Recommend a Password keeper application?

fitzgerald

n00b
OK first off I know writing down passwords or storing them in a central location is not always the best option. For the most part I have no issues remembering passwords.

I seem to have problems with the stupid security questions they make you setup. I don't like security questions, to me they are always things that people might ask you in a conversation, What was your pets name, where did you grow up, etc.

So I always make up stupid answers to these things. Then 6 months late when I re-install the OS and connect to a site where I know my dam username and password. It doesn't recognize my PC and prompts me for these security questions and I never remember what smart a$$ answer I made at the time.

Basically some sort of password keeper application would be nice for a limited number of items. But I have no idea what programs are good or if there even are any.

Anyone have any suggestions or other methods to keep track of secure information?

Actually now that I think about it. I had taken a ethical hacking class a while ago, to learn what to protect your network and computers from. And I vaguely remember an application that would combine an image (jpg or whatever) with a text document. So to everyone it just looked like an image and only if you opened the image with the correct merge application and knew the correct password would you be able to see the text. I think they also had some semblance of this in a Morgan Freeman movie.

Anyway leave it to the hackers to make a secure application for storing private information. Does this ring a bell with anyone?

I should actually have the disks somewhere but think they are boxed away. Again if anyone knows I would appreciate it.

I used two different portable password mangers but finally ditched them, one was keepass the other I forget ATM. They can definitely be useful, especially in situations where a keylogger may be employed.

Adding one quick thought though, whenever you are prompted to answer a security question, it is best to not truthfully answer it but instead to use the same bogus answer for any and every question no matter what it is answering.

Adding one quick thought though, whenever you are prompted to answer a security question, it is best to not truthfully answer it but instead to use the same bogus answer for any and every question no matter what it is answering.

Hey vsboxerboy,

thanks for the quick response. And I had originally done what you just suggested. I made 3 bogus answers to 3 questions. Problem was when they prompted me, they didn't use the same order so I had no idea what bogus answer was needed.

So they next time I made convoluted answers that only made sense to me, problem is you never use them for 6 months you forget them. I am sure if I have enough guesses I would get them, but after 3 they lock it.

Whats the difference between the regular keepass and professional?

Not finding a difference easily on the site. Is one free and the other not?

I use my Ironkey to store mine - no software needed. But the next best alternative is GPG. Symetric encryption is good enough, just need one password. Be careful where you store the password file while it's unencrypted so it is not recovered by the typical file recovery methods. Or you could store it on a Truecrypt volume.

http://www.gnupg.org/
http://www.gpg4win.org/ - Software for windows
http://www.truecrypt.org/

These methods capabilities extend beyond just password safes - to me making them much more useful.

I've used secret squirrel and it wasn't bad, it pretty much did what I wanted it to do. Since I don't always have access to my computer I have been using SplashID, which works on my blackberry, as well. Secret Squirrel is free, though, which is always nice.

There's only one to use. KeePass.

You can run it on your PC, your Windows Mobile Phone, and your Smartphone, all off the same data file between all versions. Very handy and safe.

Back