• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Recommended case for non-reference 2 x GTX 980 build?

David-Duc

[H]ard|Gawd
2FA
Joined
Dec 22, 2010
Messages
1,323
I'm considering replacing my current case, a Corsair 200R, with something better to improve the temperature on the video cards since they run pretty toasty. Keep in mind that the 980s are not reference, they're MSI gaming model so they're not blowing hot air outside of the case.

System:
- 4770k with Corsair H80, Asus Z87-A ATX mobo
- 2 * MSI GTX 980 Gaming - dual axial fans that exhaust hot air inside
- 2 HDD and 1 SSD.
- NO optical drive.

Right now I have 03 cases to consider (budget is ~$150, can go up to $200 if the case is exceptional), prefer simple and no frills looking case, I'm not a fan of leds and acrylic windows:
SilverStone FT05
Fractal Design Define R5
Corsair Obsidian 750D

Any inputs will be greatly appreciated :D
 
Yeah, prefer silent cases and I'm leaning toward the FT05, even considered the FT02 because I really like the design but it seems like they work best with video cards that exhaust hot air outside. How well are they going to work with a pair of non-reference 980 ? Right now with side panel of the 200R on, they're running at 85 deg. C full load. With side panel off and a box fan blowing into the case, they won't go higher than 73 deg. C :D

/Edit: read the FT05 with 970 SLI and it seems like the FT05 does an ok job at keeping the cards cool but how does it compare to the define R5?
 
Last edited:
Yeah, prefer silent cases and I'm leaning toward the FT05, even considered the FT02 because I really like the design but it seems like they work best with video cards that exhaust hot air outside. How well are they going to work with a pair of non-reference 980 ? Right now with side panel of the 200R on, they're running at 85 deg. C full load. With side panel off and a box fan blowing into the case, they won't go higher than 73 deg. C :D
Do you have a top mounted exhaust fan? Not next to the DVD area but next to the rear exhaust.
/Edit: read the FT05 with 970 SLI and it seems like the FT05 does an ok job at keeping the cards cool but how does it compare to the define R5?
It'll do a better job than the R5, that's for sure. As the SPCR article pointed out, the R5's traditional layout means that the top card will generally run warmer than the bottom card. Which means an increase in noise.
 
I have a system housed in a Fractal Design Define R5, it is quiet but I feel that the build quality is pretty poor. I also have the big brother of Corsair Obsidian 750D the 900D. The build quality of that thing is horrendous. It flexes, the doors don't line up, the cable management around the hard drive bays is appalling. The final nail in the coffin was the GPU cooling. With my three 7950's in crossfire the cards were sitting at 85C with two fans blowing directly on them. I ended up moving my rig into an old Lian LI V2000 and they dropped 15C with fewer fans. No way would I recommend the 900D or the 750D since it has a similar layout.

SilverStone FT05 looks pretty good, I'd also take a look at the Lian Li PC-7HWX.
 
Back
Top