Reccomend me some racing games!

Nasty_Savage

Fully [H]
Just picked up one of these:

http://www.fanatec.com/

The GT3 RS Clubsport edition based on another member's reccomendation. It should be delivered tomorrow and I want to DL some Steam games for it. What are your suggestions? Anyone with this wheel anything to watch out for? (compatability, etc.)

My sig is old, I'm up to a Q9650 with 8 Gigs of Ram and a GTX 470 (step upgrade waiting for Ivy Bridge). Help appreciated! :cool:

Check into GTR2 by Simbin. I'm still playing it (w/ xbox 360 controller :() and with all the mods out there, it makes the game even better. If you're looking one off of steam, I would go with GTR Evolution.

looks cool, even for a three year old game...ill check it out since its kinda cheap...thanks!:)

GRID and Dirt 3 are my current favorites though I don't know how well they work with a wheel.

iracing.. graphics aren't dirt 3 quality or anything but if you want to play a true racing sim its the only one worth playing..

Flatout (physics make it hard though)
Flatout 2
Carmageddon 2

All arcade style race games, and VERY fun.

If you got the CSP's, then buy RACE07+GTR EVO from Steam....and put some time into it as it's a sim not forgettable arcade rubbish like GRID etc.
Iracing is an annoying and potentially costly turd IMO, but they do have a 3month offer for $12....bare in mind you will get some cars and tracks, but you'll have to pay for any decent ones.

GTR evo has some great cars and tracks+ a ton of free mods, most of them of a high standard.

Simbin is the GT5 of sim racing......and there's also other sims like Rfactor, LFS, netka pro etc.

You bought a great wheel, don't waste it on arcade shit that appeals to the mentally deranged.

GRID and Dirt 3 are my current favorites though I don't know how well they work with a wheel.

Arcade shit rarely works well with wheels, D3 might be an exception, but I wonder how bad the FFB is overall, ie, any feel in the pedals.

I've really dug Need for Speed SHIFT and SHIFT 2 Unleashed, and can only imagine the experience heightened with a wheel.

Rfactor and good mods is all you will need. The shift games have a ton of immersion but the physics feel sloppy.

I've really dug Need for Speed SHIFT and SHIFT 2 Unleashed, and can only imagine the experience heightened with a wheel.

As long as one doesn't pay too much, then both games are good with wheels, but there's probably no point in bothering with Shift1, just get Shift2 with more cars and tracks....but don't expect anything great expect GFX, both these games are loaded with problems.

To add to the rFactor suggestion, take a look at it's main support site @ rfactorcentral.com. You'll find just about any track you've ever heard of, full rosters of cars from old and current racing series, and a great online community. When rFactor 2 comes out, I'm sure things are going to get even better!

Need For Speed Undercover was my fav of the series so far, though I haven't played the newest Hot Pursuit.

GFX not as good as Shift but still good compared to their older stuff, gameplay was awesome in that they sent you on jobs and missions, lots of good cars as always. It also makes you work through the cars a little harder so by the time you reach the fastest cars you can drive them to their limits without probs and tear the place up. Loved it, think I might play it again soon actually.

Last edited:
I see i made a typo in the title, going from different sized keyboards all day working on computers throws my aim off a bit :p Anyway, I bought the Race07 and the DL content (including GT Evo) since they had a deal on it. I'll wait for Dirt3 to go on sale. The wheel and pedals came in on Monday but I haven't had a chance to set it up yet. Hurricane and SAN at work kept me busy last few days. The shifter is enroute, hope to get it before the weekend.

It seems like most of the suggestions are EA titles, they have a corner in this market too? Sheesh! Anyhow, I'll let you know how it goes ;) And I'll take some of the other suggestions into consideration just for giggles. Ultimately, I want to get into SIMs, but I have no problem checking out some arcadey type games too. As the name suggests, I'm a bit of a savage, so I don't totally want to get all barbarian and discouraged until I work out the finer details, otherwise I'll wind up going all psycho peddle to the metal and running people off the road :D

thank you for the suggestions so far, appreciate it...

Also, regarding RFactor. I was looking at it and it looks cool, but I am a bit confused. I see a client download, but is this just a mod center for a specific game, or is it a base game (that's included) with user content mods? :confused:

rFactor is totally worth trying if you've never played it.
It is a complete game all by itself, but the main appeal is FREE mods & tracks.

The interface is a little weird, but you get used to it pretty quick.
I've raced the go-kart mods for hours & hours & hours! Very fun!
Handling, grip and "feel" is better than most arcade style games IMO.
I got rFactor FREE with some video card or hard drive... but it's easily worth $20.

You can DL the rFactor demo all over the place:
http://www.biggamedownloads.com/free-racing-games/rfactor-download.htm
http://rfactor.net/web/rf1/buyonline/

You can also just buy it for $20 @ Amazon here:
http://www.amazon.com/rFactor-V-1-2..._1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1314828810&sr=1-1

Even if you only play a few hours, that's cheap entertainment!

There are so many free mods & tracks it was hard to keep up...
I joined rFactor Central @ $5/mo. just to get mods faster & manage what is installed.

Can't go wrong...
http://www.rfactorcentral.com/

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Both Dirt3 & GRID work fine with my G27.

iracing.. graphics aren't dirt 3 quality or anything but if you want to play a true racing sim its the only one worth playing..
True dat! This is a simulation... Definitely not a game!

U.M.

Dirt3 looks AMAZING!!!!!

IMG_6406.jpg

I just picked up a G27 and have been trying various games with it, and everything seems to work well. Shift 1 and 2 are fun... but they seem to ignore the clutch? Maybe I don't have it set up correctly. Test Drive Unlimited 2 is fun also, if you can get into it. The story (if you can call it that...) is really trying to pull me out of the game, but I still enjoy the racing. Dirt 2 is working well, so I imagine Dirt 3 does too. Haven't tried GRID or NFS:HP yet, but I own both.

I j Haven't tried GRID or NFS:HP yet, but I own both.

I couldn't get GRID to work with my DFGT on PC, and don't see the point of going back to GRID even if it somehow works with my new G27, as Shift1/2 are better.

Best motorcycle racing game out there is no doubtably Superbike 2011 for the pc but it's really too bad that they only released it in Europe.

F1 2010. Enjoyed that alot.

Racing games with three monitors are awesome. So much easier to see corners.

Well, I briefly set up Race 07 and was having issues with the wheel. Its not centering, its off. I apparently am not the only one who has this problem. I have to do a little more research on setting things up a bit. I also think I need to invest in the mounting plate since the built in clamps is not as secure as I would like...

Back