Received 2407WFP for 2405FPW under warranty

FusionXP

Limp Gawd
My 2405FPW REV A01 needed to be replaced under warranty. It still works but has issues. Dell shipped me a refurbished 2407WFP REV A04. But the sticker where the serial number is has another sticker with the REV A04 printed on top of it (see pic). Why it that? I seems like this wasn't a REV A04 originally and Dell flashed it or something. I might peel it back and see what it was before. In the service menu the firmware is listed as V1B29 and HN208L6. Also I don't know why but the driver CD has 2407WFP-HC printed on it. On the box it only say 2407WFP. How can I tell the difference on the monitor itself?

So should I keep it or stick with my 2405FPW REV A01?

rev04jl4.jpg

Do a side by side comparison to see if you can notice any major differences. You aren't going to get a replacement 2405, they simply don't have them anymore. I really wouldn't put any stock in what is printed on the driver cd, but you can check what is reported on the OSD (menu button once).

If I enter the Display Settings>Display Monitor Information it says 2407WFP on the menu. So I guess it is a non-HC model.

You're lucky.

Most prefer the non-HC model to the HC model due to ghosting.

It was probably originally another revision that was refurbed and upgraded to A04.

Regards,

10e

What is the warranty on a replacement? Is it to the end of my original purchase or do they give you an amount of days/weeks?

Granted there are not any defects, there is nothing about the (non-HC) 2407wfp that would make you miss the 2405WFP. In fact it was (once they got rid of banding issues in rev a02+) regarded as a natural improvement without caveat over the 2405WFP, unlike some more recent dell monitors. I'm sure they give you a good 3 months atleast on replacement, but I'd check the dell website. With my RMAs they treated all mine as new, but then again I was literally shipping them back the second after I turned them on (masses of pixel defects) :(

What is the warranty on a replacement? Is it to the end of my original purchase or do they give you an amount of days/weeks?

I am pretty sure you only get the remainder of your orignal warranty period.

I have a non HC A03 and it is a damn good display. I would not trade it for one of the newer HCs or 08s.

Best of luck

Dave

I want to do some tests on the 2407. Where can I find some full screen gradient images. I looked all over but they are small.

Thanks. I also found a PassMark MonitorTest program. It's a 30 day evaluation but that ok.

Do you guys with the 2407 use the default color settings on the LCD or do you use your own custom? If custom what did you set the LCD at? I remember there was a thread on the 2405 that someone made and calibrated the LCD with some tool and posted the results. I wonder if someone could do that with the 2407.

I also noticed these marks on the sides of the inputs. What do you think was the purpose of that? Was there a problem on previous revisions of this model with the inputs? I don't think new units come with those marks. Hmm...

inputszz3.jpg

I think those marks are from the refurb process or a previous owner. Probubly the former. I use the stock settings; I tryed adjusting by eye and could not do any better. Calibration settings are only valid for the individual display. they vary from one to the next. You need a spyder2 calibrator to do it right. I think they sell for somewhere between $200 and $300. I would just use those test images to tweak it to your liking and leave it at that.

Best of luck

Dave

I just noticed another thing with my replacement. It seems that the HC models have a connecting line between the (-) and (+) buttons and the little icons. Mine has that line and icons but in the menu it does not say it is an HC model. I read this on the site listed below. How weird is that? For some odd reason this is a non-HC model in an HC case. Or does the menu lie?

http://forums.vr-zone.com/showthread.php?t=162570

Do a side by side comparison to see if you can notice any major differences. You aren't going to get a replacement 2405, they simply don't have them anymore. I really wouldn't put any stock in what is printed on the driver cd, but you can check what is reported on the OSD (menu button once).

False, I just received a 2405 replacement today directly from dell for my 2405 rev01 that I bought 3 years ago. The sticker on the refurb they sent says manufactured in 2005, but is rev a05.

Back