Recommend me a notebook hard drive?

TS28

Limp Gawd
Greetings! I recently pulled the trigger on one of the new Lenovo T400s :D

Though it may not be here yet, I am already trying to plan out how well the 5400RPM hard drive it came with will fare. Originally, I did not want to get a 7200RPM drive due to heat, noise, and power usage.

Are any of these things still an issue with modern notebook drives? I remember in the past this being a slight issue. If it is not an issue, could someone recommend me a specific drive? I do not need a ton of space, or at least for now :)

Thanks!

If space isn't important, why didn't you get an SSD? Anyhow, a 7,200 RPM drive will be quite a bit hotter and have a noticeable effect on the battery life. However, I can tell you that still don't trust Toshiba drives. I haven't had the best of luck with those. I have been very happy with the two Seagate 2.5" drives I have.

i hate to sound like a Seagate fanboy, but I'm not. If they made crap hard drives I would someone else, but the fact is that they don't.

I bought a 200GB 7200 Seagate for my HP.
I use my laptop as a download and all around machine. Gotten to used to it, really.
I haven't turned it off for 13months! And it's always reading/writing something.

Heat is a BIT higher in hdd area, but not very much.
Noise is not different. Case is pretty fat. Only when you press your ear near the case you can hear it's a higher pitch.

The speed difference was very tangible in everyday tasks like filecopy.
I think it was about 25-40% percent faster in performing that tasks.
I'll try and find my measurements from back than and post them...
:)
Best upgrade evAr!
Next lappy is getting SSD for sure to go with its low-end 2core nehalem CPU!

No drive is perfect, just worked on a newer laptop with a dead seagate drive in it for a friend. However in general they do make a good product.

I just upgraded from a 120GB WD Scorpio 5400rpm to the new Scorpio Black 160GB 7200rpm and it was a huge difference in performance. I cant even hear it and actually runs a good 7-8C cooler and uses about the same amount of juice. Worth every penny

Originally, I did not want to get a 7200RPM drive due to heat, noise, and power usage.

Pretty much an old wives' tale.

There's not enough difference in those factors to be detrimental.

The speed difference however, is very noticeable.

SSDs are still waaaay too expensive. I have had good luck with the Seagate Momentus drives. I have a pair of the 7200 rpm drives in my laptop in RAID 0 and I have no complaints about the noise. Adding the second one did add a little heat, but just having 1 wasn't noticeably hot. I also get the same battery life with 2 as I did with one, so there doesn't seem to be any good reason not to go 7200. Here is a link to some. The 320 GB looks nice, is it wasn't sold out.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=50001305%2040000380&Manufactory=1305&SubCategory=380&SpeTabStoreType=0

Back