• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Recommendations for my setup?

kevineugenius

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Dec 9, 2006
Messages
1,415
Just built a nice system but you know it'll be upgrade time very soon, that's just how life works when we're employed :p.

Case: POS, need a new one
Mobo: Gigabyte Z68 UD4
CPU: 2600k
RAM: 2x4gb Ripjaws
GPU: XFX 6870
HDDs: 1x 10k rpm 1x 7200rpm
ODs: 1x BD
Other: PCI sound card, dual-fan CPU cooler

The upgrade planned is to move into a HAF 932 (maybe 922 but I don't think the fit of large video cards in those is quite good enough for me), add a second 6870, add an SSD, and upgrade the PSU. My current thought is a Corsair 850w but I may need to go higher than that. I have no experience whatsoever with high-end power supplies, so I'd very much appreciate constructive and factual input about what I should look for, why you recommend brand-x over brand-y, why selection a is worth the extra money over selection b, that sort of thing.
 
2x 6870 overclocked ~ 350W @ full load
2600k ~ 130W
the rest < 50W

A high end 550W units or a decent 600W unit will be more than plenty.. AX850 if for a whole different ball game..
What's your budget and where are you buying from?
 
Current PSU is a Hipro HP-W700WC3 which seems to have good reviews on Newegg and has plenty of wattage for what I currently run, but I'm told it's not a good clean solution and I may be gambling a bit by using it.

Will be buying from Newegg, budget is TBD but I reaaaaally cringe at spending more than $100 on a power supply. I remember the good ol' days when I got a case with a power supply for my builds for $50 and they were bulletproof and gave me no problems :)
 
Current PSU is a Hipro HP-W700WC3 which seems to have good reviews on Newegg and has plenty of wattage for what I currently run, but I'm told it's not a good clean solution and I may be gambling a bit by using it.

Will be buying from Newegg, budget is TBD but I reaaaaally cringe at spending more than $100 on a power supply. I remember the good ol' days when I got a case with a power supply for my builds for $50 and they were bulletproof and gave me no problems :)

Hipro makes good units.. in fact, the one you have is probably better than most 700W units under 100$ on newegg atm ;)
It will provide 600W of 12v power which is a few steps beyond what you need for a 6870 CFX setup.
 
So, since I now have a recommendation for and against my own PSU... should I just keep the beast? It's got two more PCIe connections and has given me no reason to doubt other than someone who I deemed as knowledgeable told me it wasn't a good unit....
 
I still don't think that HiPro is a good unit. I would replace it if you can afford to. However if you can't afford to, just follow Zero82z's recommendation. He's a lot more knowledgeable about PSUs than I am.
 
PC Power and Cooling seems to have a very nice reputation. I've been thinking of getting one from them if I ever go to SLI again.
 
PC Power and Cooling seems to have a very nice reputation. I've been thinking of getting one from them if I ever go to SLI again.
Only a handful of PC P&C PSUs are worth buying these days sadly. Even then there are often better PSUs in the price range of those good PC P&C PSUs.
 
I would be hunting for a quality case as well...

I personally really prefer Lian-Li... light and intelligently designed. I did a build with their PC-K57 Lancool ($59.99 on Newegg) and it was a good balance of function, appearance, and price although a bit heavy at the expense of steel panels on a Lian-Li.
 
With regards to the HAF 922 and big video cards...

I have crossfire 6950s in my system. One of them is the large reference card that's over 11 inches long. It fits no problem. Really the 922 is a large mid-tower case.
 
Back
Top