Recommend me a new psu

So my Antec Neopower 480 took a dump today and created a very unpleasant odor that stunk up my living room. I'm looking for a new psu and the only electronic stores nearby are Best Buy and Circuit City. I would turn to trusty ol' newegg but I want one asap thus why I'm turning to b&m. I'm not looking for anything too fancy just something to get me going again without any problems. Here are my system specs as follows:

C2D E6600 stock
MSI P965 Neo-F
2gb Ballistix @ DDR2 800
500gb sata WD hd
300gb sata Maxtor hd
200gb sata Samsung hd
XFX 7600gt xxx edition
Creative X-Fi XtremeMusic
Linksys WMP54g wifi card
VIA firewire/usb pci adapter card
Lite-On sata cd-rw / dvd-rom drive
NEC nd-3540a dual layer dvd burner

Again I'd like something from either Best Buy or Circuit City and something that won't break the bank too much, $120 tops.

The problem is that the selection of PSUs at Best Buy and Circuit City is very weak and overpriced IMO. However the Antec Earthwatts 500W PSU is probably your choice for PSU within your budget at both B&Ms. The Antec Earthwatts 500W PSU is around $98 at both places. There are better PSUs out there for the price but those PSUs are online and you're a bit too impatient for that.

Is that dead Antec PSU of yours still under warranty? If so, I recommend doing an RMA for it ASAP.

Thanks for the recommendations guys. I am very impatient yes but I want to replace the psu and see if any other components were damaged and I can always return it later. I just need my pc running for this week so I really want it up as soon as possible. I'm not sure about the warranty status I got it back in mid-2005 I'll have to check up on that. I wasn't sure how much power I needed so I came here I was guessing around 440w+ but was really looking at 500 for a good cushion. Anyways yea, I'll probably pick up an Antec today and return it by the end of the week and order one from newegg.

Guys I need help =( I ended up getting this psu from circuit city:

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Ante...sem/rpsm/oid/177492/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

It seemed good and only $5 more than newegg was selling it so I picked it up. Just got around to taking out the old psu and swapping it with this one today. When I was all set and done I flipped the switch on the back of the psu to the O and pressed the power button on my case but nothing would start up. I fooled around with it for a bit more taking things out and replugging them in and retrying but nothing would power on.

I have a feeling I'm missing something but I'm not sure what. All I'd need for it to power on would be the atx 24pin connector and the 12v 4pin connector correct? Just those two connected to the mobo would power it on regardless of peripherals. Well those were the two connectors I kept taking out and plugging back in but to no avail.

The new psu could also be a dud or the mobo could be fried as well. It is a crappy mobo and I picked it up during the early stages of the Core 2 Duo launch back in mid-2006. Where would you guys go from here? I'm so pissed and frustrated I might even consider taking it to a repair shop but that would be my last option as I want to get this to work and learn from the experience.

Please help me!!!

If I was in your situation, I would buy another PSU, a different model, and use it to test whether or not the Earthwatts PSU was a Dud or your mobo is gone. Return the other PSU when you're done. If the PC doesn't boot up with either PSU, then the mobo is gone as well.

Also make sure that that your power button also works. Start the PC by connecting/jumping the two power pins with a screw-driver.

Do you know if the mobo is getting power? Are there any LED's on the motherboard that light up when your mobo receives power?

I don't know of any leds present on the mobo. I was just hoping that it would start up and the cpu fan would spin or something would just jump to life. I'm fairly certain that the power button works as I double checked the connection for that and the reset button as well. I'll take your advise Danny and go get another psu to test and I'll apply the jumper method then. So my noobish question still remains. I wouldn't have to take out the old psu to test if the new psu is working correctly, I'd just have to connect t he psu to an outlet and connect the atx and 12v connectors to the mobo and that should be sufficient to verify if it works correct?

So my noobish question still remains. I wouldn't have to take out the old psu to test if the new psu is working correctly, I'd just have to connect t he psu to an outlet and connect the atx and 12v connectors to the mobo and that should be sufficient to verify if it works correct?

I would hook up a fan or two just to make sure everything is getting power. But should be enough.

When I was all set and done I flipped the switch on the back of the psu to the O and pressed the power button on my case but nothing would start up. I fooled around with it for a bit more taking things out and replugging them in and retrying but nothing would power on.

The "I" should be depressed, and the "O" should be sticking out. Its hard to understand what you mean exactly. Double check that, maybe? I could be off-base here, but I just thought I'd make sure. Simplest explanation and all that jazz.

It's a lost cause. I switched out the psu again and still no power. I'll just have to order a new mobo and psu online and hope for the best.

Back