Red Dead undreadable text

tpfaff

2[H]4U
So just picked it up for 360, basically I cant read anything in the top left corner that tells what you should be doing, the text is freaking tiny AND its cropping the frame incorrectly, it cuts off some of the image on both sides of the screen. I have a 27" hdtv, I've tried changing numerous settings to no avail. Anyone else have this problem? I think i might return it... :(

no but your TV should have an adjustment feature so that you can get the whole screen to show up.

See if your TV has a "dot-by-dot" setting, that will eliminate the overscan if it has that setting.

I have a similar issue on an older projection "HDTV". Shit sucks. Glad I don't use it for anything other than movies.

What TV is it? Might help diagnose it.

If it's a old projection tv you can't read shit, it worked fine on my LCD tv...

It's a samsung slimfit crt, the picture looks great and its only like 2 -3 years old

cant find an overscan option, messed with all other settings in the xbox and the tv and cant get the picture to fit correctly. =(

btw I haven't had this problem with any other games

Try entering the service menu. Power off the tv, press MUTE, 1, 8, 2, then POWER.

This thread details some of the settings for the service menus for Samsung TVs, including your SlimFit. However, you won't get rid of overscan 100%, but you should be able to make it usable. I was able to get it down to about 5% on my TX-R2678 (a 26" model). But still there's this annoying upward bow in the screen which no tweaking will fix.

EDIT: It appears that Samsung CRTs are notorious for overscan, geometry, and convergence issues. Seems to stem from poor engineering of the set itself.

Last edited:
Try playing with the TV display settings before messing with the service menus.
Try changing scaling options, especially the ones that swap between 4:3, 16:9, Full, etc.
Also, set the image to go 4:3 and see if the text is blurry (yes, I know it'll be scrunched) in that image. If it is - that's a different issue.

Back