Razer DeathAdder vs. Logitech G9

Oh btw, to all deathadder owners, does you right click make a stronger click noise when you push it compared to left click? Or is it just because ive clicked on left too many times??? :D

im contemplating of buying a separate cheap mouse for browsing rather than shorten the lifespan of my deathadder.. its sooo expensive! :D

Oh btw, to all deathadder owners, does you right click make a stronger click noise when you push it compared to left click? Or is it just because ive clicked on left too many times??? :D

im contemplating of buying a separate cheap mouse for browsing rather than shorten the lifespan of my deathadder.. its sooo expensive! :D

Mine give identical clicks and it has been abused for months now.

in an unrelated note, i noticed when i went back to the lachesis mouse for a few days it introduced quite a bit of input lag into everything....
i have since gone back to the G9 and there is no input lag whatsoever.
weird i never noticed it before.

i got no such lag with the deathadder either. hmmm...

drivers perhaps

no, they were the latest drivers/firmware update off the website.
i've had the lachesis since the second day it came available.
definitely strange.
i didnt really notice in it in any games, mainly on the desktop

Mine give identical clicks and it has been abused for months now.

Ditto.

First version of the Deathadder (2) I had were garbage. Clicks were TOO sensitive/soft. Trashed 'em both. I bought one a year later on a good deal, and it's been smooth sailing ever since. Best mouse I've ever had.

you forgot to mention

squeaky noises from the scroll button. :D

Hopefully this will last me 3 years but at the rate im clicking the left click will be dead in under a year

you forgot to mention

squeaky noises from the scroll button. :D

Hopefully this will last me 3 years but at the rate im clicking the left click will be dead in under a year

This was true for the first 2 that I had. Both had crappy squeaky scroll wheels. But the one that I'm using doesn't have that at all.

thus the reason i held back from buying one till now... i have to say, best mouse ive ever handled :D

my bro has g15, my friend has habu, this mouse is the best :D

Currently using a G9 and my old Death Adder I've had for a year now. Sorry to ignite the debate again, but I STILL can't decide which I like better. Both have pro's and cons....

I just bought the DeathAdder last night. It is my first Razer mouse and after only a few hours of use I like it A LOT. I previously owned a G7 and a G9. The G9 performed great but the shape disagreed with me. My hand would hurt after a gaming session. This DeathAdder feels perfect I haven't played with it much yet but I doubt I'll be disappointed.

sigh, I love the mx518. It's the most comfortable mouse I've ever laid hands on. There is exactly one feature missing from it that I can barely live without, and thats a third side button. I just wish that it had the same side trigger functionality as the mx1000 (horrible, uncomfortable, wireless piece of crap), but alas...

actually now that I think about it, I sorta wish the mx518 had the tilt scroll wheel button functionality too....

come on logitech...bring out an mx518 with these functions :(

Get the DeathAdder, I had a G9 for a day and returned it. My DeathAdder is 2 years old and the only thing I have had to do is change the feet.

I am by far NOT a razer fanboy...

I had the Barracuda's and hated them, now I have the Plantronics GameComm 777 (USB Surround Sound) and love them.

I also own a G15 Keyboard.

But, all in all the DeathAdder is the most comfortable and percise mouse I have ever owned. And I have owned over 10 different mice.

You know, I'm starting to like the G9 better. It's more customizable, and I really like the extra weight I can add. I don't care about the color changing lights on it, but the button to have smooth or click scrolling is really handy. Once I figured out what that did I liked it a lot more.

Plus it has four more buttons than the Death Adder. This means that some games that have boring parts can be navigated one-handed leaving the other hand free to eat pizza or drink pepsi.

I still like the Death Adder, but it's worth it to have the extra buttons - the +/- DPI and the left/right scroll on the wheel. Lots more possibilities, and it's nice to have those in Photoshop too.

I've owned several Razer and Logitech mice (I had an original Boomslang) over the years, and the #1 selection criteria for me these days is the feel and comfort factor of the mouse.

All of the more serious mice offer on-the-fly sensitivity adjustments, programmable features, etc.

I can do without a few extra buttons. I can do without adjustable weights. What I cannot deal with is an uncomfortable mouse, be it 1000 dpi or 5 million dpi. If I am going to be gaming for an extended session, everything comes in second to comfort.

Now, if I can find a comfortable mouse that has all of the features I require, I win! For me, that mouse was unquestionably the DeathAdder.

YMMV.

Laser is still awful for low sens players. It still skips/freezes when using them. I'd suggest an optical mouse like the Logitech MX-518, Microsoft IntelliMouse 3.0/1.1, Razer Deathadder or the SteelSeries Ikari Optical. Unless you are a high sensitivity player (that does not require a lot of picking up and dragging the mice at high speeds), stay away from laser mice.

Figured it would be better to bring back this thread than open a new one

Which one of these mice is better for starcraft 2?

Man, it's always so weird to me seeing people gush over Razer mices. A few years back I got myself a Diamondback and a Copper head since they were both half price. After a month or two both developed the same problem: they'd stop working until you wriggled the cord at the mouse end a bit then if I moved it in a way it didn't like, it plonked out again. Maybe that was just a freak occurance, or did they previously have really bad build quality that they've since improved upon?

Edit: Didn't realise some of these replies were from 2008, oh well I'll leave this here since I am curious.

I personally love my Sidewinder X8. The G5 hurt my hand pretty bad, liked it in theory, just didn't in application. I've also had a Razer Lachesis and the fuggin thing's lazer died after 3 months, i was kinda pissed.

I hear good things about the G9, but have heard nothing negative about the deathadder. I think you should just decide what you "want" in this situation. If you'd like to get a G9, do it if it makes ya happy. Neither mice suck so you cant go wrong

Ive heard negatives for both the Deathadder and the G9x... of course there haters online though

I guess im just going to go with the G9x then.. hopefully it's a good choice for SC2 but I honestly have no use for all of the extra buttons

Ive heard negatives for both the Deathadder and the G9x... of course there haters online though

I guess im just going to go with the G9x then.. hopefully it's a good choice for SC2 but I honestly have no use for all of the extra buttons

The G9x is the mouse to have. I gained my lost edge back in UT2004 with it. It's the first Logitech mouse I've had since I switched over from the MX518 to the Copperhead.

As a matter of fact, you should only get the G9x with this grip. If you don't, I agree, the G9x will probably suck, because I can't hold it with the grips included. I had to buy this separately:

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Custom-Grip-Gaming-Mouse/dp/B002P8M6RK

When I bought the custom grip, it was $7.00. Since it's getting harder to find, they increased the price to $17.00!!! :eek:

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I've been using the G9 since it came out and just recently switched to the DeathAdder. The G9 wins in ergonomics but the DA tracks a lot better especially in twitch shooters (low-sensitivity player). I've always felt something was a little off with the G9 but kept using it cause I took a break from shooters until recently when I started playing BFBC2 and TF2 again. My only gripe with the DA is it can get slippery cause they use smooth plastic on the sides which sucks for thumb/finger grippers like me.

My favorite mouse was the Diamondback, which I still have in storage, but it was too slow once I made the transition from CRT to a 26" LCD. I'm very tempted to try out the Diamondback 3G, too bad I only found out about it after I purchased my DeathAdder :(.

I've been using the G9 since it came out and just recently switched to the DeathAdder. The G9 wins in ergonomics but the DA tracks a lot better especially in twitch shooters (low-sensitivity player). I've always felt something was a little off with the G9 but kept using it cause I took a break from shooters until recently when I started playing BFBC2 and TF2 again. My only gripe with the DA is it can get slippery cause they use smooth plastic on the sides which sucks for thumb/finger grippers like me.

My favorite mouse was the Diamondback, which I still have in storage, but it was too slow once I made the transition from CRT to a 26" LCD. I'm very tempted to try out the Diamondback 3G, too bad I only found out about it after I purchased my DeathAdder :(.

Well, consider the fact that the G9x has a better sensor than both the Deathadder, which I had for the better part of almost 2 years, and the G9. Paired with the right surface, it's unbeatable.

Well, consider the fact that the G9x has a better sensor than both the Deathadder, which I had for the better part of almost 2 years, and the G9. Paired with the right surface, it's unbeatable.

Sweet, didn't know they came out with a newer G9. I definitely prefer the G9 profile but the accuracy was lacking. I think I'll give the G9x a go since my DeathAdder is still within the return window and apparently the Diamondback 3G is impossible to get now.

What surface do you use? I'm using the Steelseries QcK cloth pad which I love. No more callouses and red marks on my right wrist after years of using hard pads :D.

I didn't even know they came out with a newer Deathadder. I still have 1st. gen Deathadder.

Sweet, didn't know they came out with a newer G9. I definitely prefer the G9 profile but the accuracy was lacking. I think I'll give the G9x a go since my DeathAdder is still within the return window and apparently the Diamondback 3G is impossible to get now.

What surface do you use? I'm using the Steelseries QcK cloth pad which I love. No more callouses and red marks on my right wrist after years of using hard pads :D.

I use the Steelseries 4D.

A word of caution. The G9x (and all new mice, for that matter, that use laser optics) are VERY picky about the surface they use. I figured this out the hard way. When I got my G9x, it tracked like shit and had a lift-off measurement of 8 CDs. :eek: That's right, EIGHT. I tried using my CD Hyde mousepad, as well as the Ratpadz. Nothing worked.

So I switched to the Steelseries 4D, which has a black, matte surface. This worked perfectly. The liftoff is at 1 CD, and it tracks perfectly.

Bottom line: do NOT use the G9x on ANY surface that reflects. I think cloth mousepads are fine, as long as they have no reflective surfaces.

I didn't even know they came out with a newer Deathadder. I still have 1st. gen Deathadder.

The newer Deathadder is crap. It uses a sensor that is even subpar to the first generation Deathadder.

My personal gaming weapon is the Logitech G9x. 5700 dpi is quite a satisfying experience.

My personal gaming weapon is the Logitech G9x. 5700 dpi is quite a satisfying experience.

I think I'd throw up playing FPS with that high of a dpi setting. I game at 1920x1200, windows mouse speed at default, mouse speed at default in driver settings, and 1800dpi. In TF2/L4D I play with an in-game mouse setting of 2 and in BFBC2 I use 0.40. I have it set up so I can aim accurately within 60 degrees of my fov, wrist flick to snap to 90 degrees to my left or right, and strafe key + wide flick to turn 180.

I think I'd throw up playing FPS with that high of a dpi setting. I game at 1920x1200, windows mouse speed at default, mouse speed at default in driver settings, and 1800dpi. In TF2/L4D I play with an in-game mouse setting of 2 and in BFBC2 I use 0.40. I have it set up so I can aim accurately within 60 degrees of my fov, wrist flick to snap to 90 degrees to my left or right, and strafe key + wide flick to turn 180.

I play single player FPSs with that dpi setting & I do just fine. Turning down the mouse sensitivity in-game to compensate works well enough.

I play single player FPSs with that dpi setting & I do just fine. Turning down the mouse sensitivity in-game to compensate works well enough.

Is there any benefit to playing with a super high dpi setting and extremely low in-game settings versus medium dpi settings and medium-low in-game settings? For example: 5700 dpi and 0.7 sensitivity in-game versus 1800dpi and 2.0 sensitivity in-game?

Go onto bestbuy.com or circuitcity.com and search for the G9 and use the tool to find whether it's in stock at any stores near you. Go there and buy it, and you can return it within 30 days, no questions asked for a full refund if you don't like it.

+ 1

you cant go wrong this way ;)

Back