reboot while mirror set is resyncing?

doox00

2[H]4U
Is it okay to restart the computer (win 10) while a mirror set (raid 1) is resyncing? I have my data on a raid 1 setup.. I just replaced mb/cpu/ram on this machine (boot disk/os is on separate ssd). I reinstalled Win 10 and had to import the dynamic disks (mirror set) after installation. I can access all my data and its resyncing now.. but taking a long time. Is it okay to reboot during this? I assume it will just continue after I restart?

Thanks!

It will probably start over from the beginning after the restart. You shouldn't lose any data though.

Yeah it should pickup where it left off once it starts up again. Just be sure and do the reboot cleanly through the os and not by pulling the power

Intel based and standalone RAID cards that I've used will continue where they left off if you reboot during an ongoing operation. There might be some that don't, but they'd be the exception, not the rule.

Intel based and standalone RAID cards that I've used will continue where they left off if you reboot during an ongoing operation. There might be some that don't, but they'd be the exception, not the rule.

Intel and LSI/3ware/Areca will gladly resume a sync or init upon reboot IME. Scrubs/consistency checks on the hardware cards usually restart from the beginning though.

Intel and LSI/3ware/Areca will gladly resume a sync or init upon reboot IME. Scrubs/consistency checks on the hardware cards usually restart from the beginning though.
The IBM ServeRAID M5016 (LSI) I'm playing with now will will resume a patrol read, even after being powered off (not just a reboot).

thanks all for the information, I just ended up letting it finish (took 8-10 hours) before rebooted.. all is good. :)

The IBM ServeRAID M5016 (LSI) I'm playing with now will will resume a patrol read, even after being powered off (not just a reboot).

Hmm, I wonder why the LSI 9260 (same card, IIRC?) doesn't. Maybe time to update firmware/MegaRAID. Do you have a BBU attached to the card?

An answer for windows software RAID would be interesting. I have never used it, but considering how often windows wants you to reboot, it would be a shame if the rebuild would have to start again.

Back