Razer Blackwidow Ultimate quick review

I think it would be safe to assume if a person is buying a backlit keyboard they are getting it for aesthetics.

Ugh, if this keyboard was wireless I'd be so happy but I hate this wired connection. It fucks with my zen for my desk. I like it clean. Ha.

Meh.

What do you guys use the macros for? Anything? Or is it mainly just an unused feature?

Since I use it for work... M1 = MSTSC, M2 = Notepad, M3 = Calc and M5 I set to lock my PC.

I think it would be safe to assume if a person is buying a backlit keyboard they are getting it for aesthetics.

The blue goes nicely with my array of other Razer products. Also, yes. I bought the ultimate mostly because it lights up, I'm a pretty shallow when it comes to my peripherals.

I went on a crazy "need to have wireless" phase for a while. Ended up back with everything wired. No batteries, no charging... its kind of nice.

I really am enjoying this keyboard. I actually enjoy typing on it.

For those interested, here's a picture comparing the Black Widow Ultimate versus the Deck Legend at maximum brightness. In real life the Deck looks quite a bit brighter than the picture would have you believe.

rbwudl.jpg

Personally I love the Cherry Blues for typing, but haven't tried gaming yet. The font on the Razer looks way cooler than the Deck's fugly font (it looks like something you'd see on a cheap chinese take-out box), but the Razer font is very hard to read during general use. I wasn't expecting that at all! The macro keys on the left are also throwing my finger placement out and I can never find the Esc key easily. I'll get used to it. I think I'll only stick with the Razer because it looks nicer; the Deck overall is much more practical, despite looking like a plastic tank in comparison.

As expected the macro and media keys don't work through a KVM, but otherwise it works fine. Apparently if you update to the latest firmware there's a whole slew of new KVM issues ranging from missed keystrokes to endlessly repeating keystrokes. If you use a KVM it's probably better to leave it at stock as you can't downgrade.

Last edited:
I'm returning my Black Widow Ultimate. It's a decent keyboard overall, but I hate the Cherry MX Blues. Perhaps I press my keys far too hard, but I'm bottoming out almost every time. A few keys stick (leaving me turning left or strafing right after the key is let up, etc.), which drives me up a wall. The constant clack clack clack of typing 80-90+ WPM is annoying the crap out of me, let alone anyone else in the room. Finally, as others have said, the macro keys are throwing me off a bit. I actually really enjoy general typing on it and lost no speed or accuracy compared to my normal keyboard, but I have a hard time gaming.

I'm back to my scissor switch keyboard for the moment, and enjoying the quietness. Perhaps I'll give something with Cherry clears (or maybe even blacks) a shot at some point, but I'm not a fan of the font nor the key layout (especially the distance between the number row and the F keys) on Deck keyboards. If I'm going to pay $150+ for a keyboard, I'm going to get something that I'm 100% happy with.

Oh well. Back to scissor switches until someone makes the perfect keyboard (for me).

I'm returning my Black Widow Ultimate. It's a decent keyboard overall, but I hate the Cherry MX Blues. Perhaps I press my keys far too hard, but I'm bottoming out almost every time. A few keys stick (leaving me turning left or strafing right after the key is let up, etc.), which drives me up a wall. The constant clack clack clack of typing 80-90+ WPM is annoying the crap out of me, let alone anyone else in the room. Finally, as others have said, the macro keys are throwing me off a bit. I actually really enjoy general typing on it and lost no speed or accuracy compared to my normal keyboard, but I have a hard time gaming.

I'm back to my scissor switch keyboard for the moment, and enjoying the quietness. Perhaps I'll give something with Cherry clears (or maybe even blacks) a shot at some point, but I'm not a fan of the font nor the key layout (especially the distance between the number row and the F keys) on Deck keyboards. If I'm going to pay $150+ for a keyboard, I'm going to get something that I'm 100% happy with.

Oh well. Back to scissor switches until someone makes the perfect keyboard (for me).

What scissor switch keyboard are you using? I rather like the Cherry Blues in my blackwidow for typing, but they're a bit too loud for use at work, want to try a scissor switch keyboard that doesn't look like a laptop keyboard.

Well, I bit, I ordered one on Amazon. My Saitek Eclipse II Shift key and Spacebar are sticking occasionally and I can't live with that lol. Plus, I want to see what the whole mechanical thing is about. If I hate this, I am trying out the Deck Legend.

I had one sticky key on mine when i got it for the first week, after that it got worn in and hasnt stuck in 3 months

I have had various LED lit keyboards before from logitech like the G15 and G19. But I have never liked the bulkiness or the key action.

Razor has made the PERFECT keyboard here. It is the perfect size, wicked fonts, and the typing action is pure sex. The LED are the exact right brightness, not too bright or too dim.

It does nor have 8 different lcd screens on it or 20 different dials like the other overworked gaming keyboards. It is more a scandinavian minimalist design. Masculine, angular edges, very solid and well built.

I love it and will be keeping this one for an age.

It does nor have 8 different lcd screens on it or 20 different dials like the other overworked gaming keyboards. It is more a scandinavian minimalist design. Masculine, angular edges, very solid and well built.

It could use some dedicated volume buttons. Having to hold down the Fn key to change volume makes it difficult to impossible to turn the volume up and down with one hand. Either that or to be able to program the macro keys to change volume (I already tried, you can't program the macro keys to press function or change volume).

It could use some dedicated volume buttons. Having to hold down the Fn key to change volume makes it difficult to impossible to turn the volume up and down with one hand. Either that or to be able to program the macro keys to change volume (I already tried, you can't program the macro keys to press function or change volume).

Yeah true, this one was one suprising feature not included.

I bought my BW:U about a weak ago. Today I returned it and got a new one.
The first one had the issue where spacebar got stuck with ALT GR. The new one does not have that error. Although this one has a similar. The S and E buttons sort of collides. I guess they will ware down by time, but is it possible to remove the buttons and put them back and see if they'll hit the right spot and wont collid?

I feel like if I got this keyboard I'd miss the rather large palm rest that I have on the G15.. I see from the pics there's barely a palm rest at all.. why did they do that?

Because some people do not like palm rests. I have used keyboards with palm rests for many years, but when I went back to a Microsoft keyboard without a palm rest about 12 months ago I realised I prefered it.

I bought my BW:U about a weak ago. Today I returned it and got a new one.
The first one had the issue where spacebar got stuck with ALT GR. The new one does not have that error. Although this one has a similar. The S and E buttons sort of collides. I guess they will ware down by time, but is it possible to remove the buttons and put them back and see if they'll hit the right spot and wont collid?

Pull the key and sand the edge a bit. That should fix it.

I am having my VERY first problem with this keyboard, I am updating firmwrae from 1.07 to 1.08 to see if it gets fixed

Very recently keyboard is starting to be a litle random, licking caps vs non caps, random shift pressing, etc

Holy crap $130 for a Razer keyboard? I might as well buy a Filco or a Leopold Tenkeyless.

Holy crap $130 for a Razer keyboard? I might as well buy a Filco or a Leopold Tenkeyless.
I got the regular one for $60 and I prefer it to the 6gv2. The biggest problems for me are the stupid gloss, and the macro key placement. I align my hands by the left side of the keyboard, so the macro keys were throwing me off. Solution? Popping the key caps off.

I've never had a need for macro keys and they're banned in most of the games I play, plus I'm never going to install Razer's shitty drivers anyways.

I am having my VERY first problem with this keyboard, I am updating firmwrae from 1.07 to 1.08 to see if it gets fixed

Very recently keyboard is starting to be a litle random, licking caps vs non caps, random shift pressing, etc

Licking caps?

Ewwww.......

Back