• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Reciever/amplifier suggestions

re: subwoofers. i'm a complete and total b&w ho, but their subs (especially the entry level ones) are inferior to the competition...

tower: you wanna really pee in your knickers? go someplace where you can listen to a pair of the new 802D's... :D
 
ccotenj said:
tower: you wanna really pee in your knickers? go someplace where you can listen to a pair of the new 802D's... :D
Oh yea, they had those 800 series in "another room", haha. Last time I went, another person was actually looking at them, so I could'nt listen to them just for fun. 20,000$ a pair, yikes.

It blows my mind to think you can get better then their 604 floorstanding ones.

^_^
 
ah, the 802's are a mere 12 grand a pair... :rolleyes:

not only are they better than the 604's, they are significantly better... those diamond tweeters are to die for...
 
Do you guys think that Axioms are comparable to B&Ws or the B&Ws are more on the higher end side?? Will be buying a HK 335 or the 6 soon and been browsing bookshelf speakers and surround.. Been set to buy Axiom but then I see B&Ws... its really a good thing to wait b4 buying...
Wow they sell it [H] per piece....
 
You might look for a pair of Monitor Audio Bronze B2. They will most likley sound better than the Polk. My dad owns a pair of the B2s, they sound better than the Phase Techs in his home theater, and I own a pair of Silver 5i and 9i. The little Monitors may surprise you. I think they B2s sound best on a high current amp like the one in the HK. Buy what sounds best to you.
 
Axiom makes a good loudspeaker, that's for sure. In terms of its price bracket, I don't think that you could go too wrong. Bowers and Wilkins certainly has lines that occupy MUCH higher price ranges, but that doesn't always translate well in the 'bang for your buck' category.
 
Didnt really have a good experience with my Axiom M22.... I felt that they were decent at their price point, but not anything out of the ordinary.

I would suggest looking at the BW 600 series or the AV123 line of speakers at your budget pricepoint.

Also, I know the Swan 2.1 (@ insideraudio.com) is in your pricerange, you should check that out.

Go to audiogon.com to look for used speakers.
 
Oh so you owned the M22s b4 ...That is the set of speakers that I am planning on buying... Still readin infos about the B&W like reviews and other things...Thx for those two replies. And towert where did you buy your B&Ws from?
 
DeViLdUdE said:
Oh so you owned the M22s b4 ...That is the set of speakers that I am planning on buying... Still readin infos about the B&W like reviews and other things...Thx for those two replies. And towert where did you buy your B&Ws from?
I purchased mine from a small professional audio company in MA called Spearitsound
www.spearitsound.com
They are located in Northampton, MA anad Boston, MA. they pretty much take the MSRP price and knock off 15%. SO my 601's were normally about 450$, which brought them down to 380$us.
 
As far as speaker recommendations I would have to pick one of these three for higher end audio:
B&W (already mentioned)
Axiom (also mentioned)
Paradigm (Very nice/clean Canadian loudspeaker company)

I think it's pretty hard to be disapointed with any of those three companies as far as what they make and quality of product.
 
you should be able to get 15% on the 600 series... if not, walk and find another dealer...

unknown posts a pretty good starting list... i'd listen to them for myself if i was you, because they all have different characteristics... there's many others, and as you visit various hifi shops you'll come across them...
 
ds- said:
The volume knob on my HK AVR-135 is isn't wobbly and if I turn the volume down really fast it doesn't increase the volume. Seems to work perfectly turning it up or down fast.

My HK AVR-135 has a button called "Tone Mode" and it changes from "Tone In" to "Tone out" and vice versa. Is this the samething we are talking about here? Should I have that set to "Tone Out"?

yes it is. i have the AVR130. Tone out is the same thing as 'tone defeat' :)
 
Just to add,

I have a HK7500 (dunno the american model equiv), it has 5x100Watt or 2x125Watt.

Quality is top notch and it has inputs to spare.

Mind you, this beast cost 1600 euros at the time (3 years ago) but it is still going strong (gotta love the 75A torrodial amp). Oh and it weighs about 30kilos.

HK all the way mate.
 
UnknownSouljer said:
As far as speaker recommendations I would have to pick one of these three for higher end audio:
B&W (already mentioned)
Axiom (also mentioned)
Paradigm (Very nice/clean Canadian loudspeaker company)

I think it's pretty hard to be disapointed with any of those three companies as far as what they make and quality of product.

I wouldnt say that Axiom is higher end audio - good speakers for the money, not higher end. I brought my M22s to the local shop and we powered it with a Rotel 1080 amp and A/B it against its canadian counterpart - the Paradigm Reference 20.

Ask anyone on the axiom board, what is the counterpart to the M22, and they will say (including Alan Lofft, the Axiom Resident Expert - I talked to him on the phone) that the M22 compares favorably against the Paradigm Ref 20.

What was the consensus when we had both setup?

Everyone in the store - whether it be a customer or the store owner (my friend, Tom) or my family (brother, dad) said that the Paradigm was faaaar superior. There really was no comparison in boxiness, treble ease, bass, overall neutrality.

Here's one caveat though, the Ref 20 cost more than the M22. I think they are about $700 (you can get 10% off MSRP at my local dealership) while the M22 are only $440. What I'm trying to tell you is that with the Axioms, you get what you pay for - no more, no less.

It is a good $400 speaker, but not a $700 speaker. My biggest beef with the Axiom people is that they pretend like their speakers are worth more than what you pay for. It's not true IMO.

Anyway, if you have a shot at auditioning the Paradigm Reference series, do it. You can find some used ones on audiogon for something close to your budget.
 
Pinipig523 said:
I wouldnt say that Axiom is higher end audio - good speakers for the money, not higher end. I brought my M22s to the local shop and we powered it with a Rotel 1080 amp and A/B it against its canadian counterpart - the Paradigm Reference 20.

Ask anyone on the axiom board, what is the counterpart to the M22, and they will say (including Alan Lofft, the Axiom Resident Expert - I talked to him on the phone) that the M22 compares favorably against the Paradigm Ref 20.

What was the consensus when we had both setup?

Everyone in the store - whether it be a customer or the store owner (my friend, Tom) or my family (brother, dad) said that the Paradigm was faaaar superior. There really was no comparison in boxiness, treble ease, bass, overall neutrality.

Here's one caveat though, the Ref 20 cost more than the M22. I think they are about $700 (you can get 10% off MSRP at my local dealership) while the M22 are only $440. What I'm trying to tell you is that with the Axioms, you get what you pay for - no more, no less.

It is a good $400 speaker, but not a $700 speaker. My biggest beef with the Axiom people is that they pretend like their speakers are worth more than what you pay for. It's not true IMO.

Anyway, if you have a shot at auditioning the Paradigm Reference series, do it. You can find some used ones on audiogon for something close to your budget.


Well I never said anything about it outperforming it's price point, but Axiom is far better than other manufacturers at the price points they offer.

Personally I think my list from lowest to highest as far as performance goes (easily) in the order like this: Axiom, Paradigm, B&W. Axiom tops out (as far as speaker expense) at 3k, it's hard to compare a 3k speaker vs any of the B&W speakers that are 16k and up namely the 800 series.

I listed the three because it covers a pretty wide range of price for performance, and if you have the money I think it's reasonable to say one should shoot for one of those three.
 
Just saw an ad on Frys and they are selling the HK DPR2005 for 499 after 1300+ instant gift rebate...I could jump on it but do you guys think theres a catch(big catch)?? It says nothin bout it bein a refurb... And will it be overkill to have that kind of receiver?? And the DPRs are bit better than the AVRs if you base it on technology it has right?? I'll be down there today to check it out..And yeh its Frys Sacramento if ne of the guys who dont have a rec are interested..
 
Back
Top