Ready to buy, but no one has anything in stock!

skritch

2[H]4U
Grr. I've waited and waited until the time/money was right so I could begin ordering my new system (AMD FX-55, MSi K8N Neo2 Platinum, 1GHz OCZ EL Platinum Rev2 2-2-2-5, etc.).

So, I start looking around last week and this week, hoping to begin ordering things like my graphics card, only to discover that nobody has anything in stock! I wanted to buy either the Visiontek X800XT-PE or the Asus V9999 Ultra Deluxe (NOT the gamer's edition), but nobody has either of them in stock! (yes, I've checked Monarch, Zipzoomfly, GameVE, Newegg, BB, CompUSA, etc. etc. etc. etc.)

I really wanted to order today, because the motherboard I wanted just came back in stock at Newegg, but if I can't get the video card, I may as well wait and see if an NF4 board comes out soon, and whether the PCI-E versions of the cards I want become available.

Does anyone know what the heck's going on with the channel supplies? It's as though the manufacturers are having yield problems or can't source parts. Was there a chip fab fire somewhere or something?

If you don't mind a regular X800XT, I believe Visiontek's website has them in-stock.

Scott

sonyman said:
If you don't mind a regular X800XT, I believe Visiontek's website has them in-stock.

Scott

I've really got my heart set on one of the two I listed above. I'd really rather not buy anything else, or buy a lower-end card and mod/flash it. Thanks for the suggestion, though!

I agree that it is frigging crazy there are still no supplies of X800XT-PE's and 6800Ultras, though the 6800U's are a little easier to find but not by much.

I mean come one it has been over 6months since the official launches and still are [H]ard to find :confused:

Even the 6800 GTs have been tough to get a hold of lately though obviously easier than the Ultras, Newegg had the XFX and PNY (which is out already, not sure 'bout XFXs) come in on Monday and I just got a notification that the Gigabyte TDH version is in... It's actually a pretty nice bundle for the price, $399 and it comes with D3 (the other cards have rather crappy or non existent bundles) and a spiffy looking heatpipe cooler (dunno how effective it is).

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?description=14-125-151&depa=0

i grabbed a leadtek 6800gt monday night at about 7:30pm est. 6am this morning they were all gone.

skritch, i know how you feel. I was in the same situation as you when i decided to order a 6800GT. As i live in Canada, it is very very very hard to find a available one. I finally found one but the price is a little higher than the average and i didn't mind paying it just to get it earlier. Many Canadian store has a ETA of 3 weeks to 1 month and there is long list of customers waiting for these cards. vbmenu_register("postmenu_1026845401", true);

skritch said:
Grr. I've waited and waited until the time/money was right so I could begin ordering my new system (AMD FX-55, MSi K8N Neo2 Platinum, 1GHz OCZ EL Platinum Rev2 2-2-2-5, etc.).

So, I start looking around last week and this week, hoping to begin ordering things like my graphics card, only to discover that nobody has anything in stock! I wanted to buy either the Visiontek X800XT-PE or the Asus V9999 Ultra Deluxe (NOT the gamer's edition), but nobody has either of them in stock! (yes, I've checked Monarch, Zipzoomfly, GameVE, Newegg, BB, CompUSA, etc. etc. etc. etc.)

I really wanted to order today, because the motherboard I wanted just came back in stock at Newegg, but if I can't get the video card, I may as well wait and see if an NF4 board comes out soon, and whether the PCI-E versions of the cards I want become available.

Does anyone know what the heck's going on with the channel supplies? It's as though the manufacturers are having yield problems or can't source parts. Was there a chip fab fire somewhere or something?

Hey, another system like mine! Ha! J/K! ;) You'll love it once you get it up and running. I vouched for the 6800 GT from Gainward, and believe me when I say I went through the same thing you are now. I wanted the Golden Sample version since it runs at Ultra speeds right out of the box, but I couldn't find it anywhere. After lots of searching, I found it one day at SpaceCenter Systems for $475 OUCH! I wanted it so bad I bought it. I mean, look at my system. I had already spent a lot anyway. What was another $475 going to hurt? LOL So I would say just be patient and keep searching. Of note, when I did find the Gainward card, I used Pricegrabber. Pricewatch did not show it, so you might want to try both or some other price search engine to find your parts. I bought my CPU from Monarch and my memory from OCZ after a RMA on some PC4200 Gold Series Rev. 2 from Newegg. Everything else came from Newegg.

:p I would say start purchasing and piecing together your PC, place an order for the GPU, by the time your PC is ready you might have the video card. Nice system by the way. I did a small search on google and here is a link. It has an unbelievable price tag of $899!!! Not worth it. Also on ebay people are bidding upwards of around $810<<Holy Shit!
http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=324523

Go with PCI-Express board if you havent ordered it yet...
First because you will have an easier time to find video cards with pci-e than AGP....
Otherwise you have blazin system...

holla :D

Kerepla said:
Go with PCI-Express board if you havent ordered it yet...
First because you will have an easier time to find video cards with pci-e than AGP....
Otherwise you have blazin system...

...and because the refresh for these cards around the corner will all be PCIe. You might actually want to consider waiting a few months to get a refresh instead.

skritch said:
I've really got my heart set on one of the two I listed above. I'd really rather not buy anything else, or buy a lower-end card and mod/flash it. Thanks for the suggestion, though!

ok .. really though ... get a sapphire card ... WHAT are you gaining by paying more for a card that will give you the same performance .... Sapphire cards are sold at msrp and they come with Splinter Cell and Prince of Persia. I have one and I'm extremely happy and I'm gonna be installing ati silencer today or tomorrow ... Don't waste time and go ahead and order it.

Does anybody check NCIX? Last time I looked they had some Ultras in stock, and had access supposedly to XTPEs (not in their warehouse however, so.... yah). I dont think they have the or many or any Visionteks, but I know they carry alot of Asus cards. You might want to look there.

Oops heh, looks like nearly everything cept some Celestica X800 Pros and a few GTs and nus are gone. Sorry, my bad. Still, they have some sweet deals every once in a while, and my experiences with them were smooth and nice.

mohammedtaha said:
ok .. really though ... get a sapphire card ... WHAT are you gaining by paying more for a card that will give you the same performance .... Sapphire cards are sold at msrp and they come with Splinter Cell and Prince of Persia. I have one and I'm extremely happy and I'm gonna be installing ati silencer today or tomorrow ... Don't waste time and go ahead and order it.

Well, I'd consider it, but from what I've seen, nobody has the Sapphire XT-PE's in stock, either.

tranCendenZ said:

After checking them out on resellerratings, there's absolutely no way I'd order from them. Lifetime average of 2.02, 6-month sliding window average of 1.04? Out of 10? No thanks. The only thing that'd be worse than not being able to find anyone stocking the cards would be ordering from a company that's going to d1ck me around on the order.

hey if you were planning to buy them expensive .. then you can get them for canada ... i can name a few companies that have them

sohodiffusion they offer COD so you're not gonna get jacked incase you thought they were fishy

and if you go ahead with the pci-x

ncix

don't wait too long there are only a few in stock .. i would say go ahead with NCIX and order it NOW get the pci-x you're gonna get the same performance

mohammedtaha said:
hey if you were planning to buy them expensive .. then you can get them for canada ... i can name a few companies that have them

sohodiffusion they offer COD so you're not gonna get jacked incase you thought they were fishy

and if you go ahead with the pci-x

ncix

don't wait too long there are only a few in stock .. i would say go ahead with NCIX and order it NOW get the pci-x you're gonna get the same performance

Well, there aren't any PCI-Express Socket 939 motherboards available, so PCI-E isn't an option.

I'll keep the Canadian company in mind as a last resort. Thanks.

mohammedtaha said:
what are u talkin about ?

abit

is your problem solved ? :D

Can't buy it anywhere. And there's the added joy of it being a VIA chipset, which I'd rather avoid.

well .. no offense but u should've bought the x800xt pe ... when it was in stock if you had enough money , since you were saving. I guess it's a waiting game .. what u can do is pick a company out .. maybe ncix ... they're good .. and just pay for it and wait till it comes in .. u can order a few things from their website too and u'll pay a lot less in s&h .. the funny thing is they partially send u what's in stock .. and then send u what's back ordered when it's in stock without u having to pay seperately .. so go ahead ... and if u can .. price verify ur products .. then u'r definitely gettin a GOOD deal ..

u can't go wrong

skritch said:
After checking them out on resellerratings, there's absolutely no way I'd order from them. Lifetime average of 2.02, 6-month sliding window average of 1.04? Out of 10? No thanks. The only thing that'd be worse than not being able to find anyone stocking the cards would be ordering from a company that's going to d1ck me around on the order.

Likely a big part of their low reseller ratings is because they made a pricing mistake, sold that 6800U at $139 and pissed off a lot of people when their orders were cancelled.

you obviously have alot of money to blow why not go nf4sli dual gt's and a fx55

Grasshopper, when are you going to realize that brand doesnt matter for a videocard, as the BIOSes, and everything else are interchangeable and exactly the same! Just get what ever brand of X800XT PE or 6800 Ultra you can find in stock.

Now, motherboards are a completely different story, stick with Abit or Asus and you'll always be happy.

P.S. I'd stay clear of Via mobos in general, too. For AMD I'd get a Nforce. They have gotten A LOT better, and Asus and Abit do great jobs of minimizing the BIOS problems, but Nforce would be my choice also.

Bigjohns97 said:
you obviously have alot of money to blow why not go nf4sli dual gt's and a fx55

1) I can't buy an NF4 board right now.
2) I can't buy an SLI-capable board right now.
3) Both are first-revision technologies
4) SLI requires the purchase of identical cards
5) SLI either
a) Splits the 16 channels of the PCI-E bus for the cards into 2x8 channels, or
b) Allocates the remaining 4 channels to the second card.

I'll wait for SLI until the NF4 bugs are worked out, the SLI bugs are worked out, and the number of channels have been increased to the point that both cards are able to use the full 16x bandwidth.

Besides,
6) I have a lot of money to spend, but not an infinite amount. I budgeted for one card, not two. I have other things to spend money on (my mortgage, my conferences and conference travel, bills, food, property taxes, income tax, etc.)

skritch said:
5) SLI either

I'll wait for SLI until the NF4 bugs are worked out, the SLI bugs are worked out, and the number of channels have been increased to the point that both cards are able to use the full 16x bandwidth.

Besides,
6) I have a lot of money to spend, but not an infinite amount. I budgeted for one card, not two. I have other things to spend money on (my mortgage, my conferences and conference travel, bills, food, property taxes, income tax, etc.)

I believe one card uses x16 and the other uses x8, but even x8 is more than you'll need as far as bandwidth. 8xAGP wasn't even completely utilized. In fact, we were just getting to the point with Geforce6 and X800 where 4xAGP would have ALMOST been a bottleneck.

But that would be cool if a later revision could use 2 x16 channels. Though I doubt there would be much of a difference IF ANYTHING at all.

chrisf6969 said:
Grasshopper, when are you going to realize that brand doesnt matter for a videocard, as the BIOSes, and everything else are interchangeable and exactly the same!

Not entirely true. Different manufacturers use different speed RAM, different techniques for part selection, different last-stage output filter designs, different cooling mechanisms, different trace layouts, and have different warranties and reliability.

If every board were the same, benchmark (synthetic and real-world) comparisons between the same card from different vendors would be equal. They aren't.

If every board were the same, boards from different vendors would OC to exactly the same maximum GPU and RAM speeds. They don't. Sure, I *might* be able to hit 425/1100 with another vendor's card, but buying one clocked there by default guarantees I can hit it, with the possibility of going higher, because that vendor was forced to use better-quality parts to reliably produce that clock.

chrisf6969 said:
I believe one card uses x16 and the other uses x8

I don't think that's possible, as the current PCI-E busses only have 20 channels total.

skritch said:
5) SLI either

Besides,

1 & 2. Can't buy a x800xt right now either
3. nforce chipset is not first revision tech
4. You don't have to buy both cards at the same time
5. Neither card will ever use all 8 lanes of pci-e anyways, we can't even saturate 8xagp
6. I am just trying to provide a suggestion that will allow future upgrades. Plus i have not seen performance like that anadtech article playing cs:s @ 100fps avg

Bigjohns97 said:
1 & 2. Can't buy a x800xt right now either

Yes, but the NF4 motherboards haven't been manufactured and released for sale. The X800XT-PE and 6800 Ultras have.

3. nforce chipset is not first revision tech

NF4 is. Otherwise, the NF3 chipsets would have been perfect, because by your logic, they weren't first-revision tech.

5. Neither card will ever use all 8 lanes of pci-e anyways, we can't even saturate 8xagp

Your crystal ball is astounding.

skritch said:
Not entirely true. Different manufacturers use different speed RAM, different techniques for part selection, different last-stage output filter designs, different cooling mechanisms, different trace layouts, and have different warranties and reliability.

If every board were the same, benchmark (synthetic and real-world) comparisons between the same card from different vendors would be equal. They aren't.

If every board were the same, boards from different vendors would OC to exactly the same maximum GPU and RAM speeds. They don't. Sure, I *might* be able to hit 425/1100 with another vendor's card, but buying one clocked there by default guarantees I can hit it, with the possibility of going higher, because that vendor was forced to use better-quality parts to reliably produce that clock.

eVGA 6800 Ultra is in stock http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=14-130-196&depa=0

The quality requirements for a high end 6800 or X800 videocard are VERY high, due to things like 1Ghz + ram, etc. All of the videocard manufactures use the SAME exact ram on the 6800Ultras. In fact most cards initially sold were reference designs with different stickers slapped on them. The 6800 vanilla is really the only card that has any difference from manufacturer to manuf. but still minor.

THere are the odd ball cards like the 6800 vanilla with 256MB DDR3, its just a GT that probably had a quad fail, so they're salvaging it as an overpriced 6800 vanilla. Or the 128Mb 6800GT, which is probably just a 6800 vanilla that the manufacturer realized had all its quads good, so why sell it for less and have someone soft mod it for free.

THe benchmarks are the SAME for all same model (diff brand) cards. Unless they alter the clock, like BFG, pre-overclocks cards. If they clocks are at the same speeds, they perform IDENTICALLY. with less than a 1% deviation which is with in margin of error.

skritch said:
Yes, but the NF4 motherboards haven't been manufactured and released for sale. The X800XT-PE and 6800 Ultras have.

NF4 is. Otherwise, the NF2 chipsets would have been perfect, because by your logic, they weren't first-revision tech.

Your crystal ball is astounding.

If you are going to say nf4 is first rev then your board you picked in the first post is first rev also.
It's not breaking news that 8xagp isn't used today and 8xpcie is twice the bandwidth of 8xagp still.
NF4 motherboard should be showing up anytime now.

It depends what your looking for? Not sure with all this talk between X800xt pe or gt6800 ultra! But I know that Monarch has the Evga Geforce 6800 ultra in stock NOW!!! And the Power-Color X800xt In stock Now!! Both Agp. If you are looking for PCIE then they have the
Ati (Sapphire) X800xt platinum in stock Now! And the Evga 6800gt PCIE in stock Now! So if you want the hook up with video cards i always go to www.monarch.com and check out some of their older cards they drop the prices on. It might sound like a one sided opinion but they have always taken care of me and my friends!

tranCendenZ said:
Likely a big part of their low reseller ratings is because they made a pricing mistake, sold that 6800U at $139 and pissed off a lot of people when their orders were cancelled.

Actually, the company has been investgated by the FBI and the BBB so I would not buy from them.

chrisf6969 said:
THe benchmarks are the SAME for all same model (diff brand) cards.

http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=Njcy

with less than a 1% deviation which is with in margin of error.

Really? What's the p-value and standard deviation which led you to the conclusion that a 1% range in the scores was within the margin of error? Tossing data because it's attributable to lying within a "margin of error" is not something that's pulled out of thin air...it has a solid mathematical basis. You can't just say "1% deviation" is "with in margin of error" without knowing something about the sample size, population represented by said sample, and the properties of the dataset.

Just because vairance is small, does not automatically mean it's ignorable.

Bigjohns97 said:
If you are going to say nf4 is first rev then your board you picked in the first post is first rev also.

Yes, but the NF3 chipset has been out for quite a while now, and the bugs have come to light and the vendors have had time to address them in both hardware and with BIOS changes.

Not so for NF4.

ok statistician are u gonna get the x800xt from the above stores or not ? Go with the x800xt even if it's not platinum since they o/c to platinum anyways and I have never heard of anyone complaining about their x800xt's ...

enough arguing u 2 :rolleyes:

NF4 is just NF3 w/SLI/PCIe. If PCIe wasn't here and/or NVidia wasn't launching SLI we wouldn't even have NF4 or it'd be called NF3+SLI or something. NF3 itself was just an evolution of NF2 with a new socket... Alas, there's always gonna be kinks to work out when the board and BIOS are brand new, I wouldn't expect an NF4 board to perform any better or be more stable than an NF3 board whose BIOS has been worked on for months.

Back