• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

recommend me a quad

rcf1987

2[H]4U
Joined
Aug 9, 2004
Messages
3,759
looking to upgrade my puny e5200 with something a little beefier i am also planning on upgrading to 4gb of ddr2 1066 and a 5850. can someone recommend me something was thinking of something cheap like a q8200 or something. i think ima need to upgrade my psu as well with a 300w power draw on the 5850 and a 100W on most of the quads im looking at the 500w silverstone i have prolly wont cut it
 
I have to agree. The Q9550's at Micro Center are the best price/performance processors on LGA 775. Also, am I crazy or did the Q9550 just jump from $219 back to $269 on Newegg?
 
Last edited:
Heh, yeah the Q9550's at Newegg seem to be price-gouged a bit. They can still be found at Superbiiz and Amazon with much better pricing.
 
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Yeah the q9550 is a great cpu especially if you have high clocking ram/mobo.
Personally I'm still trying to decide if I should buy a used q6600, save a little more and get a q9550, or just sale my cpu/ram/mobo and upgrade to a i5 system.
 
I vote for going i5 or i7.... if you wanna shop around you can even get an LGA1366 i7 setup for not that much.

To upgrade my system, I had to buy, MB, RAM, CPU.

MB - ASROCK x58 Deluxe - $164 - (newegg open box)

CPU - i7 920 - $243 - Ebay - no Microcenter near me either... they have them for $199

RAM - 6GB DDR3-2000 $150 - Ebay

Total : $557

As soon as my processor arrives I will be setting it up and shooting for 4Ghz+

I am also building a rig for my brother in law... selling him a P35 MB and 4GB DDR2-800 for $150 to help bring down my cost....

So yeah, it is really quite affordable to go to an i7 system. At this point in time I wouldn't even think about upgrading a 775 system unless it was running an old P4 and all it needed speed wise was a cheap C2D based chip for like $50-60.
 
I vote for going i5 or i7.... if you wanna shop around you can even get an LGA1366 i7 setup for not that much.

To upgrade my system, I had to buy, MB, RAM, CPU.

MB - ASROCK x58 Deluxe - $164 - (newegg open box)

CPU - i7 920 - $243 - Ebay - no Microcenter near me either... they have them for $199

RAM - 6GB DDR3-2000 $150 - Ebay

Total : $557

As soon as my processor arrives I will be setting it up and shooting for 4Ghz+

I am also building a rig for my brother in law... selling him a P35 MB and 4GB DDR2-800 for $150 to help bring down my cost....

So yeah, it is really quite affordable to go to an i7 system. At this point in time I wouldn't even think about upgrading a 775 system unless it was running an old P4 and all it needed speed wise was a cheap C2D based chip for like $50-60.

not gonna happen
 
not gonna happen

Thought I would throw it out there anyway....

In that case.. Q6600 or Q9550. And yeah, you will need a better power supply if ya get a 5850.

I would recommend looking for something that is 80+ certified with Active PFC.

Look at the minimun requirements for the vid card and try to go at least 100w higher.
 
prolly get a 750w with the active pfc and the 80 cert. I think Ill prolly end up buying a used q6600
 
I ran a Q9400 at 3.2ghz, 4x 1gb 800mhz ddr2, P5Q Pro P45, and a 4870x2 on a 650w Antec Neopower. I would think a 500 watt could handle a 5850 and a quad on an intel system.
 
Corsair HX650 and the Q9550. The 9550 will run cooler , faster stock speed , and the Corsair can handle plenty. Just my $.02. just upgraded to an i7 920 system and I haven't yet decided if the expense was worth it.
 
+1 for the Q9550. Great quad that will last you for some time and a noticeable upgrade from your E5200.
 
if i can find a good deal on the 9550 ill get it, damn i wish there was a microcenter around here
 
Wish I had a microcenter nesar me. Id buy a Q9550 and sell my e8400 in a heart beat.
Posted via [H] Mobile Device
 
Wish I had a microcenter nesar me. Id buy a Q9550 and sell my e8400 in a heart beat.
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

I have considered the same upgrade, but I have an E8600 @ 4.1GHz, stock voltage which makes ditching it for a quad even harder. I don't game, but have always wondered if a quad would help with simple things like burning a DVD while surfing, which causes lag even on my system, don't know why? With my E8600 it would seem that upgrading to an i7 920 or 860 would be the only really full upgrade right now. I am wrong?
 
I have considered the same upgrade, but I have an E8600 @ 4.1GHz, stock voltage which makes ditching it for a quad even harder. I don't game, but have always wondered if a quad would help with simple things like burning a DVD while surfing, which causes lag even on my system, don't know why? With my E8600 it would seem that upgrading to an i7 920 or 860 would be the only really full upgrade right now. I am wrong?

Personally, I went with a quad and it seems a little less laggy when doing multiple things on a computer. I don't think you need to do a full upgrade as an OC'd 9550 will not be too much slower than a 920/860 depending on what you're doing and you're only changing out that once piece.
 
I have considered the same upgrade, but I have an E8600 @ 4.1GHz, stock voltage which makes ditching it for a quad even harder. I don't game, but have always wondered if a quad would help with simple things like burning a DVD while surfing, which causes lag even on my system, don't know why? With my E8600 it would seem that upgrading to an i7 920 or 860 would be the only really full upgrade right now. I am wrong?

My e8400 is at 3.9ghz. It does everything I need, but sometimes I think a quad would help. I'm pretty in the same boat as you. I really want to skip i7, which is why I want a quad.
 
My e8400 is at 3.9ghz. It does everything I need, but sometimes I think a quad would help. I'm pretty in the same boat as you. I really want to skip i7, which is why I want a quad.

Please tell me the things you think it would help you with?
What speed and temps do you think a Q9550 would run at o/c?
Are there particular batches, or any E0?

Also, why do you want to skip i7?
Just for the extra cost of components or other reasons?
 
Please tell me the things you think it would help you with?
What speed and temps do you think a Q9550 would run at o/c?
Are there particular batches, or any E0?

Also, why do you want to skip i7?
Just for the extra cost of components or other reasons?

No idea what the quad would run at. Don't know what batches to look for and which ones to stay away from. I don't necessarily need a quad now, but I plan to stay s775 for a good year or two more so it'd be nice to have one. I know there aren't many games, but like GTA and NBA2k10 love CPU more than GPU, so I'm sure future games will benefit from it too.

I got my e8400 for free and with the $169 price someone mentioned the Q9550 is at MC is a steal for me if I can even get $100 for my e8400, lol. That's pretty much what I'm waiting for is an awesome deal and I'm going quad.

Main reason for not going i5/i7 is the cost. I'd probably get $120 for my e8400, $45 for RAM, and $80 for mobo. That's $245. i7 CPU $289, ddr3 memory is $120, i7 mobo is another $200. That's going midrange i7 stuff and that's around $600. I'd have to spend $250+- and frankly it's not worth it for me right now. Whatever is after i7 I won't mind spending some $$$$ cause then I know it'll be a huge upgrade for me and worth every bit of my money spent.
 
Last edited:
Same here, have a high clocked e8400 and it doesn't break a sweat until I edit HD. Quad would definitely help with encoding,but I don't do a lot of it, mostly games. I think a ssd would be a nicer addition to a high clocked 8400.
 
get a Q9550 from MC or a used Q6600/E8400. I have a microcenter near me and when I go I usually post and add in the market place section (new to this site never done it here/on evga.com dont it plenty of times) to pick up anything people want. I usually charge 10 bucks and you pay shipping and of course the product. like we all know they have sick prices on i7's and i5's. Next time I go to MC I will put an add up. I have done this for several people everyone is happy. ie if i were to pick up a Q9550 $184.86 plus 10 plus 5.95 shipping total of 200.81 for it all. i7 920's are about $235 and i5 750 is 163.11 pluse 10 plus 5.95 shipping 179.06. NEXT TIME I GO I WILL POST IT under the sales
 
Back
Top