Re-installing H50

JookyOne

Limp Gawd
Got my B3 replacement board and ripped everything apart last night to put the new revision board in. I don't know what kind of double sided tape Corsair used on their mounting bracket that affixes to the back of the motherboard, but it took every ounce of strength I have to rip that thing off. I managed to get it off with most of the tape material intact, but the sticky portion of the tape is going back with the original motherboard to ASUS. :D

I cleaned the remaining thermal paste off the back of the cooler and processor and now I just need to reapply some new stuff. Wish I didn't have to wipe the slate clean as I understand the stock paste is Shin Etsu, but there's no way I could reinstall the H50 with the state the remaining paste was in. For anyone that's done this before, did you apply the paste via the pea method to the back of the processor or spread it evenly on the face of the H50? I'll be using some Arctic Silver I have as it's my only option at present.

This is also why I've learned not to take off the backing that allows you to "stick" a backplate on. I had the same issue with my ol' Tuniq Tower on my 780i. It took so much force to get it off (I even tried the trick to heat it up with a blow dryer for a while to soften up the adhesive) that I actually bent the backplate a bit.

As for AS5, the pea method is fine. It'll spread out to all the nooks and crannies. Thicker TIM's usually require it to be spread out a bit to help with the process.

And lucky you to have gotten your B3 board. I've msged MSI about this, and they said they weren't going to "have" replacements until Late March / Early-Mid April, meanwhile I see the same mobo (B3 stepped of course) being sold on newegg. Doesn't make sense how early adopters weren't catered to first.

I'm just hopeful that my B3 isn't rife with issues from what I've been reading over on the Intel Motherboard threads. I'll give the pea method a shot and see how we do.

When i installed my h50 i used the pea method using artice silver 5 :) it sucks to install on the cpu while not letting it slide around

I lost the link but there's some comprehensive spreading guide floating around somewhere explaining the different techniques for different types of coolers. The Shin Etsu corsair uses is real thick like and dry so it's much different than off the shelf paste. If using AS5 or MX-2 I actually like to get a plastic baggie, turn it inside out and spread the paste evenly over the heatspreader of the processor, some guys like to use credit cards but the baggie is cleaner imo. A benefit of the pea method though is that it will show you any high spots or uneven surface mating between the block and cpu.

Back