Ready to take a Linux plunge

Fharakin

Gawd
I am ready to try out Linux, I have readied myself. Which compilation is newbie friendly? What are some things I should know out of the gate about running it?

As for what I am going to be doing with it? Just basically toying around with it enough to become comfortable , and maybe ditching the MS trip.

Try Ubuntu or any of its spin-offs like Kubuntu and Xubuntu. I haven't used Ubuntu for a long ass while now since I use a different distro for a couple of months ang blog about it.

I think it's one of the most newbie-friendly distros. Just remember, when you have a problem...ask your community. They __will__ help you.

Add one for Ubuntu. If you get the hang of it quickly, move to Slackware. It's fully configurable and very stable. Ubuntu is nice that it can be an easy transition from Windows, but if you're someone that is more into totally modifying the OS, Slackware is the way to go.

Excellent...this is why i enjoy these forums. I shall try it and share my experiences.

+1 for Ubuntu

I've been running in a Virtual machine for a while and its great.

freebsdwiki.net; www.freebsd.org. Many have migrated to it from
Linux. (nearly used Linux more than a live cd. First read a "running linux
4th edition" to get the gist of what to do in bsd/linux/unix )

It's personal preference but I can't stand Ubuntu or some of the derivatives I've tried. I prefer openSUSE to the point I made the main distro around my place. Yast is similar to the Control Panel in Windows and you can do just about any of the configuring you need to do from that. Plus, I think the initial setup of the OS, menus and just about everything is a lot cleaner than Ubuntu.

The only thing I would consider a downside to openSUSE vs Ubuntu is that openSUSE is a much larger download for the ISO.

There's a few threads like this in the linux forum.....

From my experience in trying quite a few......
PCLinuxOS
LinuxMint (based on PCLinuxOS)
Ubuntu
OpenSUSE

I've stayed with OpenSUSE since coming across it, they just released a new version yesterday, 11.1, which is running great on my system.

A good website to take a peek at screenshots and comments about the many distros...
http://distrowatch.com/
Spend a few minutes there browsing them, take a look at the screenshots, read up on the brief comments on each.

What's neat about them..is you can try many of them without doing any changes on your system. Download the ISOs..most are what's called a "Live CD". Meaning, you can boot from the CD...and "test drive" it on your system. Without doing any changes to your hard drive, your current Windows install or whatever is not touched. It runs a little bit slower since it's booting and running from the CD..but you'll get a chance to get a look at it, see how it runs on your systems hardware, etc.

Once you select the one you like, most of them have a nice installer package which will resize your hard drive, shrinking your Windows partition if you'd like, make it dual boot...and install Linux. So when you power up your system, you'll see a boot loader giving you a choice of what OS to boot to.

There's two lines of thought about this, in general:

- Using Linux and how to get around in it
- Learning Linux and how to make it into what you truly want

For using Linux, Ubuntu is pretty much the defacto standard distribution these days. Regularly updated (hence the version numbers, the year followed by the month, hence 8.10 means 2008 release, 10th month, October... next one up is 9.04 for April of 2009, on their six month cycle), solid, fairly reliable, trouble-free, with some of the best and friendliest support forums you'll find on the entire Internet.

However, if you're interested in learning about Linux, what makes it tick and why and how to customize it on levels where learning by hands-on takes place, I still recommend Arch Linux. Arch is installed the old school way (by command line installer) and built up from scratch (don't confuse it with Linux From Scratch, however, another distro in a similar vein and much older). Arch is pre-compiled meaning it's top-performing without needing to go into a bunch of compilation routines, but of course you can do a compile that gives even better performance on your specific hardware configuration.

The Arch wiki has step-by-step instructions (literally) that will get you from downloading the ISO to installing it to most everything necessary to get a functional OS with a working desktop environment also. After that, you add every single component you're interested in - as opposed to Ubuntu which comes with a lot of stuff already.

I've had people that have never ever used a Linux box at all take the printed wiki instructions and the Arch Linux CD I make for 'em and within 48 hours they're well on their way to becoming a Penguinista instead of just checking email and surfing the web with Ubuntu like most. :D

The choice is yours... but perhaps a Mod needs to move this thread to the Linux forum where it's better suited.

I shall be echo'ing Ubuntu as well for a couple of reasons

1) its becoming synonymous with linux (whether I agree with that or not, at least a distro is getting out there !!)
2) its repositories are full!!!
3) there is alot of "howto" most are geared towards Ubuntu (but if you are familar with linux doesn't take much to tweak to other distro's - very little is distro-specific, its isolated to package manager and init/conf stuff)

When I started out with linux ~10years ago the hardest thing wasn't getting use to the way linux did thing (I grew up with Amiga's and had been exposed to UNIX, I never had a windows PC at home and didn't use school comp room) so the whole structure was easy. The hard part was knowing what programs did what

THAT is why for quite some time I used Mandrake since it came with a couple of CD's packed full of applications and over the years I found out what is good for what

I'd agree, Ubuntu is the way to go. OpenSuse is ok, I just didn't think it's menu layout is very intuitive. But I'm sure its like anything else Linux, it's just a matter of learning it. I do like the KDE version of Ubuntu (kubuntu) as well.

I agree as well. As one of the many "out of the box" distros, Ubuntu is quicker than Open Suse and more stable than Fedora.

Although I think this weekend I'll play around with Arch, wanna get dirty. :D

I use openSUSE. I've found it easier to use than several other distributions including ubuntu, debian, gentoo, and mepis. I also like that its supported by a company, and it is friendlier with windows computers on a network than other distros.

As I say in every "which distro should I try" thread, grab a couple and try them. Run a couple LiveCD's or install a couple in VM's and see which one you like. Other than which desktop they use, most of the differences between the major distros are all cosmetic.

forgot pcbsd.org in my post above. What I used similar
is freesbie (have it on a spare computer) live cd >> to hd.
remembered from a discussion today on the freebsd-questions list

I too am just diving into the idea of using a Linux distro on my desktop. For servers I have always used CentOS which kicks ass but for my desktop I wanted something more bleeding edge. I tried fedora 10 and was disappointed by the lack of support for my integrated Intel audio :(. It worked fine with Fedora 8 but not 10 :(. I'm about ready to install OpenSuse 11.1 and see how that compares, here is to hoping it kicks ass :)!

There's a few threads like this in the linux forum.....

From my experience in trying quite a few......
PCLinuxOS
LinuxMint (based on PCLinuxOS)
Ubuntu
OpenSUSE

Just to nitpick and be annoying, Mint is based on Ubuntu, not PCLinuxOS. PCLinuxOS has no Debian roots.

I like certain distros but first read posts from the anti-linux crowd. I've found it helpful and tends to offer a better balance and perspective to the impassioned advocates.

Here's one clip ...

'Rarely, and I mean rarely (i.e. hard enough to find that it's not worth trying out 3000 different apt-get installs for programs that do the same thing), you find a project that has a really good developer writing really good code, but it's not backed by a sustainable model. These projects get far enough to get included on most distros (mostly feuled by ego), but then die, because the developer wakes the fuck up and realizes he should be getting paid, or some company comes along and snatches him up.'

http://linuxhaters.blogspot.com/2008/06/good-software-isnt-really-free.html

Another good source to start: http://www.linuxhaxor.net/2008/08/16/5-anti-linux-sites-you-must-follow/

I like certain distros but first read posts from the anti-linux crowd. I've found it helpful and tends to offer a better balance and perspective to the impassioned advocates.

Here's one clip ...

'Rarely, and I mean rarely (i.e. hard enough to find that it's not worth trying out 3000 different apt-get installs for programs that do the same thing), you find a project that has a really good developer writing really good code, but it's not backed by a sustainable model. These projects get far enough to get included on most distros (mostly feuled by ego), but then die, because the developer wakes the fuck up and realizes he should be getting paid, or some company comes along and snatches him up.'

Another good source to start: http://www.linuxhaxor.net/2008/08/16/5-anti-linux-sites-you-must-follow/

How is having a discussion on the viability of open source valid to this thread? In any way, you know there are flavors of linux that aren't free. If you really want to pay money, there are options.

I'd start out on Ubuntu, and learn the ropes on that. Once you're feeling pretty bad-ass about things, try out Arch or Gentoo (And if you do go with Gentoo, make sure you use the command line installer, because it's more bad-ass than GUI). After successfully installing either Arch or Gentoo, you should be able to lift cars over your head.

I'd start out on Ubuntu, and learn the ropes on that. Once you're feeling pretty bad-ass about things, try out Arch or Gentoo (And if you do go with Gentoo, make sure you use the command line installer, because it's more bad-ass than GUI). After successfully installing either Arch or Gentoo, you should be able to lift cars over your head.

LOL

Gentoo still isn't bad-ass enough. When your ready to graduate to true bad-assness, give Linux from Scratch a twirl. :D

Linux from scratch still isn't badass. When I see someone doing everything with ones and zeros, I'll be impressed.

"http://linuxhaters.blogspot.com was running GFE on Linux when last queried at 25-Dec-2008 09:01:51 GMT"

It's good enough to run the architcture of a blog apparently?

I guess good blogs aren't gratis either.

Gentoo still isn't bad-ass enough. When your ready to graduate to true bad-assness, give Linux from Scratch a twirl. :D

I did. Came out of it feeling like I wasted a good few days of my life. Didn't seem like it was worth the time and effort when I don't even use Linux for anything.

I suggest using Ubuntu. It isn't Ubuntu is better than other Linux. You will find commercial and on-line help a lot easier to find with your favorite search engine.

Linux Mint. It's a mix of Ubuntu without the bloat, and Debian without the hardcore un-user-friendliness.

It's good enough to run the architcture of a blog apparently?

I guess good blogs aren't gratis either.

That site was hosted with Blogspot dude...of course it's running Linux. (Actually, the best hosts use FreeBSD, but now I'm treading on some toes. ;))

And then after all that you realize you spent 100+ hours of your time on what you could have gotten by just buying a MacBook at 1/10th of the price for your time. :p

I guess Linux is hard to get feet wet for some people. The only good suggestion I have for some people is download many Linux LiveCDs that install to the drive much as possible. Blank CDs are cheap. If not, get some blank cd-rw. If the livecd detects all your existing hardware, stick with that distro. Most modern distros use the up to date kernel and most of them compile the kernel with the default setting. The trimming all kinds of fat is kind of old way of doing things Also, avoid Linux distros that have to be 100% open source drivers. You will pull too much hairs and there will be too much learning curve for beginners. These days, doing things from the scratch is very rare. Doing things the old way is slowly disappearing.

Linux Mint. It's a mix of Ubuntu without the bloat, and Debian without the hardcore un-user-friendliness.

That site was hosted with Blogspot dude...of course it's running Linux. (Actually, the best hosts use FreeBSD, but now I'm treading on some toes. ;))

And then after all that you realize you spent 100+ hours of your time on what you could have gotten by just buying a MacBook at 1/10th of the price for your time. :p

Are you a CEO? My time is worth alot, but spending money on a Mac Book, while they are pretty, just isn't worth it. Especially since I would end up dual booting anyway when I wanted to game.

I have many trees in my yard, but none of them grow money.

I would say please go with Ubuntu overall. Even though I just went through hell with it; I still seemed compelled to try it again someday.

It seemed good overall, for the 45mins. I played with it, but once flash wouldn't install I gave up lol. Ubuntu was a great adventure though.

I used to work on Macs at my last job. Definitely a low point in my life, despite it being short lived.

I used to work on Macs at my last job. Definitely a low point in my life, despite it being short lived.

Tiger or Leopard? It's improved drastically in the last year, and is going to get even better in 10.6 with full Exchange integration.

Multimedia codecs in Ubuntu is a copy/paste away.

+1 for Ubuntu.

Multimedia codecs in Mint are already there.

-1 for Ubuntu. :p

OSX >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Linux as a desktop OS, you're crazy man ;)

I think OSX is a kick ass...
BUT! WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT! ;)
Compare to Linux? Before we flame, OSX is more closer to Windows functionality than Linux.Linux is just open kernel that you can do whatever you want it to be... If you want a build a sushi chef with it... go right ahead... Sex machine for your girlfriend when you are away for work... why not...

Once you go Mac you never go back.

Hmm... I used to be a heavy Protool users in the 90s. I love Mac for idiots like me to be a recording producer. These days, the onboard DSP fx card isn't necessary. Yes, there are people who stop using Mac. I only use Windows, because of work related things. Most old Window users only use it by force or money. Once in a while, I use OSX. Most of the time, I prefer Linux.

Back