Re-use Antec Neopower 500?

skyline889

[H]ard|Gawd
I'm building a basic i7 rig and was wondering if an Antec NeoPower 500w would be enough to power an Asus P6T, i7-920, 6GB ram, a couple of hard drives, and a 9600GT? The 9600GT I know is old and slow but it's all that's really needed in my application so it will for sure either be the 9600 or something similar for graphics (So video cards shouldn't be adding too much of a load). The one thing I'm worried about is that the Asus takes an 8pin EPS while the Antec only has a 4-pin ATX. Will this be a problem in terms of stability?

The one thing I'm worried about is that the Asus takes an 8pin EPS while the Antec only has a 4-pin ATX. Will this be a problem in terms of stability?

Ehh not really. Your PSU will be fine, if a tad old.

Are you sure it doesn't have an 8-pin EPS12V connector? My 500W Neopower does.

Are you sure it doesn't have an 8-pin EPS12V connector? My 500W Neopower does.

so does mine

that should be enough for your new i7 rig. I had mine powering a similar setup but I had a 4870 instead of a 9600GT.

Hmm, maybe it does. I haven't cracked the box open in a while so I was just going by online info. Good to know it'll run the rig fine!

why "had" and not "have"? did something go wrong?

I had the neopower when I had a single 4870. I then went with them in crossfire which needed more then 500w so I got my current PSU. I then decided the power consumption and heat were not worth so I went with the 5850 - which would have run fine on the 500w as well.

Back