Rebuild or upgrade?

zetachi

Gawd
So my son has a 2500k on ASUS P8 Z68-V Gen 3 with a GTX 680. PSU took a header and looks like it took the MOBO with it.

Trying to decide.

A) just replace the MOBO $100 or so and upgrade the GPU
or
B) upgrade CPU/MOBO budget say $400 and under keeping the GPU.

Use is Overwatch/BF1/ tried to play PUBG on current setup but was getting lousy performance.

Thoughts, ideas,suggestions?

Thanks

Upgrade.. at this point doesn't worth to invest on old tech buying a Z68/Z77 Motherboard to keep using an ancient CPU that doesn't cut games decently anymore.

So my son has a 2500k on ASUS P8 Z68-V Gen 3 with a GTX 680. PSU took a header and looks like it took the MOBO with it.

Trying to decide.

or

Use is Overwatch/BF1/ tried to play PUBG on current setup but was getting lousy performance.

Thanks
You may need to also replace the RAM because most new motherboards require DDR4 RAM but your system has only DDR3 RAM. The two types of RAM are completely incompatible with one another. However, RAM prices are sky-high right now, and will remain so for months if not years to come.

sell the cpu and the video card ?? memory? and upgrade everything w/ ur $400 plus $ money from selling the other bits..

All the parts together might net me $200 if im lucky. Yes I know the raping of the ddr4 prices, blame the cell phone companies lol. I'd upgrade my 4770k and pass those down but thtas still got plenty of life in it and i'm really not in the mood to have to strip down and rebuild 2 different systems right now. thats the last one i built. I've been searching the forjms trying to find a good deal on cpu/mobo for ddr3 system or cpu/mobo/ram on a ddr4 one. Lol then will probably need to upgrade the gpu also. Ugh not the best time of the year for extra spenditures. But got to bite the bullet and get him off mine :)

You can try and find a z170 that takes ddr3? Or something like a h97, those can be found cheaper

Trying to decide.

or

Thanks
The lousy performance you're seeing from that setup is mainly due to the GTX 680, and not the CPU.

I say go ahead and replace the motherboard if you can get a replacement cheap enough. Save the extra money and get him a faster graphics card for Christmas or something. This will get you the most actual utility per dollar, if the limit you can spend is $400.

You can still get by with a Sandy bridge CPU, even if it's not really ideal. No so much with the 680.

Back