Recertified 960GB M500 from Crucual.com

I ordered mine on 8/18 and paid for 2-day delivery. It shipped on 8/19, and is out for delivery today.

FYI I had my crucial M500 960GB unit die on me this past week. It refused to be seen in the Bios. Past 4 months at least 5 times the pc wouldn't see the SSD drive. I'd have to pull the PSU power cord and hold the power button down on the chassis to drain all power. Then upon power up it would sometimes recognize in the bios. The drive was purchased new as of late 2013. I purchased a USB 3.0 to SSD adapter to plug in the drive to see if it would work this way and it didn't. The cable power light would actually turn off so I think either the controller went out or something was telling the drive to power down. The SSD originally had FW02 firmware which I upgraded to FW03 firmware 1 year ago or so. My replacement crucial SSD is on firmware 05 and it works great.

I called up crucial and they cross shipped a replacement M500 960gb SSD and I had it in 3 days. Customer service was excellent and that was the first crucial product I had that officially went out. I have a bunch of crucial SSD's and the rest of been great.

Got my 480GB today USPS comes in a small white box in a Jiffy TuffGard Cushoned Mailer.

FYI I had my crucial M500 960GB unit die on me this past week. It refused to be seen in the Bios. Past 4 months at least 5 times the pc wouldn't see the SSD drive. I'd have to pull the PSU power cord and hold the power button down on the chassis to drain all power. Then upon power up it would sometimes recognize in the bios. The drive was purchased new as of late 2013. I purchased a USB 3.0 to SSD adapter to plug in the drive to see if it would work this way and it didn't. The cable power light would actually turn off so I think either the controller went out or something was telling the drive to power down. The SSD originally had FW02 firmware which I upgraded to FW03 firmware 1 year ago or so. My replacement crucial SSD is on firmware 05 and it works great.

I called up crucial and they cross shipped a replacement M500 960gb SSD and I had it in 3 days. Customer service was excellent and that was the first crucial product I had that officially went out. I have a bunch of crucial SSD's and the rest of been great.

In my expierence any ssd that starts not being recognized in the bios is about to die. I had 3 that started doing the same (different brands though) and they all died. I have 5 other ssds that have never done that and are still going.

Holy sh!t, I just got my orders delivered. No shipping email, no cancellation, I thought it was gonna be a repeat of their last refurb deals. I love crucial drives but their online retail system is pretty wonkers.

But nope. Im surprised to say I am the proud owner of 2x 960gb and 2x 480gb m500 drives.

I guess I now have all weekend to figure out what Im going to do with them.

Holy sh!t, I just got my orders delivered. No shipping email, no cancellation, I thought it was gonna be a repeat of their last refurb deals. I love crucial drives but their online retail system is pretty wonkers.

But nope. Im surprised to say I am the proud owner of 2x 960gb and 2x 480gb m500 drives.

I guess I now have all weekend to figure out what Im going to do with them.

Congrats. Sounds like you're in for a fun weekend. :D

So i ordered on the 18th, checked on the 19th and it was cancelled :( (no emails or nothing lol)

BUT, i checked my credit card and its still a pending transaction for a 960gb and shipping .

Ah well if its there Monday, guess ill make a phone call

I got the 960 & the 480 I ordered in the mail yesterday. Great deal for the capacity

My 480 arrived today. Working fine so far.

It seems new, SSDLife shows it was powered on 12 times with 100% health.

Last edited:
My 480s came in yesterday and I'm running some tests on them....

I'm not getting good speeds at all...

Yes, they are in the Intel ports... and reading as SATA3... But, my speeds on one of them is 172MB/s...

Crucial.480.speed.png

And, I know my intel controller is installed right and working good, because my My other SSD raid0 gets expected speeds...
raid.speed.png

I don't get these things.... Not very happy with them for one...

Let me know what everyone else is getting for speeds.

Tell me what program to use and I'll get you all the info you want.

You can put that model number from the top and Google it and it gets you right back to the site we used to purchase them. And they of course advertise much much faster speeds...

Also... When I put them in RAID0, they averaged 550MB/s... Which is off... I'm very confused by these drives.

Tell me what program to use and I'll get you all the info you want.

You can put that model number from the top and Google it and it gets you right back to the site we used to purchase them. And they of course advertise much much faster speeds...

Also... When I put them in RAID0, they averaged 550MB/s... Which is off... I'm very confused by these drives.

Make sure you are using the latest.
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/55005/Intel-Rapid-Storage-Technology-Intel-RST-

Try CrystalDiskInfo to see the details about the drive:
http://crystalmark.info/download/index-e.html

You want to verify that TRIM is working on the drive by downloading this file then put that file on the crucial partition then run it
http://files.thecybershadow.net/trimcheck/

As for benchmark, AS SSD is pretty much the most comprehensive
http://www.alex-is.de/PHP/fusion/downloads.php?download_id=9

My 480s came in yesterday and I'm running some tests on them....

I'm not getting good speeds at all...

Yes, they are in the Intel ports... and reading as SATA3... But, my speeds on one of them is 172MB/s...

[noIMG]http://www.bbpix.com/files/15/Crucial.480.speed.png[/noIMG]

And, I know my intel controller is installed right and working good, because my My other SSD raid0 gets expected speeds...
[noIMG]http://www.bbpix.com/files/15/raid.speed.png[/noIMG]

I don't get these things.... Not very happy with them for one...

Let me know what everyone else is getting for speeds.

Wow!! Sort of depressing.
And testing in the same exact ports..replacing the existing RAID0 drives..gives
those numbers for the 480???

You have multiple and you are showing the slowest one or is that pretty much each Crucial 480GB drive you purchased?

I have a 960 on the way... if it's that slow, It's going back and i'll get a 2TB spinner.

EDIT ... I just thought... how does it "feel" in normal use...ignoring the numbers?

The Intel PCI SSD changed the face of SSD drives nothing can come close to it on a consumer level.
I just read about a 2TB SSD in Maximum PC but it's in a Sata connection drive.

this is after installing those drivers.... no difference really. here is some quick runs on both.

each.speed.after.driver.PNG

These are running as fast as the SSDs that came out 5 years ago... What the fuck?

These are running as fast as the SSDs that came out 5 years ago... What the fuck?
Those read/write speeds are at the top end of what sata 2 can do. Sure you're on full sata 3? I was getting similar speeds on my Samsung 850 Evo, until I replaced my sata cable. Small chance perhaps, but worth double checking.

Edit: nevermind my question on Sata 2 vs. 3. You've already answered that here.

this is after installing those drivers.... no difference really. here is some quick runs on both.

each.speed.after.driver.PNG

Try a different SATA cable.

OK I'll try that when I get home.

It's weird HDTune says SATA3.... Hmmm.

I'll get some new cables. Man do I want this to work right..

Same thing with me. I got the 960GB M500 and I'm getting similar speeds as Warrior running HD Tune Pro, ATTO, and AS SSD.

Mine just arrived CDI says 1 power on count and 0 hours run time.

Here's HD Tune

psTconN

Apparently I don't know the rules for posting pics here. :rolleyes:

Anyway, I'm getting 428.8 MBs as per HD Tune

http://imgur.com/psTconN

Last edited:
Same thing with me. I got the 960GB M500 and I'm getting similar speeds as Warrior running HD Tune Pro, ATTO, and AS SSD.

Something is wrong with either your SATA controller or drivers.

CrystalDiskInfo
Jf5JSla.png

Intel RST
lAAMicS.png

Trim Validation
834Klys.png

CrystalDiskMark
iAE5bdv.png

AIDA64
GP8yj8y.png

AS SSD
i73rk95.png

AS SSD IOPS
qUXNAO3.png

AS SSD Copy Bench
iVsKme4.png

AS SSD Compression Bench
OFCbsBr.png

HD Tune Bench
JA758xh.png

HD Tune File Bench
aXzanSe.png

HD Tune Extra tests
SHwdx25.png

Something is wrong with either your SATA controller or drivers.

Yeah, I have a hunch on what is causing it. I currently have it plugged in to the HAF X's midplane...I doubt the quality of said bridge. When I get the time, I will plug it in directly to a proper SATA controller (the Intel Z77 one) and re-test. I have a hunch the performance will be on par with the norm.

got my refurbed 480GB m500 in. Tested it against an 850 Evo and my current Sandisk Extreme 240GB.

There's a big difference between the Asmedia controller on the Asus Z87 Deluxe and the intel Sata 6Gb/s ports.
ssd_bench_z87_chipset.png

ssd_bench_Asmedia_brown_ports.png

*snip*

EDIT: I think I figured it out.... I figured out when HD Tune says SATA3 in the details, it means that's the drive, not the connection....

But, the main reason is that My board (EVGA Z77 FTW) has a confusing layout... And, I think I have 2 Sata3 Intel Ports and 4 Sata2 Intel ports, and 2 Sata3 Marvell ports (the old standard shitty layout...). But, my board layout has the ports all mixed up. Straight across they're 2 sets of 2 Sata ports in black (ports 4/5, and 2/3), and 2 sets of 2 Sata ports in Red (ports 0/1, and 6/7. Yes, you read that right. From left to right, it goes Ports 4/5,2/3,0/1,6/7.). I had my OS raid drives in port 0/1 (Red) and my other raptor Raid0 game drives in port 2/3 (black). And, thinking back when I got this board I didn't think about the storage options too much... And when I installed the Crucial's

So, apparently I only have 2 true Sata3. I feel like a ditz....

Last edited:
Wow!! Sort of depressing.
And testing in the same exact ports..replacing the existing RAID0 drives..gives
those numbers for the 480???

You have multiple and you are showing the slowest one or is that pretty much each Crucial 480GB drive you purchased?

I have a 960 on the way... if it's that slow, It's going back and i'll get a 2TB spinner.

EDIT ... I just thought... how does it "feel" in normal use...ignoring the numbers?

<snipped for brevity>
So, apparently I only have 2 true Sata3. I feel like a ditz....

And that's why you test apples to apples.
I've felt like a ditz before too :D

Glad you figured it out and posted updated info.

lol I didn't want to move the other Raid0 ports, it was my OS drives. We all know how catastrophic that could be...

So, that was the nail on the head, to push to upgrade my Z77 setup...

Crucial's automated email system sucks donkey balls. I received a second order confirmation email 4 days after I ordered, and just now I got a SECOND "Your order has shipped!" email with the same tracking info, same order info.

My drive was delivered yesterday.

Just some email server burp not getting charged again or anything bad.
Mine should be here Monday pretty curious to see how it speeds up my system.
Got a 460gb for my OS and a 960gb for games got two 6gb sata ports so should work well.

Just heard back from Crucial -

"Thank you for contacting Crucial. Your order is not duplicated, our system is acting up and sent this email. Thank you for letting us know."

Guess I won't be getting a second one. :D

Back