Reboot/failure with 3DMark03/prime95

Hi there - thanks for reading this...

I've had a problem with Prime95 and 3dMark, specifically that prime95 fails during the torture test within 2 minutes, and 3DMark03 will cause the computer to shut off during the Pixel Shader 2.0 test. The test won't begin, but the comp will shut off completely, requiring me to pull the plug from the PSU and turn it off and on before it will come on again. I've just built this PC, and the RAM, processor, and video card worked just fine in the system I just dismantled. The cards/processor were stored in anti-static bags during transferral, and I used proper precautions.

Also, running the MSI Core Center program and MBM5 give temps that idle at 58C-60C, which I've not worried much about due to the temp reading coming from the die and not socket as with motherboards I've had previously. Not sure what it does under load (which I was trying to find out with prime95) but directly following my impromptu reboot with 3dMark the BIOS read at 61C...perhaps 15 seconds after the shutoff.

Could it be the motherboard? Maybe the PSU? Maybe the HSF I have, which is the Spire Whisperrock IV with AS Ceramique (2700-2900 RPM)? I had the stock cooler on this proc before and had no problems running 3dMark. I've checked (and cleaned and reapplied) the application of the AS and it seems fine as per the directions on their site.

Nothing is overclocked.

Specs:
MSI KT6 Delta LSR
AMD 2700+
Crucial PC2700 512(1 stick)
9700Pro
Enermax (the 365W model)
Seagate 120GB w/ 8 meg cache
Samsung DVD-Rom
Lite-On CDRW
XP Pro

I have a Coolermaster LED fan on the front and a ThermalTake LED on the back, both running at full speed. They seem to move alot of air.

MBM5 currently reports 56C CPU, 45C system temp, and a thermal diode I have coming from my case front panel reads 34.7C (the diode is hanging near the socket).

Core 0= 1.66v
Core 1= .05v
+3.3v= 3.39v
+5.00v= 5.08v
+12.00v= 12.04v
-12.00v= -12.60v
-5.00v= -5.29v

Thanks for any help guys!

EDIT: Forgot to mention OS...

The idle temp of the processor is too high. When the system starts doing something, that can jump the temp of the CPU up 10-15 degrees depening on the cooling and the airflow in the case. My system runs around 55 Celsius under load and that is higher than I prefer. It will usually sit at 42-46 degrees at idle when it actually has a chance to idle.

I agree it's higher than I'm really comfortable with, but even a jump under load wouldn't put it at the max temperature spec given by AMD, at 85C. Really, I'd rather it not get anywhere near that high, so under load, assuming a 10-15 degree jump, that'd put me in the 71C-73C range...and honestly, I don't know that I trust the temps, as I've read on amdmb forums that these and other MSI boards have issues with temp readings.

So if I've checked the AS application, reapplied w/cleaning, etc., the heatsink isn't too hot to the touch, what could it be? I don't feel like it's as simple a solution as the CPU being too hot, but perhaps that's the case.

Back