Recommend a Mini ITX Config

grandmaster

Limp Gawd
Hi,

I'm looking to build a tight, compact mini ITX system with the following requirements:

* As small as possible
* Cheap but durable, it'll be ported about a fair bit
* Core i3 or i5 processor
* RAM not especially important - 2GB min
* Room for low profile expansion card (not a GPU)
* Display running from integrated GPU
* Room for 2.5" SSD - preferably two, but one would do at a push
* External power brick preferred
* Parts available in the UK

And a far-out requirement, but are there any small cases (Shuttle sized at max) that have an integrated touchscreen? Minimum 480p res. I miss the Shuttle D10 - it was poorly specced but it worked out just fine for me.

I'm no expert on mITX builds... but in general for a build, you should include whether you have a set budget or not :)

Well, I get the idea that the requirements are going to define the budget as there are only a limited number of components that will do this specific job?

I was leaning towards the processor and motherboard, as it could be an i3 for $100 , or an i5 for $200. A budget motherboard for $70 or a full featured board for $150+.

Let's go for the i3 and the budget mobo - as long as it can handle a non-GPU expansion card in the PCIe slot.

Help us out here....

What are you going to use this system for?

Which online retailers are you buying parts from?

Where will this system stay most of the time?

What's the most you're willing to spend on this system (including VAT, shipping, and other charges)?

Do you need to buy any peripherals in addition to the system itself?

It's a general purpose PC with a video capture card. I can buy parts from anywhere in the UK, but the usual "best places" are Amazon.co.uk, Ebuyer.com and Scan.com. It was mostly be used in an office environment.

No additional peripherals needed over keyboard and mouse but USB 3.0 ports might be useful.

Costs would be entirely dependent on getting the unit to perform to spec based on my previous posts.

£92 - Intel Core i3-2120
£63 - Asus P8H61-I Intel H61 mITX Motherboard
£17 - Corsair CMV4GX3M1A1333C9 4GB DDR3 1333 RAM
£66 - Antec ISK 310-150 mITX Case + 150W PSU
----
Total: £238

If the video capture card isn't half-height or external it won't work with that case.

If you really want to go the external power brick route, Morex has some cases that would fit the bill:
  • T3460
  • 2757 (or really any case in the 27xx series)
There's also the Silverstone LC19 or ML02. These cases generally employ a riser card and you may need to be able to attach a full-profile bracket to your video capture card. However, if you want portability, I'd think that a power brick would be more hassle. Also, cases without internal power supplies tend to be geared toward lower power setups than you have in mind; and thus they can have airflow issues when presented with even moderately warm components. I think you can expect to be limited to a 35W i3 CPU with most of these cases; and even then, some of them may require that you upgrade their power supplies. (That is, 60W is probably not enough juice for you.)

The Antec ISK 3xx cases others have mentioned are probably a more cost-effective and simpler solution. On the other hand, I do see complaints that their fans can be loud.

I strongly suspect you're going to have to customize a case yourself if you want to add a touch-screen. The trick there is to find a case that's small enough to be acceptable to you and still gives you enough space to install the display. The Antec cases probably won't work for that; but the Morex 2757 just might.

Back