• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Recommend me a good PSU

Joined
Apr 1, 2008
Messages
2,784
Ok, my piece of shit AeroCool 1000 watt PSU is now emitting an annoying coil whine and its really annoying, and I need a new one. This is the second time I've changed power supplies, first it was an Antec one, which I replaced because of the coil whine and now this one.

I'm looking at the Corsair HX-1000, is that any good?
 
Defiantly not a far of AeroCool, also not a fan of Antec power supplies. Go with the Corsair AX or HX series and call it a day. EASY DECISION if they are in your budget range. AX is the latest/premium/flagship series for Corsair BTW.

Seasonic may make the Corsair PSU. But Corsair designs them to a superior spec IMO.
 
Is it the Aerocool V12XT 1000W? From what I see that is a piece of junk HEC design anyway. Yes the HX-1000 is good, if a bit dated.

The system in your sig with the 1000W PSU, could easily run off of a 650W PSU though, if you are only using a single GTX 580

Seasonic may make the Corsair PSU. But Corsair designs them to a superior spec IMO.

Seasonic doesn't make the HX-1000 (Channel Well Technology does) or the AX1000 (Flextronics does).
 
Seasonic doesn't make the HX-1000 (Channel Well Technology does) or the AX1000 (Flextronics does).

I believe you mean AX1200. There is no 1000W AX model.

OP: Sounds like an 850W AX or HX would be plenty for you unless you have plans of adding more 580's.
 
Is it the Aerocool V12XT 1000W? From what I see that is a piece of junk HEC design anyway. Yes the HX-1000 is good, if a bit dated.

The system in your sig with the 1000W PSU, could easily run off of a 650W PSU though, if you are only using a single GTX 580

I plan to add another GTX 580 in the future, so yes I need the extra power. And yes, my AeroCool PSU is indeed the V12XT, it was good at first now its just giving me a coil whine and its annoying, why do power supplies do that?
 
It has something to do with fucking magnets and how they work.

The HX1000 is a good PSU, but it's a bit outdated by now. I suggest you take a look at the Sparkle Gold 1000W, Kingwin Lazer Gold 1000W, NZXT HALE90 1000W, and Antec HCP-1000 if you want something very good.
 
Is the Zalman ZM1000-HP any good or is that outdated as well?

Thanks for the replies guys, and yeah, I do need a reliable and one that isn't outdated.
 
Is the Zalman ZM1000-HP any good or is that outdated as well?

Thanks for the replies guys, and yeah, I do need a reliable and one that isn't outdated.
 
I vote for the Corsair TX750 if you don't need modular. 1000W or more is simply overkill for your rig. Take the saved money and put it towards an SSD :D

EDIT: Spelling
 
I vote for the Corsair TX750 if you don't need modular. 1000W or more is simply overkill for your rig. Take the saved money and put it towards an SSD :D

EDIT: Spelling

He is adding another 580 so I'd say 850W would be a better idea.
 
Good catch, I didn't see he replied with that in mind. My mistake, yes, I would go around 850W.
 
Is the Zalman ZM1000-HP any good or is that outdated as well?
It's an older design, but there's also the newer ZM1000-HP Plus, which would be a better choice. Other good options would be the Silverstone Strider Plus or Strider Gold 1000W.
Thermaltake Toughpower 1200W - there is a review of it on [H].
That PSU isn't even available any more, and it's a pretty old model.
 
nzxt 1kw is the best value 1kw, i suspect the silverstone 1kw gold might be the current best 1kw and seasonic are buzzing on the x-1kw which should be the best ever 1kw. fyi the nzxt should easily beat the hx1000
 
I didn't see it last time I checked. I must have missed it. In any case, it's an old model, it's not that great, and it's quite overpriced. There is absolutely no reason to buy it right now.
 
Yeah, seriously overpriced CWT PUC model. Would be feasible three years ago, but now... Don't waste your money. Even the Corsair AX1200 has it beat hands down by a long shot.
 
Back
Top