Red Dragon Case [pics]

Tailin

Limp Gawd
I just finished my new dragon case last week and wanted to praise xoxide for all of their help. None of this would be possible without the superior customer service of Jason at xoxide.com:

3228050989_4f1b23f7e0.jpg

To stave off some of the questions, here's a brief description. I began with a sketch of a red dragon I had done and a concept of how to work this into a Dragon themed case. The case started out as a beige AMS CF-1729. The side vent holes were hammered flat and smoothed over with Bondo. The Red Dragon on the side was cut using #409 cut off wheels and a #9909 tungsten cutter with a Black & Decker RTX.

The top center dragon was cut out of 1/8” Plexiglas using a scroll saw and then painted on the underside. The profile was enlarged 1/8” all around and cut into the top panel. I wanted the case to have texture so a scaled pattern was sculpted into a thin layer of clay on the top panel and then covered in fiberglass resin.

Keeping with the fire theme, I cut a fireball design into the front panel, removing the power switch and relocating the reset switch and LED’s. The resulting holes were covered with Bondo. A power switch for the lights was installed next to the front audio and USB ports.

The entire case was primed and then painted with Dupli-Color Toreador Red. Black was then airbrushed around the edged of the cutouts and at the bottom of the case to fade the paint to a deep red-black. With the paint complete, all of the Plexiglas was attached using Loctite 2 part epoxy. A red dot Bulgin switch was installed in the center of the fireball and backlit with a 4 LED 120mm fan. The top design was lit with 2 12” red cathodes while a single yellow 12” helped to light the design on the side. Additional photos of the case can be found here.

:eek:

that looks really good. i'll actually have to put effort into my next mod now;)

is there a way the fan you used to backlight the switch can get better airflow, or does it get enough already?

crud...I contacted my web host to get it resolved. Should be fixed in a few hours. Sorry.
I edited the first post to point to a temp host.

mucho better, I can see it now. :)

Excellent work, your dremel skillz leave me wanting and ashamed of myself. I really like the cut out on the front bezel, don't see too much of that.

After doing some extensive cutting, could you recommend the Black and Decker RTX over a dremel?
Nice job.

Nice work as always !

I have been thinking about getting back into Modding. Your work makes me want to finish my 2 year old dragon case ;)

SacLANd -

Really, which ever one feels best in your hands is the one to go with. Unless you want to spend the money on a digital Dremel. They are by far the best thing I have ever used and I have done a great deal of dremel work on metal.

omg :drool:

thats quite possibly the coolest thing I have ever seen!

How on earth did you cut that detailed of a design into the case?? I was wanting to put a semi complex design on my next case, but I shy away from it because of the amount of cutting I would have to do...

Just W :eek: :eek: W

I love How the designs look, specially the one on the side panel

Extremely nice job there Tailin. Had to read it like three times to actually beleive you did that by hand. I was looking so hard for CNC, Water Jet, or Laser. ;)

Also grats on getting linked to on the frontpage. hopefully one of the guys will put a pic up there soon. It's damn deserving of it! :cool:

fliposite said:
if you got the tool, most defintely you can do that. so, how about just a set of dremel and lots of cuts...

my modded case 5 years ago, when modding just started.

http://fliposite.dnsalias.com/case.jpg

*cough* attention whore *cough* :p :D

qbert95 said:
Thats amazing. Stupid question but did you use a dremel to cut that out?

He said he used cutoff wheels + RTX for the side and a scroll saw for the top.

WOW!!! I can't believe that this work of art was made possible by the same kind of dremel that I own myself. Of course, I've never modded before, to experience it...

I just noticed the detail of the scales on the top of the case. It adds even more to the case. I love it. I may have to do something similar for my case mod (see sig). What kind of clay and resin did you use and how much? Could you PM me the materials and how you did it. I would really appreciate it.

Back