RED Will Sell a $1,200 Smartphone with "Holographic Display"

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
You would think that a phone by RED would flaunt some sort of high-end camera, but the defining feature on the company’s “Hydrogen One” will be a holographic display: the press release claims that it uses nanotechnology to switch between 2D content, holographic multi-view content, 3D content, and interactive games. No glasses or headsets are required, but the phone starts at $1,195 for the aluminum model and $1,595 for the titanium version.

RED designs some amazing stuff, would love to get one of these but it's way outside my budget. If you didn't know, Jim Jannard who started Oakley owns RED.

I've had the luxury of meeting with RED and touring their LA production facility (their camera assembly / dev teams). They do cameras extremely well, with thoughtout features. Which makes this a strange announcement, why a phone? I would have expected a more focused product like a smaller RED camera.

My only take is that it's going to be more of a tech demo, aimed at being licensed out, and not so much a mass produced product.

I'm wondering if the screen is a similar, but improved, version of what was used on the Nintendo 3DS.

RED does make absolutely incredible camera bits, and I would wager, completely shit cell phones. No thanks.

Right? I have no idea what this holography technology even looks like. They couldn't even put an example picture on their website?

Yeah, I clicked on Product Details expecting...details? Instead it was just more marketing. The whole spiel about delayed follow-on shipments and no price guarantees has an unpleasant undertone of "You could get 10 bazillion dollars if you ACT NOW! We just need you to send us 5k to clear customs..."

IF this works like they're claiming I would save up and by the cheap one for sure. Not that I have 1200$ lying around but just for the awesome aspect of it and the fact I work cellular retail it would be an amazing show piece for a small Cell phone location. People always ask "what do you use" and if I pulled something like that out it would be amazing.

Claim tech that doesn't exist, but somehow you fit into something the size of a phone and the ability to have the processing power on board a device that small, don't show proof you can do it, and put out a spec sheet thats really a marketing pamphlet with zero specs, then offer preorders for the device at $1,200+....Yeah, ok.

I didn't know real holography is even possible.

Real holography is possible but it currently involves using lasers from a fixed position. The technology to miniaturize it doesn't exist in any usable state right now.

If this thing is legit (and the "product description" of the phone sets off alarm bells (e.g. no description of CPU, display resolution, RAM) ), it is probably a parallax barrier autosteroscopic display, similar to what the Nintendo 3DS uses.

Real holography is possible but it currently involves using lasers from a fixed position. The technology to miniaturize it doesn't exist in any usable state right now.

If this thing is legit (and the "product description" of the phone sets off alarm bells (e.g. no description of CPU, display resolution, RAM) ), it is probably a parallax barrier autosteroscopic display, similar to what the Nintendo 3DS uses.

If it was real holography, and not just real holography, but miniaturized and portable, it would not just be a phone and they would be screaming it from the roof tops, it would change EVERYTHING in displays that we think of today. And they would be coming out with all sorts of stuff or at the very least licensing the tech to others. Smells like rehashed marking gimmick to me.

Yeah, I clicked on Product Details expecting...details? Instead it was just more marketing. The whole spiel about delayed follow-on shipments and no price guarantees has an unpleasant undertone of "You could get 10 bazillion dollars if you ACT NOW! We just need you to send us 5k to clear customs..."

This is their business model. They announce products and get down payments for year-out wait lists. They make high-end products and are geared towards low production. Their website has never been that great, which is ironic because their customer support is pretty good. They offered to loan us some of their top-end camera rigs ($45k ea at the time) and a few techs as long as we shot something cool.

I can't wait for that to come to the big screen. I imagine that's what Avatar 3 is supposed to be shown on.

You would think that a phone by RED would flaunt some sort of high-end camera, but the defining feature on the company’s “Hydrogen One” will be a holographic display: the press release claims that it uses nanotechnology to switch between 2D content, holographic multi-view content, 3D content, and interactive games. No glasses or headsets are required, but the phone starts at $1,195 for the aluminum model and $1,595 for the titanium version.

RED Tube?

EVO 3D COMIN BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dual cameras pshtttttt been there done that

Got the Romeo 1.0 too! Still have that.

RED's stepping up?

RIP Apple.

Buy RED stock now. You think I'm joking? Do you even know their cameras?

One of the main features is a wonky algorithm to put stereo audio into a surround mix through headphones. I've seen this superfluous spec on dozens of crappy devices over the years and you always get the same thing. I have always despised these attempts to take a native stereo and turn it into something it was never intended to be. You always get a hollow stretched sound that doesn't even deliver the same tight sound of the original.

I'd like to see the 'holographic' delivery, although with my own experience of projectors, I don't see how it's possible to get a great display replacing visual with that price point in such a compact package.

Good on them for trying something different though.

This from the company that sells a 2ft USB cable for their RED cameras for $400 or some silly amount.

Good luck affording the phone.

RED's stepping up?

RIP Apple.

Buy RED stock now. You think I'm joking? Do you even know their cameras?

Well it's going to be android, or an OS with zero apps and zero developers. That's not going to disrupt apple in the least. RED had a rough start because they marketed the shit out of themselves long before they hit a point they could even remotely compete with teh slow end of the camera business. Fortunately they had quality in a market willing to stagnate. Mobile isn't like that even a little bit. You drag your ass like RED does, and even if the camrea is cool or display is cool, everything else will look old. That doesn't play well when dealing with people shopping premium price points for tech.

Cant figure out how great cameras translate to great phones. What does "holographic" anything even mean in a phone. Well I guess I gotta see what happens since nobody, anywhere at any time in history could have predicted making the first all in one personal computer would have translated to making phones and folks standing in line to get the latest one. At&T makes my phone, why would I buy another one? Wireless!

"Mobile isn't like that even a little bit", uhhh, are you completely unaware of how the iPhone got popular? They "had quality in a market willing to stagnate", as you put it.

In regards to quality video production cameras, I hear and see everyone talking about and using RED cameras. Like, just look at MKBHD for a prime example. I'm not talking about traditional broadcasters, I'm talking about those actually pushing the industry forward, not the dinosaur cable networks that barely understand wtf is going on.

Well it's going to be android, or an OS with zero apps and zero developers. That's not going to disrupt apple in the least. RED had a rough start because they marketed the shit out of themselves long before they hit a point they could even remotely compete with teh slow end of the camera business. Fortunately they had quality in a market willing to stagnate. Mobile isn't like that even a little bit. You drag your ass like RED does, and even if the camrea is cool or display is cool, everything else will look old. That doesn't play well when dealing with people shopping premium price points for tech.

who needs more specs and reviews, just let us order more than 10 of each at a time please RED!

Back