Real Time Graphics are Progressing Nicely

DooKey

[H]F Junkie
Real time graphics have always been a dream for 3D developers and Rens (Battlefield series 3D artist) has been experimenting with ways to make this a reality. He believes the next generation of graphics cards will really bring gaming to a new level. Check out the video of his work and I think you'll be pretty amazed by it. Also, it does have a 4K version if you're interested in looking at that. I can't wait to see real time graphics enter the gaming environment. Thanks cageymaru.

What happens when you ignore performance, memory, technical limitations and purely focus on getting it right? Would you still produce roughly the same results? Would you be able to get closer to photo realism? Knowing that the movie industry has managed to fool us more than once by creating realistic images, what would it take for games to look and feel the same?

0w5UAMX.gif

How wonderful. Soon people will be able to experience all this wonderful glory in their homes. As opposed to walking out the door and spending 5 minutes on their knees in the forest. Crazy world.

Rendered on a single 1080Ti, that's pretty impressive. I bet for it to be fully dynamic we would only need a relatively modest 10 card Tesla V100 array.

How wonderful. Soon people will be able to experience all this wonderful glory in their homes. As opposed to walking out the door and spending 5 minutes on their knees in the forest. Crazy world.

But, there are REAL BEARS, SNAKES, and BOAR in the forest, I'd rather deal with virtual ones.

I can't stand the depth of field blur. I actually have human peripheral vision and focus, so no need to simulate that, I'm not a camera. I end up looking at the stuff not 'in focus,' and the graphics quality of that stuff sucks.

Be sure to stay to the end, as he busts out the gun. Doesn't shoot anything, but shows it's an engine (I'd assume Frostbite 2 or 3?). He also stops fiddling with the forced DoF.

Absolutely amazing. I think we're still two generations behind though to play games at this level of detail.

Yeah, I think the issue that'll hold back games from going that detailed and pushing the graphics envelope is that it'll usually be a smaller PC focused studio that does it (think Crytek before they went mainstream). Once they get big, they're swallowed by the juggernauts and forced into Clash of Candy Crush of Dutyfield work where time is money. They'll want more of the same, target their artwork quality to what consoles can handle, and not be willing to push the boundary too far.

An executive's train of thought: "That's nice, but why spend the extra man hours putting those touches on it when only 1% can run at that resolution. Add some more loot box animations instead."

You sound like an old man.

Crysis 1 Real Life mod has been looking like the best even after all this time it's still hard to beat

Looks really good... but it seems like a static photo or something.

Meh. Narrow FOV, no practical draw distance, no animations, and heavy DoF to mask any LOD issues.

The lighting and textures look nice, but this isn't revolutionary. Seems more like he took what frostbyte 3 can already do, slapped in some crazy high res textures and cranked up the sliders on the number of lighting samples.

You can't see sights like this and also slaughter aliens, Russians, Nazis, or cultists with assault rifles IRL though... unless you want to end up on a "this is a false flag cover-up" Alex Jones episode that is.

We haven't achieved "real time graphics"?
Umm what?
This page uses real time graphics

Very cool stuff...but I think this level of detail would cost a lot to produce for a single game...but perhaps a, a micro-transaction MMORPG/BA, with frequent installments of new releases at a mere $59.99, then possibly we could have something like this *EA Scoffs*.

Closest I have seen currently, was the latest installment of Star Wars Battlefront...I was impressed.

Looks like any forest in GA, except for the annoying focusing part. Very nice.

this is just a higher res version of that 3d-scanned voxel tech demo released 5 years or so back

still no animation, soft deformation, dynamic shadows and a hundred other missing features required for an actual AAA game...

Really cool. Not like any dev will spend the money it's take to make a world like that though

this is just a higher res version of that 3d-scanned voxel tech demo released 5 years or so back

still no animation, soft deformation, dynamic shadows and a hundred other missing features required for an actual AAA game...

Yep in maybe 5 years this can run in an actual engine.

Can someone explain what makes this different from any other game other than it having higher resolution textures and more of them? Unless this is raytraced and has some super realistic lighting or something I just don't see the wow factor? That Unity demo a couple months back looks better and has animations and what not.

As a 3D artist, I can tell you that this is pretty nifty, but it's nowhere near production ready.

Animation is the big thing this is lacking, interactivity, dynamism etc.

More to the point, there needs to be clarity in what geometry the playfield takes, what's out of bounds, what's a path, what's a barrier, etc.

Looks good, but im not impressed. vegetation, plants, rocks, etc, etc are the easiest thing to get to photo quality reality. I'll be impressed when I see that scene with a lifelike Animal, or human real time rendered in it. All this was was some great textures and bokeh. Im not a 3d artist so i cant comment on any of the technicalities.

While impressive as the visuals are in the video. I can't help but think to myself that when playing FPS games how many people are actually going to stop and say "these are the best grfx in any game out there" OR even better how many people are going to be able to max settings on the realism for vegetation and sacrifice frames to get the realism factor during an intense match ? I always want to strike that balance of looking pretty good and getting the best frames to keep my advantage. To each his own i guess.
The video was impressive though.

Back