Real-Time Ray Tracing Is Enabled in Battlefield V

I'm sure they did shiney floors because it was easier and less computationally heavy. no doubt a ton of environmental designers are eager to use RT for fire and other object illumination... that's where the bigger change will be felt

As far as the performance hit, well sure, every new graphics thing we do will cost frames why would this be any different. The overal image fidelity might not have increased much in your opinion, but just remember this may end up saving a ton of developer's time and hopefully enables more resources to get thrown into other things like animation and AI...

I think that's a huge part of why they are excited about it, a lot of devs are not lazy fucks like you might expect, they are almost always passionate gamers who care about similar things as we do and face-palm bad AI/animation... but they are up against publishers/investors/executives and can't always convince them of where to put their money. some things are a very hard sell. RT is easier to sell, and I imagine it wouldn't have come this far unless there was some return on that investment.

RT needs something with kick to sell quick.
i was thinking how cool all the bonfire scenes of prior games would be ( STALKER comes to mind), or how awesome the burning village scene would be in Witcher 3.

now , lets see if retail Atomic Heart really utilizes such reflections as heavily as their tech trailers

If you read the thread, you would already know we went through the dollar part. I think people can have an opinion even if they can't afford it.
Obviously did read the forum posts. I just dont understand whining about bleeding edge tech by those who dont have it. I dont either but love to see it. Otherwise we stay stagnant. AMD is going to do nothing on the GPU side for many years unless you believe in unicorns and horseshoes.

This is the politics of tech now. Cause its nvidia and out of the price range of many it's bad. Sad really. We should be embracing this and encouraging it and not complaining because a preferred vendor (who's getting a lot of love and bias lately around h) isnt.

It does make it look nicer for sure but it just needs better hardware support for it. I'm sure in the future we will see cards that process this much more efficient at a much lower cost, then it'll get interesting, to have to play at 1080p with a 2080 Ti card isn't "acceptable" trade-off IMO.

Obviously did read the forum posts. I just dont understand whining about bleeding edge tech by those who dont have it. I dont either but love to see it. Otherwise we stay stagnant. AMD is going to do nothing on the GPU side for many years unless you believe in unicorns and horseshoes.

This is the politics of tech now. Cause its nvidia and out of the price range of many it's bad. Sad really. We should be embracing this and encouraging it and not complaining because a preferred vendor (who's getting a lot of love and bias lately around h) isnt.

No it's simple the price range is stupid and they deserve to hear that it's stupid from the majority. If you want to pony the money up then go ahead but dont ask others to agree it was a good idea. Cant push new tech if no one is buying it and the install base will be so tiny I dont see devs using it all unless Nvidia is greasing their pocket. This is the first game to allow us to try the RTX feature of Ray Tracing and so far it's not impressive for the frame rate cost. Also the [H] has always called it how they see it, to called them biased is a laugh, simple fact Nvidia has earned the bad press it gets. Might be the reason they have pissed off every manufacturer at one time or another.

No it's simple the price range is stupid and they deserve to hear that it's stupid from the majority. If you want to pony the money up then go ahead but dont ask others to agree it was a good idea. Cant push new tech if no one is buying it and the install base will be so tiny I dont see devs using it all unless Nvidia is greasing their pocket. This is the first game to allow us to try the RTX feature of Ray Tracing and so far it's not impressive for the frame rate cost. Also the [H] has always called it how they see it, to called them biased is a laugh, simple fact Nvidia has earned the bad press it gets. Might be the reason they have pissed off every manufacturer at one time or another.
Thanks for replying to him. Pretty much what I was going to say.

Now even if they had it at a reasonable price I do not buy tech until it's been out for a while. I do not think I would of bought one even at a good price with the problems they are having.

Figured this might be the best place to post this:

https://www.guru3d.com/news-story/n...er-perf-(but-does-not-have-any-rt-cores).html

Hilbert is actually referencing a thread over at the 3dcenter. In Guru's thread some mention that RT was originally designed using Volta since Dice didn't have any RTX's during development.

Anyone around here able to verify this on their Titan V?

They used 4x Titan Vs to push around 13 fps. A single 2080ti did 4x the fps as 4 Titan Vs. They talk about it in Digital Foundry’s videos on RT.

You can run RT on anything but it won’t be playable.

They used 4x Titan Vs to push around 13 fps. A single 2080ti did 4x the fps as 4 Titan Vs. They talk about it in Digital Foundry’s videos on RT.

You can run RT on anything but it won’t be playable.

Thanks for the bottom line #'s. I was skimming thru both threads and missed that.

Last edited:
Back