access to the entire group of my friends and I will use them to their full extent to start our new friendship. If only you could have known what kindness and love your little comment was about to bring you, maybe you would have reached out sooner. But you couldn't, you didn't, and now we get to start a new friendship, you unique person. I will give you gifts and you might have a hard time keeping up. You're finally living, friend.

Reddit has gone to shit. I've been an avid contributor for 5-6 years, and its just pathetic what it has become. Nothing but SJW's screaming into the echo chamber, a minority of far-right agitators provoking them, celebrities pimping their next shitty movie, and mods unapologetically pushing their politics on eveeyone and banning those who disagree. It's a sad shell of what it was supposed to be.

Kyle does whatever the fuck he wants on this forum because it's his rodeo and he can, and (many of) you guys love him for it. As many like to say around here, it's not a democracy.

I find it massively hypocritical to chide Reddit for this same behavior. If you don't like it, don't use the service - you probably aren't the type of user most people over there want to interact with, anyway.

I would say the community here has grown to have the feels for the owners here. Where as reddit is a different animal. I don't so much think it is hypocritical as I do see it as different communities. Most here have been here a long time, myself I have been here over a decade (used to shop at hypothermia) although I only read the forums and never posted. I kind of would like to see average age here vs average age of reddit. Maybe not in age alone but I bet you could find some interesting things in the demographics of reddit and the subreddits there.

If that were the case, then /r/All, which sorts by popularity, wouldn't constantly be flooded with /r/The_Donald threads, and require the admins to artificially limit ONLY that subs visibility.

The issue is that they were manipulating and exploiting the sticky system to get a flood of posts on /r/all when the actual popularity was not there. So yes, that is exactly what happened and part of why a change was made. It may lead to the same thing happening elsewhere but thus far, /r/The_Donald seems to be the only subreddit that has massively abused that system.

I would say the community here has grown to have the feels for the owners here. Where as reddit is a different animal. I don't so much think it is hypocritical as I do see it as different communities. Most here have been here a long time, myself I have been here over a decade (used to shop at hypothermia) although I only read the forums and never posted. I kind of would like to see average age here vs average age of reddit. Maybe not in age alone but I bet you could find some interesting things in the demographics of reddit and the subreddits there.

I can see that viewpoint. But the issue is that it wasn't remaining individual communities and was spreading to Reddit as a whole. It'd be like if Soapbox threads started leaking out to other parts of [H] (Hah...kind of what is happening here actually...) and the admins here were just like, yep, that's fine. But that's not how it goes and threads either get closed or moved to Soapbox.

Reactions: rat
like this
I can see that viewpoint. But the issue is that it wasn't remaining individual communities and was spreading to Reddit as a whole. It'd be like if Soapbox threads started leaking out to other parts of [H] (Hah...kind of what is happening here actually...) and the admins here were just like, yep, that's fine. But that's not how it goes and threads either get closed or moved to Soapbox.

Kind of reminds me of the power trips admins would have in the IRC days. Messaging friends to ban people from their channels as well, and then sometimes the entire server if you knew someone that helped hosted.

The issue is that they were manipulating and exploiting the sticky system to get a flood of posts on /r/all when the actual popularity was not there.
Uhmmmm what? Real users, like myself, were upvoting the stickies, so they made it to front page. How is that "abuse", and how is that not real popularity or against the rules? Fake popularity would be the use of bots, which the admins have never accused T_D of, and has never been the case. The only fake popularity is the ones the admins created by:
1) Admitting to giving fake upvotes to promote threads they wanted on front page (discovered by accident when Reddit was locked in read-only mode and yet a new thread ended up with 1337 upvotes).
2) Artificially boosting certain subs by making them defaults, so all new users have it on their feeds.

And the admins didn't just prevent T_D stickies from showing up on /r/all, but altered the weight of normal threads, and allowed the stickies to remain on /r/all but invisible to users which meant it counted towards the weight totals any sub is allowed to have on /r/all (thus even displacing non-stickies). Essentially, they have done everything they can to quarantine T_D without making it too obvious or outright banning the sub... really just because they are afraid what will happen when 310K+ very active subscribers backlash, not to mention the negative publicity in the press as it would likely be plastered on Fox News that Steve Huffman is censoring the largest Donald Trump forum on the internet, who happens to be our President Elect no less.

Remember, the last time a self-serving SJW Reddit CEO tried to push her agenda on the masses, she ended up publicly disgraced and fired. You may think of it as just a forum, but its really the opinions of many hundreds of thousands of people, and even the greatest of Roman emperors knew how important it was to keep the plebs content.

Last edited:
Uhmmmm what? Real users, like myself, were upvoting the stickies, so they made it to front page. How is that "abuse", and how is that not real popularity or against the rules? Fake popularity would be the use of bots, which the admins have never accused T_D of, and has never been the case.

To me it sounds like stickied posts are given a much higher priority when it comes to getting listed on /r/All so it's not exactly a pure popularity thing.

BTW - there are still a shit ton of T_D posts on /r/All, including many that are now making up conspiracy theories about T_D /r/All filtering. :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
Reactions: rat
like this
They're doing the same shit before they banned other subs they didn't find appealing to the SJWs that infest that shithole. They banned FPH/CT which caused a major online war ('RWW1/Pao wars http://imgur.com/a/TxmEt), now they are just letting the same false flag/doxxing take place by CTR shills in order to provide a reason to shut the sub down. Same shit, just like when some fucks want to start a proxy mercenary war in a middle east country. Start dissent, shoot cops, shoot protesters, rub hands and walk away.

Hence they identified the hundred most 'toxic' CTR accounts which will be rinsed and replaced... and they'll complain of ongoing hurt fee fees and then sack it.

Now they just took away vote tallys and weight posts differently to squash any free speech/openness. Month ago, 2 up votes = 1 post point. Now it's 4:1....

The_donald must fund an external site be it voat or the_donald.org etc...

Fuck you u/spez, fuck reddigg in general and the SJW cucks who censor free speech under 'hurt fee fees', brown nose the shit out of the admins - read the leaked admin chat logs, it's like 7 year olds at school and they run the place ffs!

Yeah, what a jerk! I'd much rather go with Hillary's jail time and $100,000 fine!

Except the people spreading that meme left out a crucial detail:

It's only jail time and a $100,000 fine if you do it to intentionally intimidate another person or group of people. Just burning it as a statement wouldn't land you in jail or with a fine.

Still a stupid bill to try to pass but the distinction is important. Like how there is a distinction between speech and hate speech. Trump is suggesting that if you burn the flag, period, you should lose citizenship... despite the fact that burning of the flag is actually the proper way to dispose of one according to the flag code.

Another person who doesn't understand what 'free speech' really is.

When you're using a private service and they determine you're behaving in ways that they don't want to tolerate, they're free to kick you off.

Another person who doesn't understand what "free speech" is.

The First Amendment is not the end-all be-all of free speech. Freedom of speech is a philosophical value that transcends government restrictions. It is the concept of promoting the freedom of expression through tolerance, dating back as far as before the birth of Christ. Reddit was founded on those principles and largely operated on them until people like Ellen Pao came along and turned it and every other social media venue into a "safe zone" for progressive extremists to censor opposing viewpoints. It's sickening, and Aaron Swartz is spinning in his grave.

It's only jail time and a $100,000 fine if you do it to intentionally intimidate another person or group of people.

Okay. I'm burning a flag to intimidate my government into not going to war. Oops, guess I'm in jail and broke.

Yay! More fake news!

No threat to shut down the subreddit was ever made!

Of course, you wouldn't have been able to claim such if you linked to the actual Reddit thread.

~snip~

You posted some grossly overlarge image of a reddit post concerning posts being edited in the The_Donald subreddit. The person you were responding to and calling their link "fake news" was about the AltRight subreddit receiving a warning that they would be shut down for "hate speech". If you're going to react with condescension and snark, you might at least actually read what you're declaring as "fake news" before posting unrelated "proof" of your claim.

Kyle didn't found HardOCP on free speech principles and with lofty notions of being an open communications network for people to spread information(and opinions) of all kinds. People like Aaron Swartz did found Reddit with those principles. You're comparing apples and gaming mice.

It's only jail time and a $100,000 fine if you do it to intentionally intimidate another person or group of people. Just burning it as a statement wouldn't land you in jail or with a fine.

Still a stupid bill to try to pass but the distinction is important. Like how there is a distinction between speech and hate speech. Trump is suggesting that if you burn the flag, period, you should lose citizenship... despite the fact that burning of the flag is actually the proper way to dispose of one according to the flag code.

Except that one was an actual sponsored bill, and the other one was a twitter post that said "perhaps". Like you said, the distinction is important ;)

I'd like to nominate rat for Chairman of the Committee on [H] Forum Moderation and Reform.

Reactions: N4CR
like this
Except that one was an actual sponsored bill, and the other one was a twitter post that said "perhaps". Like you said, the distinction is important ;)

Hey get off 'their' (don't want to assume any genders here) back! They gotta make $2 per post somehow.

Kyle called /r/AMD toxic and of course their immediate response is to make a thread dedicated to him and fill it with, you guessed it, toxic comments. I believe I have specifically referred to that subreddit as "toxic" in the past, so it's a very fitting term.

In other news, I am glad Reddit finally added filter options to /r/all. I can finally block all the political subs and browse the site in peace.

Does this mean you despise yourself?
I've reported like 3 posts in 10.5 years...and I'm pretty sure one was yours. And, we've had a conversation about this whole "you trying to troll me but I can't ignore you so you should leave me alone thing."

Yet here we are. Weird.

Why do people think they can say whatever the fuck they want wherever the fuck they want without consequences? "Free Speech" doesn't mean you get to say anything at all without repercussions. If you're a total dick fuck asshole and you get reported and banned, then you earned it. Deal with the consequences of YOUR actions.

You people talk like Reddit is the real world. Most of the people who are "toxic" probably wouldn't say half the shit they say online to someone's face. If you said some stupid shit, there would be consequences. Try talking to your boss at work like that and claiming free speech. You aren't going to go to jail, but I bet it doesn't go well.

Meanwhile, the PEOTUS wants to revoke the citizenship of people who burn the American Flag. That's a real threat to freedom of speech.

Idiots.

For all we know Trump was making fun of Hillary when she said the same thing in 2006 (I believe that was the year). Also, is funny you might have to deal worth the consequences of name calling.

For all we know Trump was making fun of Hillary when she said the same thing in 2006 (I believe that was the year). Also, is funny you might have to deal worth the consequences of name calling.
She sponsored the Flag Protection Act in 2005, not 2006. Its funny because liberals conveniently forget that their own politicians were for this ten years ago and they didn't mind, and it is in fact illegal to burn a cross because of the symbolism... so we accept that burning stuff has symbolic meaning, and burning the US flag is basically saying "Fuck You, America". But that's *NOT* why he is bringing this up right now... more on that later.

People often forget about Trump's negotiating style though, and he does two things consistently:
1) Start arguing over details of the proposal as if the proposal is already a done deal. He calls this "talking past the deal". If you get people arguing about who is going to pay for the wall or how high it will be and so forth, they have already basically accepted a wall is going to be built for example.
2) Start off negotiation with something unreasonable, so that he can pretend to be reasonable and willing to find a "middle ground" in negotiations when he falls back and agrees to something reasonable that he wanted in the first place. So he throws in the citizenship thing, knowing the Supreme Court would never allow it in the first place, so that he can "compromise" and give that up and get something like what Hillary proposed in the first place.

hillary-clinton-flag-burning-2005.jpg

So as I mentioned, Trump doesn't really even care about a Flag Protection Act. I think what he did, and was pretty clever, is simply hand liberals a shovel and let them dig themselves a hole to jump in to. He knew that if he told liberals that hate him that they can't burn the American flag, many of them would be really stupid and on camera in a mass protest would start burning American flags. If he's lucky, they'll even wave some Mexican or other flags in the background. The American people see this on TV, and most are patriotic and respect the flag and what it represents, and will get pissed off at liberals, further solidifying his position.

Yay! More fake news!

No threat to shut down the subreddit was ever made!

Of course, you wouldn't have been able to claim such if you linked to the actual Reddit thread.

Yes there was quite a few threats to shut it down. There are screen shots all over of mod chat with spez in it saying the next move was to delete that sub.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back