Razer ... never again

Voxata

Limp Gawd
I've got a deathadder which is my first (and last) Razer product. 8 months in the left double clicks. Happens right? I request an advanced RMA TWO months ago. They require me to print up a form and fill it out, scan and email it in (what is this the 90s?). There's some hassle here and there and now 3 weeks ago my card was charged. No communication throughout. I ask on status and they say maybe the package got lost in shipping (ya know, because I never got a tracking or notification it shipped). They said they'd research and ship one out. Week or so goes by more, and here we are. They still haven't done a thing. AVOID this company like the plague! /rant over. On a side note, I need a new mouse... any suggestions coming from a deathadder? I'd like the mouse if it wasn't so overpriced and cheaply built.

Razer is very hit or miss with their quality. I moved on from a Razer DeathAdder in the late 2000s to Logitech (replacement DeathAdders, even used, were asking for far too much). Performance Mouse MX -> Logitech G700s -> Proteus Core G502 has been my upgrade path.

Razer is garbage as shit, found out about 10 years ago never touched them since.

3 weeks ago my card was charged

Credit card, I hope. If so, issue a chargeback. Call the number on the back of the card and ask to "dispute the charge." If it's Amex/Discover, you get the money back no questions asked. If it's Visa/MC, depending on the amount there's also a small fine that the merchant (Razer) has to cough up to Visa/MC. All merchants hate chargebacks. The mere threat of them can be instant "stellar customer service" if you're talking to someone high enough up the chain (a low level employee doesn't care if their boss gets fined).

On a side note, I need a new mouse... any suggestions coming from a deathadder?

Steelseries Rival 300 if you like a rubberized grip, Ducky Secret if you want something built like a tank. Both should feel familiar if coming from a DA.

Deathadder has a pretty standard profile. The Zowie FK1 is pretty similar in shape and size and is widely used in the pro scene.

I dropped Razer 10 years ago. The worst customer service. I use Corsair mice. I came from a death adder. I currently use a M95.

Corsair M65, CM Storm Sentinel Advance II, CM Storm Spawn... read up on those, all great mice depending what you're looking for. There are others to - Steelseries Sensi, Minox, etc.

Thanks for the suggestions, much appreciated I had been eyeballing the zowie.

Ive had this deathadder for about 3-4 years now, absolutely loved. Been dealing with the double click thing, is it an issue that can't be fixed with software?

Corsair M65, CM Storm Sentinel Advance II, CM Storm Spawn... read up on those, all great mice depending what you're looking for. There are others to - Steelseries Sensi, Minox, etc.
Which one of those would you say is most like the DA? Was considering replacing this DA with the Chroma due to how much i loved it, but the double click bs has made me reluctant

Ive had this deathadder for about 3-4 years now, absolutely loved. Been dealing with the double click thing, is it an issue that can't be fixed with software?

Which one of those would you say is most like the DA? Was considering replacing this DA with the Chroma due to how much i loved it, but the double click bs has made me reluctant

None. The two with the closest resemblance, IMO, are the Zowie EC series, and the Ducky Secret (near doppleganger). For reference:

Razer DeathAdder Chroma - The World's Best Gaming Mouse
ZOWIE - EC Series Series
DuckyChannel - Ducky Secret

Razer quality has been shit from the beginning. Their first mouse, the Razer Boomslang was a huge (literally massive) pile of shit. I've never been happy with any of their products I've tried for various reasons. Reliability being chief among them.

I generally prefer Logitech for my mice and keyboards but I gotta say the DeathAdder is my 2nd favorite mouse (G502 #1) and the BlackWidow Ultimate is my favorite keyboard. I love the reds on my K70 but the look and feel of the BWU along with the Blue switches which I like a lot too are just right for me. Haven't had any problems out of them either.

I generally prefer Logitech for my mice and keyboards but I gotta say the DeathAdder is my 2nd favorite mouse (G502 #1) and the BlackWidow Ultimate is my favorite keyboard. I love the reds on my K70 but the look and feel of the BWU along with the Blue switches which I like a lot too are just right for me. Haven't had any problems out of them either.
Having owned both, I can tell you that the BlackWidow Ultimate's trash compared to the feel of the K70 with Cherry MX Blue switches. The newer Razer keyboards are even worse since they ditched the Cherry MX switches. Actually, the BWU's quality and the feel of the keys is pretty bad compared to virtually any other keyboard with the same switches.

Having owned both, I can tell you that the BlackWidow Ultimate's trash compared to the feel of the K70 with Cherry MX Blue switches. The newer Razer keyboards are even worse since they ditched the Cherry MX switches. Actually, the BWU's quality and the feel of the keys is pretty bad compared to virtually any other keyboard with the same switches.

I was kinda wondering how they were with the new switches. Ive only owned them with the Cherry MX Blues. I also liked the looks of them. I admit Im a sucker for the gimicky gamer stuff. The gloss finish and cool blue backlighting is up my alley. The BWU was one of the only backlit mechanical gaming keyboards around back then and backlighting was something I really wanted cause my PC/gaming room is usually dimly lit. Plus, the cool gamer lights amirite! :D

I agree with you on the K70. This is an excellent keyboard and these Reds are my new favorite switch. I only wish Id coughed up the extra cash for the RGB version because this red backlighting is kinda hard to see sometimes and it starts to blur.

Thanks for the heads up, although I always found their products way overpriced.

If you want good service and quality stick with Logitech. My Logitech MX518 had a mouse foot fall off so I contacted Logitech about it and they sent me a new one right away and allowed me to keep the old one too. New one came with better mouse feet too.

I was considering the Death Adder just recently because the ergonomics are the same as the venerable Microsoft Explorer 3.0 but read about too many issues with quality control of Death Adder so opted to try out a Wireless Logitech MX510 lazer mouse, doesn't cost $100+ either. It has way faster tracking than my MS Explorer and had to turn sensitivity way down, and contrary to popular opinion, the wireless does not affect my scores in Battlefield 4 one bit. No more mouse cord snagging is great.

My MS Explorer 3.0 is about 12 years old and still works perfectly too. My MX518 has developed a bad wire connection though.

I checked out numerous "gaming" mice and I don't want rainbow bling lights or 20 buttons. KISS.

Last edited:
Razer stuff looks cool, but I have to realllly think long and hard about ever buying their stuff. The quality isn't commensurate with the price. Not even close. I've tried a number of their products, and it's a shame. I'm not sure why they choose to shoot themselves in the foot like that.

Last I checked, Mionix has been pretty popular among gamers. Check out the Castor.
I'm stlil using a Logitech G9x. Agree that Razer is shit.

they used to be good back 10yrs ago, now they make low quality overpriced stuff and you have to install their cloud sh1t to change anything on their mice/keyboards etc

Razer quality has been shit from the beginning. Their first mouse, the Razer Boomslang was a huge (literally massive) pile of shit. I've never been happy with any of their products I've tried for various reasons. Reliability being chief among them.

nah they have been quite good back in the day, i still have the origal razer viper and the diamondback, working quiet well with very little wear considering the amount of use they have gotten

Last edited:
Hype train currently is for the Pixart 3360 sensor. Nixeus Revel is something getting hyped as a light weight mouse with a basic shape sporting the sensor.

There has also been a new Logitech mouse that has been spotted in use by pro players they sponsor. It looks to use a more basic shape (unlike the rest of their line) and could have the Pixart 3366.

Personally I'm waiting for those two before making a new mouse decision.

I'd recommend the Logitech g502, it's roughly the same shape as a Deathadder and the build quality is very good. I regularly keep Logitech mice for 5+ years of heavy use. The stock price is rather high but they go on sale regularly. Logitech's mice make most other brands feel like knock-offs.

As a side note, I find Razer quality to be very inconsistent. Some of their devices are pretty good, like the Blackwidow keyboard I've had for more than 5 years without issue (it's not the ultimate, apparently those have an issue with keycap wear) or the Deathadders my sister replaces nearly yearly.

nah they have been quite good back in the day, i still have the origal razer viper and the diamondback, working quiet well with very little wear considering the amount of use they have gotten

I can't agree with this at all. Razer mice may have been better than the current ones at one point, but that doesn't change the fact that they were never the equal of Logitech or Microsoft mice in terms of quality. This has been true for the entire time Razer has existed.

I have used / am using both Razer and Logitech stuff. I've got a few purple diamondback chameleons (from years back) as well as a few original Logitech G700 (with the removable batter / removable USB charger cable + bluetooth).

Though not exactly an apples to apples comparison (since the razers are wired) all of the diamondbacks still get detected and work pefrectly fine across all of my different desktops and laptops, from the oldest to the newest. Both still work fine though I have lost one of the G700s to double clicking. Usually I can take them apart and give them a thorough cleaning and get them working again. Only one G700 has died permanently on me so far.

Yeah, ill never buiy razer again. Bought the bf3 special edition mouse and blackwidow keyboard, both died in about 6 months.

I currently own a Deathadder Chroma, Mamba Tournament Chroma, Mamba Chroma, and Naga Hex. And my favorite mouse? ... Logitech G502, haha. Yeah, it's a way better product.

As far as keyboards, I love the Corsair K70 with Reds. I modded it with rubber o-rings to cut down on bottoming out noise and it's amazing to game and type on. Wife loved it so much I bought her one and modded it for her birthday.
I recently bought a Razer Blackwidow Overwatch edition for no other reason than I love the game and wanted to use the in-game lighting effects it has through Chroma Apps. I know you don't look at the keyboard when gaming, but it's such a cool effect. I'm also a bit of a clicky keyboard lover, so I wanted to try the Razer Cherry blue clones. I actually like them better than Cherry blues.

Yeah i think im done with razer too. bad QA and then bad RMA/CS? after the stores return period is when problems arise, so if you dont fancy buying a new thing every 30 days stay away.

Logitech seems to have good QA and RMA, thats why i bought their keyboard to replace the Razer Widowwhatever ultimate

Never tried razr due to the cost vs quality reports. Of late, the Steelseries Sensei raw lasted 1.5 years of LoL before the right button went out. G400 (not s) - ditto on the lifetime, though not due to LoL. Currently on Rokkat Kone Pure. 6 months in, so far, so good.

All these cost less than 50 bucks on sale, so I'm good with paying 50 bucks every year and a half or so.

Razer has a long, long history of crap quality control.

Been real happy with my SteelSeries Sensei Raw (though I've only had it about 3 months so far).
But I'm not using tons of the alternate buttons. Mostly I bought it because it was the only thing with the general profile of the original MS Optical Mouse that I could get delivered after my last mouse croaked (after 5 years of every-day-all-day service).

Razer has a long, long history of crap quality control.

Been real happy with my SteelSeries Sensei Raw (though I've only had it about 3 months so far).
But I'm not using tons of the alternate buttons. Mostly I bought it because it was the only thing with the general profile of the original MS Optical Mouse that I could get delivered after my last mouse croaked (after 5 years of every-day-all-day service).

Which Microsoft mouse is that? If it was Explorer 3.0 you can still get them on newegg for just under $30.00.

Microsoft IntelliMouse Explorer 3.0 - Newegg.com

Never tried razr due to the cost vs quality reports. Of late, the Steelseries Sensei raw lasted 1.5 years of LoL before the right button went out. G400 (not s) - ditto on the lifetime, though not due to LoL. Currently on Rokkat Kone Pure. 6 months in, so far, so good.

All these cost less than 50 bucks on sale, so I'm good with paying 50 bucks every year and a half or so.

My mice never last more than 1-2 years before the left or right button goes out. I am not gentle on my mice. It's not on purpose. I just tend to mash the buttons really hard during hectic moments of gaming. Doesn't matter if it's SteelSeries, Logitech, or Razer.

i switched from razer deathadder to a Roccat XTD because Razer drivers required a internet connection! I love roccat they actually provide a linux driver!

I had a Razer keyboard go tits up on me a week after the 1 year warranty expired. I called Razer and they basically told me to I was SOL. I now stay far far away from any of their products.

I have a really old death adder and a newer one I got on clearance. Each has at least 2 years of solid usage and work fine. Worst complaint is the oldest one has some wear spots from my palm. I love my deathadders.

Which Microsoft mouse is that? If it was Explorer 3.0 you can still get them on newegg for just under $30.00.

Microsoft IntelliMouse Explorer 3.0 - Newegg.com

No, the more basic Optical Wheel Mouse.

414RQFYRVHL.jpg

The Intellimouse sits too high and gives me cramps in my palm and wrist.

Their customer service isn't the greatest, I've been a big fan of the deathadder though. Logitech has the best warranty/customer support from what I've experienced in gaming/keyboard mice products though.

Back