Rebuilding Dell, help please

BlindFusion

Limp Gawd
Part 2 of this saga: Dead Dell Vostro 200

So I'm gonna rebuild this Dell with a failing motherboard. I'm gonna try to reuse as much of the components as I can to keep costs down.

Only requirements in this order:
1) Reliable
2) Play Sims 3
3) Quiet
4) Cheap

Reused Items from Vostro 200
E2180 2.0 Ghz
2 GB DDR2 RAM
XFX GeForce 9400GT 512MB

New Items
$53 - GIGABYTE GA-G31M-ES2L
$14 - XIGMATEK EP-CD901 92mm Sleeve CPU Cooler
$45 - Antec earthwatts EA380 380W
$25 - Foxconn MicroATX Case
=======
~$150 shipped to fix something that was supposed to be easy and just work.​

I'm gonna throw in a Zalman fan controller in order to try to keep the computer quiet. Let me know if I'm missing something important.

@Columbia747 Yeah, forgot to mention I'd be reusing the HD and DVD drive.

@enginurd I'll just be using extra fans that I have to keep costs down, so that's why I'm going with the fan controller.

Thanks guys, I just wanted some reassurance, I'm pretty frustrated that I went with a Dell, it died and they won't talk to me because I'm three months out of warranty. So much for pre-built. At least if I had non-proprietary parts, I could just replace the motherboard.

Yah, it sux when you're out of warranty. What sux even more is that it failed in the first place. I've got several Dell systems much older than yours throughout my different fam/friends' places and even here at work, and they're still kickin. :( The only Dells I have a problem with are the slim towers, though (we have a few at work, and a majority of them needed replacement mobos while within warranty).

The included PSU in that Cooler Master case is most likely trash. Stick with the EA380 at least.

It is not as good as the Antec, but it isn't bad either. At least the case is better, and overall it will save some money.

1. Compliance with the newest Intel standard ATX 12V V2.3
2. More than 70% efficiency at typical load operation
3. High reliability (MTBF > 100,000 hrs)
4. Green design to meet Energy Star and Blue Angel requirements
5. Silent operation with intelligent fan speed control
6. Multiple protection design(OVP/ UVP /OPP/SCP / OLP)
7. Support dual +12V1 and +12V2 outputs for higher power usage
8. One 8 pin +12V CPU connector for high-end CPU
9. Two-year warranty

But the EA380 is great. I've been using mine for maybe 2 years now. Very quiet and very reliable.

It is not as good as the Antec, but it isn't bad either. At least the case is better, and overall it will save some money.

1. Compliance with the newest Intel standard ATX 12V V2.3
2. More than 70% efficiency at typical load operation
3. High reliability (MTBF > 100,000 hrs)
4. Green design to meet Energy Star and Blue Angel requirements
5. Silent operation with intelligent fan speed control
6. Multiple protection design(OVP/ UVP /OPP/SCP / OLP)
7. Support dual +12V1 and +12V2 outputs for higher power usage
8. One 8 pin +12V CPU connector for high-end CPU
9. Two-year warranty

Gonna sound like a dick here but none of those 9 items say anything at all about the PSU's quality. All of that is pretty much marketing BS except for the warranty. Even then the EA380 has a three year warranty. No mention of who made it, how much amperage there is on the +12V rail, whether or not it's rated at peak or continuous, and what temp it was rated at.

Gonna sound like a dick here but none of those 9 items say anything at all about the PSU's quality. All of that is pretty much marketing BS except for the warranty. Even then the EA380 has a three year warranty. No mention of who made it, how much amperage there is on the +12V rail, whether or not it's rated at peak or continuous, and what temp it was rated at.

:D

I just copied what the site had. Like I said, I picked the case. I know Antec is better. I have consistently used them for quality and they are damn quiet. But this is also a budget PC that will most likely be gone in less than two years. Not all inexpensive PSUs die after 6 months.

Why bother replacing the case at all? Unless its proprietary I would just keep the Dell case and get a decent PSU. From what I've seen those Dell cases are built pretty well.

Why bother replacing the case at all? Unless its proprietary I would just keep the Dell case and get a decent PSU. From what I've seen those Dell cases are built pretty well.

They are proprietary. Different type of connections.

Still...

...unless you want that new mobo dying, I'd stay away from the PSU that comes with the Cooler Master case.

The standard Vostro 200 mini tower is almost standard -- you'd have to mod the I/O plate area (cut it out, as the I/O plate is not removable). However, he has the slim version, which would require more mods, IIRC (too lazy to look).

computer cases imo should be viewed as an investment. My current case has been home to every build i've used since my OC'D Duron 600 (1ghz ohhhh yeah!)

Dell's slim case is proprietary. Plus I wanted a decent PSU. I've had bad luck just running an "okay budget" PSU.

@jay2472000 I've got AS5 from my build.

Dell's slim case is proprietary. Plus I wanted a decent PSU. I've had bad luck just running an "okay budget" PSU.

@jay2472000 I've got AS5 from my build.

I'd consider the PSU that comes with that Cooler Master case an "okay budget" PSU. The Antec Earthwatts is a good PSU, but at a decent price right now.

Back