Red Dead Redemption 2

I can't even get the game to launch. I just get 'The rockstar game launcher failed' when I hit play.

The game both looks and runs horrendously. Literally the worst performance I've ever seen, second only to ARK maybe.
The game appears to only use Vulkan/DX12 and I've had problems with Nvidia's Vulkan support before, I assume it's a Windows 7 issue.

I'll do more benchmarking and compare to others' results. For now I would describe the game as basically unplayable. For me, anyway.

WTF, in the launcher error log it's telling me the launcher see's 'problems' with the Outer Worlds app/game and that's why it won't launch.

This is fucking stupid.

The game both looks and runs horrendously. Literally the worst performance I've ever seen, second only to ARK maybe.
The game appears to only use Vulkan/DX12 and I've had problems with Nvidia's Vulkan support before, I assume it's a Windows 7 issue.

I'll do more benchmarking and compare to others' results. For now I would describe the game as basically unplayable. For me, anyway.

Choppy frames or what? You'd think your 1080ti would be plenty to run it.

Choppy frames or what? You'd think your 1080ti would be plenty to run it.
I maxed every single slider, except MSAA and Resolution Scale, the game is running pretty solid at 30fps. GPU is maxed 99%.
CPU running 30-40% in the city, pretty light.
I reset everything to default, left all the "Advanced" options off, using the default "Ultra" (max) preset I'm sitting around 60 with GPU maxed.

This is all the in-game benchmark tool.

And like I said it looks pretty bad. I haven't gotten into the actual game yet. The benchmark tool only works once and then I have to restart the game.

Once I can actually get to the normal game I'll tweak settings more. The intro cinematic seems to be running smoother than the bench, that's for sure.

Looks like i'm returning the game. Can't even get the game to run as the rockstar launcher is just crashing when I hit play, nothing has helped to fix it.

Bench mark average of 68 frames for me @1440p

Basically on medium to medium high.

1070ti

I just noticed the "Advanced" options at the bottom are tied to the regular graphics options at the top. I believe they're all the same you just get more individual sliders on the bottom.

Any performance difference between DX12 / Vulkan?

At work for 7 more hours... who releases a game at 8am. Just opened it, experienced about 8 seconds gameplay, looked at the menus, then left

Any performance difference between DX12 / Vulkan?

At work for 7 more hours... who releases a game at 8am. Just opened it, experienced about 8 seconds gameplay, looked at the menus, then left

DX12 running like poop for me.

Tanking to like 30 frames with same settings with Vulkan.

Snow Level is first go and it's probably the most taxing in the game Id say.

But staying in the mid 50s to low 60s for the most part in vulkan.

On a side note - controls and default keybinds are weird as hell.

G for this, f for that, TAB for this and E for that.

Kind of strange.

I think pc games are happy enough to get a console exclusive to care about a first party store giving better deals. I'm waiting for GOG 2.0.as long as everything supports it things will improve for pc gamers, at least we can be optimistic for a true steam rivil.

If you start Online, it takes you right into the regular map. You have to make a character and sit through a cutscene though.
It's running better than the benchmark and snow level. I manage to hold 60 with everything maxed except the Volumetric settings.

Still runs like poop, overall. And the TAA looks really bad.

Still runs like poop, overall. And the TAA looks really bad.

I'm waiting to see some online benchmarks, should be interesting to get an idea where the 5700's sit as well. There are so many variables affecting the performance, driver versions, 4 core / 6 core / 8 core, HT ON vs OFF, Win 7 (as in your case) v.s Windows 10 (and even then 1809 vs 1903...) Plus TBH, the only people we're hearing from are the one's who say the performance is crap, so it'd also be interesting to hear the setups from the people who may have the game running butter smooth.

At work so I'll have to try it later tonight, going to run it on a 5700 XT. I'd like to see some bench's from a Clean W10 Install, all updates, latest drivers, no other launchers running, AMD & NV. Not the reality of everyone running it of course but still, would give a better performance indicator.

Last edited:
Anyone with a 2080ti that is getting the game to run?

I matched this guy's settings and got 56fps, which means his 66fps is 17% faster (2080 Super).

Unfortunately it seems like my performance is about where it should be.

I don't know... after playing this game on PS4 last year, this game looks pretty damn good on PC, and even on medium to medium high settings on 1440p.

Not sure what's going on with you all, but it's pretty smooth for me.

Random screenshot of what I'm looking at.

AuJfigA.jpg

I don't know... after playing this game on PS4 last year, this game looks pretty damn good on PC, and even on medium to medium high settings on 1440p.

Not sure what's going on with you all, but it's pretty smooth for me.

Random screenshot of what I'm looking at.

View attachment 197572
I haven't played it on my PS4 since the spring so I can't compare, but damn that looks good :) Will try it out tonight, hopefully the pre-load is complete by the time I'm home.

That shot definitely looks better than the console version IMO. I feel like the Xbox One X version looked great, but always a little blurry. Whatever AA they used is muddy as hell.

My new rig will be up and running tomorrow. Interested to see what kind of frames ill get at 4K max with a 2080ti and 9900k (hopefully) around 5ghz. I saw the PC Gamer review that said 4K Max settings even a 2080ti won't cut it, but that would be with MSAA which frankly isn't needed @ 4K. I can live with medium shadows as well. But I upgraded so I can at least use Vsync at 60hz and get away from screen tearing.

Anyone familiar with the console version know how the Season works in RDO? I went into the catalog to buy the Outlaw Pass but it's not listed. So I guess it hasn't started yet?
I thought it was supposed to start right away.

It sounds like there a lot of technical issues happening in the early goings. I guess I'll wait it out a bit.

I hit the "Collector" role from the menu and after fast traveling my game is basically locked to 30fps.
Restarting doesn't fix it, all my options are the same. It's just stuck.

Switching to single player jumps back to 60, though.

Here I'm at 35fps and nothing is maxed.

OA6PuyX.png

Last edited:
8700K at 5 Ghz and EVGA 2080 Ti @ 2100. I would love to tell you guys how the game runs seeing as I purchased it day 1 pre launch on Rockstar....... Thing is, I can't even fucking launch the game without getting a black screen!!!!!! All the recent online thread on fixes are not working..... Probably just wait for a patch fix and go back to playing Outer worlds which runs and plays like a dream!!!

Deleting my toon and making a new one put me back at 60fps.
Some kind of permanent character bug... not good.

They spent a lot of time porting GTA5 and it coincided with releases on the newer consoles. They even delayed and added additional optimizations to the PC version. Wild guess, this one probably didn't get the same amount of love.

This brings up memories of "but can it run Crysis" fiasco. Still looking forward to playing it once they fix the issues.

Reactions: Q-BZ
like this
They spent a lot of time porting GTA5 and it coincided with releases on the newer consoles. They even delayed and added additional optimizations to the PC version. Wild guess, this one probably didn't get the same amount of love.

The thing about making a console version first, and releasing the PC version later, is obviously that the game was originally built around a pre-defined set of hardware, drivers, and OS. R* says they were always planning on bringing RDR2 to PC, but maybe it really was an afterthought. Regardless, they now have to work around getting the game to perform optimal on a VAST amount of hardware configurations, OS versions, driver versions, etc... etc... I can't imagine the logistics in making all that come together, but it happens all the time with developers who make ports. Some just are better optimized then others. Sucks the console world seems to get the preferential treatment first, with the PC crowd being an afterthought for many games. Hopefully with patches RDR2 will smooth, out but I also suspect those with hardware closer to what's in the PS4 Pro and XBO-X might have a smoother experience. Eg; 8 cores etc...

Make sure you're running RDR2 Nvidia driver, 441.12

Gameplay smooth here after turning settings down, but graphically demanding game is demanding, this isn't a surprise.

Last edited:
So far this thread is the most informative. I am gonna have to delay purchasing on the PC for a few weeks to let patches come out. Specs below, i'm thinking this may tax my system hard. I played and finished on the PS4, put about 5 days worth of hours into it....and ready for more Red Dead!!!!

Can anyone playing RDO confirm that selecting a role breaks your fps or not? I just tested Collector again on my new character and I'm back to half fps.
Gotta delete again.

Is there a resolution render option in the menu? Seems like a really easy 1-step tweak for the 2080Ti could be to take that to 85-90%.

I just returned Outer Worlds due to it being a stuttery mess; was hoping to pick this up today. Glad I waited for some reports. Seems people with 2080Ti's and 8700k's are getting ~70fps at 1440p Ultra. Unacceptable.

On the bright side, Witcher 3 HD Reworked 10.0 looks stunning and this will give me time to finish Blood and Wine. It seems best to just stick to games that have aged a few years, in order to really enjoy them to the fullest.

Yikes, i was thinking of purchasing a 1660 super to replace my 1060, however at those framerates on the guru3D test (1440p) that's really not going to cut it.

Oh boy.

Back