Recomend me a HDD please

Crosshairs

Administrator
Staff member
So I moved my Plex server into the Dell T20 I got on special last month and I'm outgrowing my 2Tb drives.
I can only fit 4 drives total in this box, but I really do not need a huge amount of storage..I'm running the OS off a 250Gb SSD so I would like to get a few 4 or 5 Tb drives to fill up the rest of the spots .

So, whats a good drive for a Plex server that really only serves up 1 TV in my house.... cost is not an issue, but I dont want to buy expensive drives that I really dont need.

Thanks for any and all help...

my hgst drive is going strong to im running mutiple drives for my plex box keep out growing them lol.

WD, HGST or Toshiba have great price/capacity and seem quite reliable.
Running special "NAS" drives is up to you, I run desktop drives in my server, but I can see why people pay more for the guaranteed performance.
I will not use/buy Seagate drives after all 5(!!!!!!!!!!!) of my 3TB Barracudas died on me in succession.
My server currently has:
Toshiba X300
WD Blue
WD Black

I've got WD 4TB Greens and a 4TB Red in my my Plex server.

I got a couple of the new Seagate Ironwolf drives for mine. They have some enterprise features that are lacking in the aging WD Reds.

All of my WD 4TB Reds have run flawlessly the past 3 years. I'll be buying several more this year.

I only buy/recommend HGST NAS now after suffering drive deaths.
My 4TB has been running 24/7 for 1.5 years so far, no issues.

I've been running a mix of old Samsung F4 2TB drives, Seagate NAS, and WD Red. I haven't had issues with any of them in my Plex server.

Back