recommend a cheap used phone?

Discussion in 'Smart Phones and Devices' started by mnewxcv, Oct 9, 2018.

1. mnewxcv

mnewxcv [H]ardness Supreme

I am looking for a friend, not for myself, who recently cracked the screen on their phone and would like to upgrade. Something ~2-3 years old is fine. Must have:

5.5" or bigger screen (bigger is better)
    great battery life at idle (must last all day doing nothing)
    available for verizon network (will buy from anyone but must use verizon service)
    android

thanks in advance.

2. singe_101

singe_101 [H]ard|Gawd

Moto Z Play, 5.5" screen and the battery is 3510mAh. Snapdragon 625

3. mnewxcv

thanks for the recommendation. He is coming from a Moto Droid Turbo, so that seems like a logical step. Any other suggestions? Perhaps something 6" or larger?

4. Anh N.

Anh N. Gawd

a used LG V20, love that removable battery, think can be found for around ~$150

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018
  5. N4CR

N4CR 2[H]4U

V10 or V20. [H] as fuck phones.

6. CHANG3D

CHANG3D [H]ardness Supreme

Essential Phone

7. kirbyrj

kirbyrj Why oh why didn't I take the BLUE pill?

Budget? How cheap is cheap?

8. mnewxcv

$150 would be the max, closer to $100 preferred. V20 looks pretty good so far.

9. Tiberian

Tiberian DILLIGAFuck

woot! still has refurbished V20's for $139.99-149.99:

https://electronics.woot.com/offers/lg-v20-64gb-vzn-gsmsd

If the friend came from a Motorola Droid Turbo that could mean Verizon access and compatibility is necessary so they have the VS995 (the Verizon V20), if Verizon access and compatibility is not necessary then the T-Mobile model (H918) is recommended. They just pushed out the Oreo update for the H918 a few weeks ago, that's the V20 I have, the H918, and it allows for bootloader unlocking/custom ROMs/root/etc if that's of any interest but it of course isn't a requirement.

The Verizon model is supposed to be factory unlocked for GSM operation so I have no idea why they list two different items there, it's the same phone really, the VS995, so that one could be used with AT&T, T-Mobile, and any other carriers that use those two networks. Of course, there's no Sprint compatibility at all with the available devices, if that matters.

10. T4rd

T4rd [H]ardForum Junkie

Another vote for Z Play. My wife just switched from hers to a Note 9 and even that doesn't touch the Z Play's battery life, because nothing does (even any iPhone). It's a great phone still even if it's near EOL. I gave it to my son, who replaced his Galaxy S7 with it and he was much happier with it until he somehow managed to crack the display without even cracking the glass on top of it within a week of having it :mad:.

11. Supersnake

Supersnake Gawd

The Moto Z Play is for AT&T, T-Mobile, and compatible GSM networks. For Verizon you will have to locate a Moto Z Play Droid.

Had chat with Verizon:
    Q: Are you still selling the Moto Z Play Droid?
    A: We are no longer selling the Moto Z Play Droid.
    The current Motorola phones we have at the moment with a postpaid plan are the Moto Z3 and the Moto G6.
    If you are wanting a prepaid plan with a prepaid phone, the prepaid Moto phones we have are the Moto e5 and the Moto G6.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2018
  12. singe_101

singe_101 [H]ard|Gawd

With three years old in the post I assumed it didn't have to be new

Swappa has several Moto Z Play Droid Edition Verizon phones for sale.

mnewxcv likes this.