Rebuilding BlackDragonx99

BlackDragon1971

Limp Gawd
More parts arrived last weekend as I was camping. I have what I need to rebuild my main rig, BlackDragonx99.

Lian Li 011 Dynamic Razer Edition pc case
Lian Li 011 Dynamic Razer Edition.gif

Specs are in my sig, but will take more photos as I go.

Parts going into the rebuild
Corsair Commander Pro and Lighting Node Pro. Have the RGB Fan Node already installed for the 4x Corsair HD120 RGB fans.
117956472_10164121392290438_4409186401525063255_n_LI.jpg

From Bangood ... A black 19mm Bulgin -type antivandal switch w/ White LED ring. Already soldered and wired up. Tested as working, but external to the case. Time to drill a hole in the Aluminum front bezel below the USB C port.
Black Bulgin style White LED.png

Picked up and nice 3 pc. set of Canadian Tire Maximum step drills.
117872862_10164121392310438_5771127187043366374_n.jpg

Also came in were some Velcro cable ties and Zip ties for Cable Management. Which has been sorely lacking these last few months..

I will try to shoot photos of the rebuild as I go along after the disassembly of this rig.
But first to finish my coffee... ah... morning coffee

Some photos...

Lian Li 011 Dynamic Razer Edition case has been stripped down...

IMG_0428.JPEG

Tape off the I/O ports to seal them...

IMG_0429.JPEG

Catchbag ... Figured I'd lessen the spray of aluminum fragments. Was easier to clean up anyway.

IMG_0430.JPEG

Drill location... 28 mm from side edge of bezel and 17 cm down from top. A 7/16" hole will go here to fit the barrel of the momentary switch... (note -adjust for a larger barrel on a different switch)

IMG_0432.JPEG

The switch and wiring harness. Black body and white LED ring...

IMG_0434.JPEG

Hey it's ugly, but it works...

IMG_0435.JPEG

Cordless 18V DeWalt and safety glasses... The cordless drill is not powerful enough, btw...

IMG_0436.JPEG

Broke out my corded 3/8" DeWalt drill... that has enough power to go through the aluminum. There is also the step drill bit attached.

IMG_0437.JPEG

Switch in place. It is centered on the channel on the back of the bezel. Which puts is off by a few mm, but lands well for tightening the backing nut in behind there...

IMG_0438.JPEG

Back out of the basement reassembling the BlackDragonx99. Here I am cleaning the Corsair Hydro H115i. It needed it.

IMG_0439.JPEG

Asus x99 Deluxe, Intel i7 6800k and Corsair AIO cooler installed...
EDIT : That's a piece of green Painter's Tape on the vertical M.2 NVMe SSD bracket. I found with the bracket, it grounded the Corsair Vengeance LPX RAM's heatsink. Fitment is that tight.

IMG_0441.JPEG

Cables starting to be connected. That's a TPM module installed below the USB 3 cable. The USB3 cable takes a longer route, but a cleaner result by not cramming it through an already full passthrough.

IMG_0443.JPEG

And I uploaded a video to Youtube...

Youtube Video of BlackDragonx99 operational...

Lian Li 011 Dynamic Razer Edition - click here

Last edited:
Parts list:
BlackDragonx99

Lian Li 011 Dynamic Razer Edition case
Intel Core i7 6800k LGA 2011 v3 CPU
Asus x99 Deluxe (Gen 1) motherboard
64 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 2666Mhz
EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 XC GAMING
512 GB Samsung 960 Pro M.2 NVMe SSD
1 TB Western Digital Blue 3D NAND 2.5" SATA SSD
(2x) 6 GB HGST Deskstar NAS Hard Drives
Corsair RM1000i 1kW intelligent power supply
Corsair Hydro H115i All In One liquid cooler
Corsair Commander Pro fan hub and RGB Fan Hub Node
Corsair HD120 RGB 120mm fans - (Qty. 4)
ASUS TPM Module
Black w/ White LED ring Bulgin - type antivandal momentary switch - 7/16" threaded barrel (from Bangood) - Reset switch and HDD LED functionality
NZXT Internal USB Hub - (for extra USB2 Header capacity)

Last edited:
Tested the Corsair Lighting Node Pro I bought used from eBay...
The Node shows up in iCUE software and is configurable... but the LED Strips seem to be burned out... darn it, figures...
Will purchase new from Newegg dot ca next week, Figures that something would be broken if I bought used.

Replacement Corsair Lighting Node Pro has been ordered from Newegg dot ca this morning. The ASUS x99 Deluxe motherboard has a vertical bracket for the M.2 NVMe SSD (512 GB Samsung 960 Pro already installed as C: drive). Ordered as well, a M.2 2280 heatsink. One of those cheap one sided jobbies. Thinking I have a small dual 40mm fan bracket with 2x 40mm fans installed... it may fit with some double sided tape or Gorilla brand Velcro on the heatsink. Nice thing is the 40mm fans on the dual bracket has 3 pin wiring for the Hall sensor. Should fit after I paint it black.... ideas, lol.

a tip re the corsair usb cable. once you set it up in the software your setting are stored in the pump controller. so if you want a little cleaner look you can remove the usb cable after setup.

a tip re the corsair usb cable. once you set it up in the software your setting are stored in the pump controller. so if you want a little cleaner look you can remove the usb cable after setup.
Good to know that. For now it's installed in there. It's tight against the heatsink, but fits. and I have it routed well.

Figured out how to Post from my phone... ha!
The replacement Corsair Lighting Node Pro came in from Newegg dot ca via Purolator. Installation of the module, cables and LED strips was easy. Been playing around with iCUE software getting settings I like.
Maybe some Disco, but no Rainbow Disco Puke...
Hey, I built this for the looks on a budget with a bit of performance. Think I achieved that...

Last edited:
Still have the M.2 NVMe heatsink to go on. That came in to via Newegg dot ca.
Do that later, as I may have to fiddle with it. The ASUS x99 Deluxe has a vertical M.2 NVMe SSD bracket. I believe it will fit without obstructions. A cooler running Samsung 960 Pro will be good.

Back