• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Recommend a cooler for E6600?

TheSpoon

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jun 6, 2004
Messages
431
I've decided to start overclocking my ye olde E6600. I've got it at 3GHz (default 2.4GHz) with the stock cooler but it gets a bit warmer than I'd like. Can someone recommend a decent HSF that's better than the stock but no louder? I'd like to keep it under $40.

Thanks.
 
I had an e6600 with a zalman 7700 at 3.2ghz, so go the next step up and most common of the brand and go zalman 9700 so you can upgrade to the i7 if you so wish to do
 
I had an e6600 with a zalman 7700 at 3.2ghz, so go the next step up and most common of the brand and go zalman 9700 so you can upgrade to the i7 if you so wish to do

Zalman coolers have been behind the times for a wile now, they are also very high priced for the performance you get, and the 9700 is also over his $40 budget. I would suggest the S1283. Though the CM hyper 212 plus might also be a good choice, it's a few bucks more than the S1283 is but without having to mess with a rebate, so the S1283 cost more up front but cheaper after MIR. However, unlike the S1283, I have no first hand with the CM, but every review I have seen of it shows it to perform quite well.
 
(TRUE) the only cooler you will need for a while.

or this newcomer knockoff: Cogage True Cooler
 
The S1283 is a nice cooler, I use it with the bolt kit.
With 80* ambient, My Q6600 runs 55C at 80%load (Folding)
 
(TRUE) the only cooler you will need for a while.

or this newcomer knockoff: Cogage True Cooler

the TRUE is also out of his budget at 47 bucks, plus whatever you end up paying for a fan, and the Cogage is a 1366 socket only cooler.
 
I got a Xigmatek Dark Knight 1283 and its great. It came with all the proper mounting brackets and cools exceptionally well. That's probably your most bang for your buck option in the upper tier of air cooling.
 
Thanks for all your suggestions.

The TRUE does seem a bit expensive considering the fan is extra. I was leaning towards the 212+ but some reviews mention that it gets quite noisy when the RPMs turn up. What do you guys think of the OCZ Vendetta 2? It's supposedly quieter, and some reviews indicate that it performs at least as well as S1283 and 212+ (here, here, here, here), though others place it a notch below the 212+ and S1283 (here, here). I can get the 212+ and the OCZ V2 locally for a similar price, but the S1283 I would probably have to ship in, or at least look around some more.
 
scythe mugen 2 without a doubt the best cooler for under $40, I am surprised not many people here recommend this cooler. It cools just as good as the TRUE ( around 2c higher ). The Vendetta 2 is a very good value for $30 - $10 rebates from microcenter.
 
Thanks for all your suggestions.

The TRUE does seem a bit expensive considering the fan is extra. I was leaning towards the 212+ but some reviews mention that it gets quite noisy when the RPMs turn up. What do you guys think of the OCZ Vendetta 2? It's supposedly quieter, and some reviews indicate that it performs at least as well as S1283 and 212+ (here, here, here, here), though others place it a notch below the 212+ and S1283 (here, here). I can get the 212+ and the OCZ V2 locally for a similar price, but the S1283 I would probably have to ship in, or at least look around some more.

I have 2 ocz vendetta 2's and one Xigmatek 1283 and they're pretty much identical. They're both extremely quiet and cool about the same. You cant go wrong with either one.
 
Back
Top