Recording streaming audio

Weaksauce
I just swapped out my Audigy 1 and installed a Revo 7.1card. Everything is just peachy ... except that I can't seem to record streaming audio -- neither CoolEdit Pro or Goldwave detect a signal. I've tried from several sources but I get nada.

I'm probably missing something obvious, but I just don't see it. :rolleyes:

Any ideas on what I should check?

TIA

first figure out how to get the audio to stop coming out of your speakers.... also should you legaly be able to record what you are listening to?

first figure out how to get the audio to stop coming out of your speakers.

Shouldn't matter, its whats going thru the soundcard live. Never mattered with the Audigy.

also should you legaly be able to record what you are listening to?

Yes.

well if you can figure out how to stop the audio you can figure out how to send it where you want it.....

As long as you have permission.

Try the "What you hear" option.
If you hear the audio, and it does not record, chances are the "record device" is incorrectly set... or its muted, or very low volume....... etc.

~Hope this helps

Thanks for the reply.

I've checked and rechecked the settings/options ... nothing is muted and all volume settings are at 80% or so. The Audigy card let me record 'What you hear' but the recorder doesn't pick up any signal from the Revo. Speakers & headphone work flawlessly, btw.

Does anyone know of a setting in the Revo software I should be checking?

Thanks Mr. X, not what I was looking for though. I have no interest in recording that type of stream. You'd probably say the same thing if you were stuck in the woods with dialup.
:D (Though I doubt I'd be interested even if I had broadband.)

Bottom line is: I can't record anything from any source like I could with the Audigy card.
It just always worked ... anything going thru the speakers could be recorded 'live' via CoolEdit or whatever.

Maybe I'll Ghost my system back and re-install the Audigy ... just to see. I'm curious enuff about this to do it.

Thx folks!

Wouldn't it be a whole lot easier to just use a cable and patch in the output back into the input on the revo? ;) ;)
Problem there is you take a digital stream convert it to analog and then reconvert it back to digital (but it allows you to record anything the card is playing)

You'd probably say the same thing if you were stuck in the woods with dialup.
What makes you think I'm not? :confused:

I have no interest in recording that type of stream.
Let me try my magic hat....... DAMNIT it's still broken. :(
How are we posta know what you are talking about if you don't tell us?

you got a modded xbox? I use xbox media center.

[edit: err.. I thought he meant online streams too going by the title..]

I apologize, it seems my limited knowledge in audio terminology has led to
some confusion. What I've been calling 'audio stream' is the audio signal
that is passing thru the soundcard. (I can just feel all the eyes rolling and I
deserve it. LOL)

So ... here is the dilema. T'was a time with the Audigy card that any signal
passing thru the soundcard to the speakers from any source was recordable.
Even signals from multiple sources played simultaneously were recordable. I adjusted
the volume level ... hit Record and let it run as long as needed. Then I saved the track
in any format I wanted. (Yes, we are talking about non-copywritten material.)

It was as simple as Play and Record -- no fuss, no muss, no cables, patches or
setting adjustments.

Now I just don't have that 'What you hear' functionality, whether that be the fault of the
Revo, some software setting or my own stupidity. Its as simple as that. No signal
is going to the recorder from any of the sources I've tried.

I hope that clears up at least some of the confusion.

Be gentle. :D

Back