• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Recommendations please!!! New Build

tru.dat

n00b
Joined
Mar 6, 2008
Messages
24
My current build is -
Pentium 4 2.8
1 Gig pc2100 ddr
Ati 9600xt pci
WD 80gig 5400 rpm


My new build is -
Intel Duo E2180
Abit ip35-e or Gigabyte ga-p35 ( waiting for a killer deal on either one )
Corsair 2gigs 800mhz 5-5-5-12
Seagate Barracuda 350gig sata


Can you recommend me a new video card for this build.
I only play TF2 and CS:S. Right now im only getting 20fps on my 19" crt.
So what card should i get? I dont want to spend more than 150$
Also will i notice a huge difference with this new build?
 
I'd say the only gaming worthy card out there right now in your price range is the 8800gs, although you might be able to find a 9600gt on sale. I've heard people say they've had problems with the 9600gt's but I haven't experienced any myself. You could play TF2 on a lesser card just fine, but I doubt it would be worth much going forward if you found any other games you liked.
 
Hello. Before buying the card, I would recommend getting a decent power supply such as Corsair, or Antec. Matching the power supply to the system is important. A good power supply is a Corsair 550VX or HX520.

As for the card I would recommend a 9600GT. It can be purchased for as little as $149.99.
 
sweet thanks guys. i was holding off on a power supply to see which card i decided on. i know some of the lower end cards wont be real power hungry.
 
i dont have a psu yet. im looking at something around 500$ i just saw a special in neweggs email ad today.
Raidmax Hybrid 530 Watt ATX12V/ EPS12V Modular Power Supply for 53$
 
You'd be better off getting a quality brand PSU that will last. It'd be a shame to buy nice hardware and then have it be fried by a cheap PSU. Look for offerings from Seasonic, Corsair, or Enermax. For your set-up, any quality 400W PSU will be more than enough power. You said ~$50 (I take it that was a typo and you didn't mean $500 for a PSU :D), this Corsair would be perfect: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139003
Wattage rating is only a small factor in the overall quality of a PSU, but that Corsair should fit your build very well and is in your price range with the rebate.
 
I second the recommendation for the Corsair 450VX. It's an excellent quality PSU and has more enough power for your rig.
 
woah yea sorry 500$ was a major typo. this whole rig wont hit the 500$ mark i bet haha. thanks for the advice on the psu. i think im gonna grab that one.
 
Back
Top