Reccomend me a fan

Thurlow

Weaksauce
My computer has been overheating recentley, due to heat being generated by my radeon 9800 pro. Does anyone have any reccomendations for a not TOO expensive fan to help fix this?

Well, let me tell you something.. and this is in my experience, but adding 1 fan will not do ANYTHING. Maybe take off a FEW degrees, but nothing noticable. I'd say just save up for water cooling. If you really want though, I'd look at the coolermaster fans, they're a pretty good deal.

Is sound an issue? I was thinking about buying a Case fan from a friend of mine, it was just too loud, Its a Vantec Tornado 80mm Case fan (They make a 92mm, it runs slower, but I heard its louder yet). I've just got 2 generic 80mm case fans, and that Tornado alone would easily do much more then both of mine.

Porphyria said:
Well, let me tell you something.. and this is in my experience, but adding 1 fan will not do ANYTHING. Maybe take off a FEW degrees, but nothing noticable.

in my system, if i turn on my 1 case fan (exhaust near cpu), it drops the cpu temp down around 6 degrees compared to no case fans. but in his case, 1 more fan probably wont do much.

80mm fans suck. 120mms flow a lot more and can be quiet or burly.

If adding a video card makes you overheat, you have a severe problem that should not need case fans to fix. Reseat your CPU HSF and use thermal grease this time.

Adding a card didn't make me overheat, the case ran a little hot with my ti4200 but it was stable. But now when I play graphically intensive games with my 9800 for extended periods of time it overheats.

My 9800XT heated up my system about 4-6 degreess but nothing to severe. I also think its because I do live in houston and my fuckin mom won't let us turn on the AC and I have my pc on all day. It sucks when you are trying to game at the same time trying not to get stuck to the POS 45$ office max executive leather chairs.

What size fans are you looking for? What case do you have? Are you looking to replace a fan or two or are you trying to add additional fans?

A good place for cheap fans is www.svc.com. They have a wide variety and some really cheap fans.

I would suggest using low RPM 120mm fans if you're concerned about noise.

Thurlow said:
My computer

so...do to the raised ambient temperature in the case your CPU temps are too high?

a common mod that is generally good for a 5C difference would be a short direct duct from the outside of the case to the CPU HSF

or you feel you need to increase the airflow through the case?

answering that is alot harder, because we know nothing regarding the airflow pattern in your case, there is a point of diminishing returns, but more often than not, its poor implemntation of an extra fan, failing to locate it in a position that will help not harm the airflow pattern

I personally like the chracteristics available with crossflow fans and blowers
axial fans arent the only game in town, and each have their own strengths

I would slap an Artic-Cooling VGA Silencer on your 9800 so then it will cool your card better then stock cooling and it will get rid of some excess heat by blowing it out the case...i know my case has been a lil cooler since then...

GnG said:
I would slap an Artic-Cooling VGA Silencer on your 9800 so then it will cool your card better then stock cooling and it will get rid of some excess heat by blowing it out the case...i know my case has been a lil cooler since then...

Definately give that a shot. You can get one for $10 at www.svc.com

The best way to cool your 9800 would be to follow the guide I posted here:
http://www.short-media.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5211

Of course, that's of little help if your case doesn't have decent airflow through it to begin with. Maybe I missed it, but I didn't see what kind of cooling you have now. How many intake and exhaust fans do you have, where are they located, and how much air can they push?

Mod your case for a 120mm Panaflo.

Silent and moves a lot of air...

I don't bother with 80mm fans anymore... too noisy...

I find that the design of the CASE itself has a great deal to do with temperature even with the same amount of fans.

My old case had 1 intake 1 exhaust, and temps were HIGHER than when I bought my new case with 1 92mm intake and NO EXHAUST.

now I've added a 120mm exhaust and temps are great.

If you want a new case with 120mm i would recommend a CHENBRO XPIDER. got it for $57 shipped. includes 1 92mm fan. (no psu).

otherwise, you'd have to get an 80mm fan, as MOST cases don't accept 120mm.

GODzillaSDM

Back