Recommend a power supply

unhappy_mage

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - October 2005
My power supply just died, and I need a replacement. I'm also planning to upgrade hardware within the next month, and planning to end up with a quad-core box, a Raptor, a couple gigs of ram, and eventually a 3870 x2 or whatever's good at the time I buy. Is the Corsair 750TX a good choice? Is it overkill? Any better alternatives in the $100 range?

Use a corsair, probably the 550vx. In my experiences I always overshoot on the PSU, that's money that could have been better allocated to performance instead of some itch to have massive voltage capabilities.

Microcenter has the 750TX for $145 with a $45 MIR. I think I might go with that.

Just for variety's sake, you should also consider PC Power and Cooling's 750W Silencer, Antec's 850W Quattro (I'm a sucker for racing stripes so I had to throw it in), Thermaltakes 750W Tough Power, and Silverstone's 750W Strider (or the 750W Zeus, its a little cleaner but lacks a couple features). All of the above are quality PSUs and If I was in the market for that much power I'd buy whichever I could find cheapest (so long as there isnt any one feature such as cable sleeving, cable length or modularity thats a must).

I would recommend any of the corsairs. I have the TX650 and love it...even got it for $87 shipped

Just for variety's sake, you should also consider PC Power and Cooling's 750W Silencer, Antec's 850W Quattro (I'm a sucker for racing stripes so I had to throw it in), Thermaltakes 750W Tough Power, and Silverstone's 750W Strider (or the 750W Zeus, its a little cleaner but lacks a couple features). All of the above are quality PSUs and If I was in the market for that much power I'd buy whichever I could find cheapest (so long as there isnt any one feature such as cable sleeving, cable length or modularity thats a must).

Well, the thing is, I don't think I really need that much power. I'm just considering the 750TX because it's cheap, and if I happen to need that much power later, it'll be available. I could get a 520HX cheaper than that ($89 after MIR), but that's 230 watts less and only $10 difference. I know it's modular, but I don't mind having extra connectors and I do mind not having enough power ;)

Back