Recommendations for 27" to 30" IPS.

Some of you seem to have some misconceptions in regard to how size is properly measured on a display device. It isn't measured in inches but in field of view from your viewing distance. You can figure this out with the Pythagorean Theorem and some trigonometry.

A 30" monitor viewed from 2 feet is the exact same size as a 50" TV viewed from 3.5 feet. Both cases give about a 55° FOV. If you sit farther than 3.5 feet from that 50" TV (and just about everyone does), it is SMALLER than the 30" monitor at 2 feet and will give a less immersive presentation.

THX actually recommends a 40° FOV for viewing, so a 30" monitor at a two foot viewing distance is actually way too big according to them. You would have to sit about 3 feet from a 30" monitor to get a 40° FOV and about 5 feet from a 50" TV to get the same; and to reiterate, if you sit farther than 5 feet from that TV it is SMALLER than the 30" monitor at 3 feet.

So anyone saying a display device is too small without specifying viewing distance has a rather fundamental misunderstanding of the issue.

All true, but your missed something. You are assuming that all display devices have the same characteristics and they do not. The differences between a good Plasma TV and 30 IPS panel are very noticable. A larger screen is more immersive. It has the psycholoical effect of pulling you into the scene that the director created and this cannot be described with trig.

Last edited:
The U3011 is a better choice. The U2711 is a dwarf next to it.
As you are not a gaming fanatic, any modern IPS or TN monitor (except a few PVA-based models) will suit your needs as far as input lag and pixel response time are concerned.
HP zr30w has limitation in scaling (no external devices for blu-ray). You can use it with a PC only.
The difference between DVD and Full HD video is very visible on any monitor.
Although I use an LCD monitor as a reference for plasma TVs calibration, the "real" Full HD experience is possible beginning with 50" and higher on a good plasma TV.
The monitor below provides exceptional viewing angles, but the whole viewing experience (for blu-ray) on a larger screen behind it is much better.

4x4720.jpg

This is a limited time posting.

Agreed, but the NEC 2490UXi has a ATW polorizer that both 27 and 30 inch LG panels lack, so the comparison with the Kuro pictured would be much worse for the LCD.

Dave

Last edited:
From another current thread:

I've pretty much resorted to playing pc games on my 58" plasma only, just use the 30" IPS for desktop/internet browsing. Also miss my 22" diamondtron, but screen area became its downfall. Size and weight mattered not, at 85lbs I took it to LANs frequently.

Some of you seem to have some misconceptions in regard to how size is properly measured on a display device. It isn't measured in inches but in field of view from your viewing distance. You can figure this out with the Pythagorean Theorem and some trigonometry.

Most of us aren't misunderstanding this at all. It just happens to be one bad troll.

Almost every major HDTV review source states that whatever sample they use (usually in the 40-50-inch range) applies to all the models of that series, so picture quality should be similar regardless of size.

I love how this troll ignores the fact that the OP wants to use the monitor for gaming too, and presumably as a PC monitor.

Most of the larger HDTVs have horrible input lag and questionable response rates, plus the lack of 4:4:4.

Immersion for games is definitely important, but who says that one cannot get up close a 30-inch monitor during a gaming session? Smaller screens merely limit your viewing distance, not overall image quality. Personally, I would want 32-inches + for gaming, but the OP is asking about 27-30-inch screens, and this troll comes along to spew his nonsense.

I love how this troll ignores the fact that the OP wants to use the monitor for gaming too, and presumably as a PC monitor.

Most of the larger HDTVs have horrible input lag and questionable response rates, plus the lack of 4:4:4.

Immersion for games is definitely important, but who says that one cannot get up close a 30-inch monitor during a gaming session? Smaller screens merely limit your viewing distance, not overall image quality. Personally, I would want 32-inches + for gaming, but the OP is asking about 27-30-inch screens, and this troll comes along to spew his nonsense.

Thanks for clearing that up, it kinda sucks when someone hijacks your post and starts arguments totally off-topic =/. Anyway, it seems to be narrowed down to the U3011, U2711 and ZR30w. My original, clear choice would be the U3011, it's just the large price increase over the U2711 that has me hesitant. I haven't seen or heard much about the ZR30ww, but it seems to be good as well. What would you recommend?

Cheers!

You are assuming that all display devices have the same characteristics and they do not. The differences between a good Plasma TV and 30 IPS panel are very noticable.

The only one making an assumption is you. I never made any such claim. You're guilty of red herring fallacy.

A larger screen is more immersive.

The size of a screen is relative to viewing distance and the diagonal measurement of the screen is irrelevant without taking that into account. A 30" monitor at 2 feet is more immersive than a 50" at 10 feet. This is based on actual science, not opinion.

THX engineers didn't pull a 40° FOV out of a hat because they thought it sounded good. It's based upon the capabilities of human vision. Bigger than that and you can't focus on the entire screen because too much information is pushed into the periphery and smaller than that makes it less immersive because it doesn't fill your field of view.

It has the psychological effect of pulling you into the scene that the director created and this cannot be described with trig.

It's definitely psychological, as in your belief is entirely in your head and not backed up by any science.

Most of us aren't misunderstanding this at all. It just happens to be one bad troll.

I definitely know you understand. Your post on resolution versus viewing distance was spot on.

I was just trying to be nice by being ambiguous and not pointing fingers in my original response...

Thanks for clearing that up, it kinda sucks when someone hijacks your post and starts arguments totally off-topic =/. Anyway, it seems to be narrowed down to the U3011, U2711 and ZR30w. My original, clear choice would be the U3011, it's just the large price increase over the U2711 that has me hesitant. I haven't seen or heard much about the ZR30ww, but it seems to be good as well. What would you recommend?

Cheers!

It's a pretty simple choice really. If your just into computer gaming and don't care about hooking up a PS3 or what not and want the lowest input lag and price, get the ZR30W. If you want to hook up consoles etc and want a ton of inputs, get the U3011.

A 30" monitor viewed from 2 feet is the exact same size as a 50" TV viewed from 3.5 feet. Both cases give about a 55° FOV. If you sit farther than 3.5 feet from that 50" TV (and just about everyone does), it is SMALLER than the 30" monitor at 2 feet and will give a less immersive presentation.

THX actually recommends a 40° FOV for viewing, so a 30" monitor at a two foot viewing distance is actually way too big according to them. You would have to sit about 3 feet from a 30" monitor to get a 40° FOV and about 5 feet from a 50" TV to get the same; and to reiterate, if you sit farther than 5 feet from that TV it is SMALLER than the 30" monitor at 3 feet.

So anyone saying a display device is too small without specifying viewing distance has a rather fundamental misunderstanding of the issue.

Great information Man, thanks!

Back