• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Real-time DTS encoding on the horizon!

SilverMK3

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Dec 15, 2002
Messages
1,346
http://www.audioholics.com/news/pressreleases/DTSConnectPCmotherboards.php

DTS Connect to Put Surround on PC Motherboards
Posted Monday, May 23 2005, by clint

DTS Bridges PC / AV Component Connectivity With DTS Connect
Strategic Partnerships with C-Media and Realtek
Bring High-Quality DTS Surround Sound into PC Motherboards

[dtslogo]DTS (Digital Theater Systems, Inc.) today launched its newest PC initiative, DTS Connect, designed to enhance the entertainment value of the PC platform. DTS has formed strategic partnerships with C-Media Electronics Inc. and Realtek Semiconductor Corp., leaders in audio solutions for the PC platform, to offer DTS audio technologies with both companies’ popular chip sets for PC motherboards, and PCI or USB soundcards.

A DTS Connect-enabled PC provides two audio benefits to the consumer: DTS Interactiveä and Neo:pCä, for both multi-channel and stereo content. Taking full advantage of the maximum data throughput of the digital interface, DTS Interactive provides a single cable connection via S/PDIF digital audio output to a DTS-enabled surround sound system by encoding all audio into a DTS-compatible bitstream at 1.5Mbps. Neo:pC, based upon DTS’ Neo:6 matrix surround technology, transforms any stereo content such as MP3, WMA or CD audio, into a 7.1-channel surround sound experience.

“The introduction of DTS Connect will bring rich DTS surround audio to the PC market worldwide simply and seamlessly. No matter what original content consumers play – whether stereo or multi-channel – DTS Connect ensures simple installation of multi-channel audio for the PC, and brings new life to stereo recordings,” said Brian Towne, Vice President, Consumer Division at DTS. “We’re proud to be working with C-Media and Realtek, two of the largest PC audio solution providers, to launch the DTS Connect program.”

“C-Media is excited to collaborate with DTS to bring DTS Connect to the PC in what is yet another first for C-Media and Realtek. PC users and consumers will really enjoy the fantastic audio experience that this technology delivers,” said Eric Cheng, President of C-Media Electronics.

About C-Media
C-Media Electronics Inc. is one of the world’s leading providers of PC audio solutions. For more than 13 years, C-Media has supplied pioneering and innovative solutions for sound cards, USB peripherals, integrated PC audio and Voiceover IP (VoIP), and is pioneering new applications in networked audio. Based in Taipei, Taiwan, C-Media is a public company listed on the Taiwan Stock Exchange under the code 6237. Please visit us at www.cmedia.com.tw and at Computex 2005, Booth #A1003.

About Realtek
Realtek Semiconductor Corp. is one of the world’s leading IC providers. It designs and develops a wide range of IC products for communications network, computer peripheral and multimedia applications. The products include 10/100/1000M Ethernet Controllers, 10/100/1000M Ethernet Switch/Gateway Controllers, 10/100/1000M Ethernet Transceivers, Wireless LAN Controllers & AP/Router SoC, ADSL Chips, VoIP Chips, AC’97/High Definition Audio Codecs, Motherboard Clock Generators, LCD Monitor Controllers and LCD TV Controllers.

Realtek, based in Taiwan, was established in 1987, has capital assets valued at US$219 million, and employs over 900 people. Its shares are listed on the Taiwan Stock Exchange and global depositary receipts were initially offered in January 2002. More information on Realtek can be found on the Web: www.realtek.com.tw.

About DTS
DTS (Digital Theater Systems, Inc.) (Nasdaq: DTSI) is a digital technology company dedicated to delivering the ultimate entertainment experience. DTS decoders are in virtually every major brand of 5.1-channel surround processors, and there are more than 300 million DTS-licensed consumer electronics products available worldwide. A pioneer in multi-channel audio, DTS technology is in home theatre, car audio, PC and game console products, as well as DVD-Video, Surround Music and DVD-ROM software. DTS audio products are featured on more than 24,000 motion picture screens worldwide. Additionally, DTS provides imaging technology and services for the motion picture industry; Lowry Digital Images, a wholly-owned subsidiary of DTS, is an industry leader in image restoration and enhancement. Founded in 1993, DTS is headquartered in Agoura Hills, California and has offices in the United Kingdom, France, Italy, Canada, Japan and China. For further information, please visit www.dtsonline.com.
DTS is a registered trademark of Digital Theater Systems, Inc.
 
lol. By like 30 seconds ;)

I'm not sure what the point of Neo:pC is though... I know that it'll matrix stereo sources to all of your surround channels, and that it'll probably do it better than any of the standard PC-based matrixing techniques (*cough*CMSS*cough*), but wouldn't most receivers manufactured in the last 2-3 years have Neo:6 Cinema and Music modes already? If not, they'd be bound to have Dolby Pro-Logic at least.

Oh well, I'm not going to complain. If they have this on an A64 Mobo I'll be the first to jump in.
 
So, what are the precise advantages to DTS over DD? I know it sounds better, due to higher bitrates, but are there other technical improvements?
 
Well, aside from a higher bit rate of ~1500kbps vs 640kbps (as you've already stated), there aren't really many other benefits.

In order to save space, both formats do some channel-combination at certain frequencies where you shouldn't be able to identify the source of the sound. I've heard that DTS may do this to a lesser extent, but I've never seen any specs to prove it.

Aside from that, one reason that some people prefer DTS over Dolby Digital is the perception that sound engineers spend more time and do a better job with DTS soundtracks for movies because the "DTS Versions" or "Special Edition" of the eventual DVD releases sell for more.

For example, I own two copies of Saving Private Ryan on DVD. I can play the opening D-Day sequence of the Dolby Digital version as loud as I can stand it without my receiver going into protection mode. When I do the same thing with the DTS version of the disc, I get much more bass and "cleaner" sounding explosions, but I've forced the receiver to shut down on two occasions.

As far as real-time DTS encoding goes, though, I don't think there will be a huge benefit over Dolby Live because the source audio is generally of lower quality anyway. It'd be cool to see this on a console, though. Maybe the PS3 will have it? Sony has collaborated with DTS in the past.
 
It's mostly the fact that you have much higher bitrates, discrete channels, and perhaps a better codec, but that's really hard to know for sure. This encoder supporting 7.1 is really nice though.
 
Its generally percieved that the higher bitrate and greater care taken with DTS tracks at production houses produces better sound. Of course that differs from dvd to dvd, but generally its true (imho).

The technical differences aside from bitrate are well publicized as DTS and Dolby had a public catfight about what filters are used, etc. They even produced their own blind tests with "experts" to prove once and for all that sound is subjective, and you like what you like.


Some linkage:
http://www.audioholics.com/techtips/specsformats/dolbydigitaldts.ph

http://www.hifi-writer.com/he/dolbydts/dolbydts.htm

http://www.spannerworks.net/reference/10_1a.asp <---good history of the formats

http://www.dolby.com/tech/mp.in.0103.DigitalVsDTS.pdf <---dolby on DTS
 
When do you suppose we will be seeing cards that support DTS Encoding?

I just ordered a X-Mystique, and after seeing this, I'm thinking of returning it and waiting for the DTS.
 
considering how long it was until we saw the first expansion board with DDL and how long DDL has been available, i wouldn't wait...

it seems sound card manufacturers have been reluctant as it is..
 
That is true...

But once DTS comes out I know I'll end up buying it.

Does anyone else second that suggestion?
 
Droban said:
That is true...

But once DTS comes out I know I'll end up buying it.

Does anyone else second that suggestion?

just enjoy your HDA, it will probably be months until this DTS card comes out. And unless you have a 5000 dollars HT setup, you probably wont notice the difference.
 
Well I have a pretty nice setup, and I can notice the difference between DTS and Dolby Digital on DVD's. 4xHarman Kardon 6inch bookshelves, 1xdual 5inch Harman Kardon Center, 1xVelodyne CHT10, and a HTR5660 Yamaha Receiver.

I mean I will still be able to watch DVD's in DTS sound, but just won't get sound encoded into DTS.

I guess I'll keep the Mysique just because I'm sick of Creative. And DTS may come on motherboards and I might just be upgrading my motherboard once it comes out. And if I do buy a new PCI card, I can always use the Mystique in another rig or a HTPC setup.
 
The big thing I think here is that Realtek is on board, which hopefully means that it will be going into many mid-high end boards (as you can find a Realtek codec on almost anything).
 
how many times have we heard about a good feature but never actually seen it... Hopefully this gets implemented, but don't get your hopes up
 
I think this will make it for several reasons:

1) The HTPC crowd is growing very fast, and they would LOVE this feature
2) Realtek and Cmedia will guarantee that this is an option for any motherboard at a 10$ [or whatever it costs] premium
3) Dolby Labs and DTS already spend plenty of time trying to one-up eachother, I don't see how DTS would let Dolby be the only real-time encoder out there =]
 
Back
Top