• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Razer Blackwidow Ultimate quick review

Pawz2142

Limp Gawd
Joined
May 15, 2008
Messages
143
*******EDIT**********
There is NO change in USB speed when using the pass through.
There is NO change in sound quality or volume using the headset and mic jacks
***********************

First things you notice about this keyboard:
  • It's $130...ouch!
  • The step down model is $80...but doesn't have backlit keys or USB pass-through or headset jacks (it may or may not be worth it for you)
  • The only color for the keys is blue
  • It is not a full sized keyboard. It is much smaller than the line of Logitech’s
  • The keys are small but not uncomfortable.

After about an hour's use:
  • The keys feel really good, each click is the opposite of annoying as long as you're using The keyboard right, and not pounding it. These keys aren't ment to be bottomed out while typing.
  • Typing speed is greatly improved.
  • I don't miss the G15's useless screen.

Thoughts:
I haven’t' used the Headset jacks or the USB pass-through. I'll have to post later about them. After a few days of using the keyboard I have decided that the next keyboard I get will definitely be mechanical and have a faster action key. I hate blue but i like backlit keys but i hate the fading effect but there are diffrent modes

Worth the $130? yes. depending on if you really like the backlit keys that much :p
The normal one worth $80? yes.
Better than the Lycosa? YES! It makes the Lycosa look like a cheap toy.
Better than the G15? YES! Be it the original or not the Blackwidow skimpily outclasses
Better than the G19? YES! Considering there wasn't much change besides the color screen there really isn't much to say that wasn't be said about the G15.
Are there better mechanical keyboards out there? YeS! but you have to pay a pretty penny for them. The Blackwidow puts it's self in the middle of the crowd which is a vary good postion.

Comparing to the Steelseries again there isn't much to say. Sure they do a lot of things right but I still prefer the Blackwidow over the 7G or Shift.

All things considered I give this keyboard a 90/100

Just as a side note, I have tested 11 keyboards and have liked most of them in their own ways but would choose the Blackwidow above them all for everyday gaming and use. (4 Razer, 2 Steel Series, 5 logitech)
 
Last edited:
Great review. I would say the Blackwidow was nice except I had some difficulties with ghosting mainly around the 'F' key in-game.

I also felt that the Cherry blues were too light, but that's purely personal taste, I just happened to always bottom out the keys.

Would be nice to see a lot more of these reviews, I should consider writing a review of my own on some hardware.
 
Great review! gives us an idea what to expect.

I build custom joysticks and wonder what the mechanical life is on those cherry blues?
I've seen most cherry switches depending on their mechanism type have an average of 10 million mechianical cycles before failure. just wondering what the cherry blues are?

The blue lights are nice, but for some of us folks a simple white back-lit is needed. It would be even better if this keyboard could have an option for dual illumination (blue or white). I'm sure it can be done for a few pennies more

anybody... ... hows about a wireless version of this?

get those specs on the cherry blues, white backlit option, and wireless option would get my $$$ in heartbeat n I'm sure others would follow. again just my 2cents :D
 
get those specs on the cherry blues, white backlit option, and wireless option would get my $$$ in heartbeat n I'm sure others would follow. again just my 2cents :D

to answer the rest:
There are only blue backlit keys, sad i know. I like red myself.
No wireless option and as a gamer i couldn't care less.
More options would be nice but razer seems like they're having a hard time keeping up by offering what they have right now.
 
I agree that $130 was too pricey for the Ultimate. I picked up the standard version for just $56 from a Newegg sale. It's a great keyboard and I'm fully converted to Cherry Blues after only a couple of days. I'd like an illuminated mechanical, but only in white. I don't like blue or red backlighting. Deck doesn't make a Cherry Blue so I'm sticking with this Black Widow for now. One thing I've noticed on a couple of illuminated mechanical boards (Razer and XArmor) is that they need a 2nd USB connection to power the lights. Seems strange...
 
Great to hear! I'm hoping to find a Blackwidow Ultimate under the tree tomorrow. ;)
 
I agree that $130 was too pricey for the Ultimate. I picked up the standard version for just $56 from a Newegg sale. It's a great keyboard and I'm fully converted to Cherry Blues after only a couple of days. I'd like an illuminated mechanical, but only in white. I don't like blue or red backlighting. Deck doesn't make a Cherry Blue so I'm sticking with this Black Widow for now. One thing I've noticed on a couple of illuminated mechanical boards (Razer and XArmor) is that they need a 2nd USB connection to power the lights. Seems strange...

My Deck operates off PS/2 which powers everything. Since you wanted the blue switches then Deck isn't an option.
Still consider the tactile version in the future.
 
My Deck operates off PS/2 which powers everything. Since you wanted the blue switches then Deck isn't an option.
Still consider the tactile version in the future.
Are the Deck's tactile switches as stiff as the Cherry Blacks?
 
Are the Deck's tactile switches as stiff as the Cherry Blacks?

Decks either have Cherry clears or Cherry Blacks. The Cherry clears are 55g compared to the 60g for the blacks. Cherry clears are tactile while the blacks are linear.
 
$130 for a Razer? Wow

For $20-30 more just buy a Deck Keyboard. Score 100/100

There's a big difference between a Deck and the Blackwidow.

Different Cherry MX switches (Deck: black or clear vs. Blackwidow: blue)
There are no function keys on the Deck
There are no programmable keys on the Deck
There is no USB pass-through on the Deck
There is no Headset jack or mic jack on the Deck
Keys are placed differently, I personally believe that the blackwidow's setup is superior
Deck runs off a PS2, Blackwidow runs off a USB (this is why the blackwidow is able to have the function keys.)
The Deck had full N-key Rollover, The blackwidow has a decent matrix of its own, I’ve tested it successfully up to 6 keys
 
Last edited:
My IBM Model M and my recently acquired DealExtreme $18 Mini Scissorswitch keyboard can do up to 8 keys without rollover, even on USB.
CTRL-ALT-SPACEBAR-SHIFT-Z-X-C-V
5294131403_514cfa3764_z.jpg


The BlackWidow will crap out on ZXC.

I'm just saying, "UP TO X key rollover" doesn't mean anything. But it does seem Razer improved on their "Gaming Optimized" layout over the Lycossa. Nobody ever presses ZXC in a game.
 
My G19 has been acting retarded lately and despite calling Logitech two times trying to get them to RMA I never received the shipping label they supposedly sent twice so...

I now own the Blackwidow Ultimate. I've only had it about two hours but I love it so far. I haven't messed with the macro keys yet but I'm about to since I play a lot of EQ2.

Typing on it though is a dream, I really love how the mechanical keys feel. I kind of wish it had more of a wrist rest but so far it hasn't been an issue. We'll see how I feel after I've owned it a bit longer.
 
I'm so lucky that I got my blackwidow ultimate for $103 but it definitely would have been worth the $130. The cherry mx blue switches are so nice to type on and they are rated to 50,000,000 presses.
 
I played around with one at CES last week. I've hated on Razer products a lot given how much they've disappointed me in the past. The Lycosa was maybe the worst qualitykeyboard I've ever used. That said, the Blackwidow is really really nice. I only wish they had used mechanical switches in the Starcraft 2 keybaords. I tested between the two and I'd forgotten how horrible membrane keyboards are to use. :)

I asked one of the people there why they didn't put Cherry blues in the Starcraft 2 keyboard and they said that product development on the Blackwidow started long after Starcraft 2, but if they had a choice they'd have put mechanical switches in the SC2 keyboard as well.

Too bad it didn't work out that way. If there is any gaming genre where mechanical switches help out it, it is RTS.
 
Nice review! I'm losing interest in my G15 and looking for a keyboard with more of a responsive touch and this looks like it could be the one.
 
Nice review! I'm losing interest in my G15 and looking for a keyboard with more of a responsive touch and this looks like it could be the one.

I got this keyboard at about 2pm one day and then at about 5pm I put my G15 on another computer and got it all set up and in only 3 hours of using the Blackwidow, I couldn't stand typing on the G15, the keys just felt so horribly mushy and just bleh. Its one of the best computer parts I've ever bought.
 
I got this keyboard at about 2pm one day and then at about 5pm I put my G15 on another computer and got it all set up and in only 3 hours of using the Blackwidow, I couldn't stand typing on the G15, the keys just felt so horribly mushy and just bleh. Its one of the best computer parts I've ever bought.

Yup, believe the hype. Membrane keyboards are garbage.
 
So I got my blackwidow ultimate before work today but didn't have time to install it but when I came home I did the excited unboxing and plugging it in and getting everything setup. It's louder than I was expecting but it's not crazy loud in comparison to the Logitech g15 I still end up bottoming out all the keys but as I type on it more I can tell I'm going to like it more and more. The keys register when I am typing very quickly but I have noticed I'm making some mistakes with it, I think it's just getting used to the keyboard and once I get the proper finger placement for it I'll be good (I don't use the home row keys).

On that note it is quite a bit heavier than the G15 and is much brighter. I was hoping I could put it on the highest brightness but it's a little distracting that high! Not having a wrist wrest is a little different but it will cause me to type a little faster as my hands aren't as lazy!

I love it and it is definitely worth the money.

I would also like to add a little note.. I love the font used on the keyboard and I honestly enjoy the placement of the shift keys under the numbers, they are quite a bit bigger than when placed above so they are quite easy to see even in the dark.
 
Last edited:
I received it for XMAS. I have been using it since (for gaming) and been pretty happy with it. The only negative I can give it is the numbers keys. The numbers are back-lite but not the symbols. Not a huge issue just would have been nice to see them when typing passwords in the dark.
 
Just got mine as well, I love typing on this keyboard. It was a toss up between the Steelseries mechanical keyboard and the Blackwidow. I don't miss the G15's LCD screen anymore since Vent has an overlay on whose talking when gaming. The only gripe I have at the moment is that there are two separate system tray icons for the keyboard (Blackwidow) and mouse (Deathadder) I don't use windows only drivers since I use 900 DPI /500 polling rate.
 
Just got mine as well, I love typing on this keyboard. It was a toss up between the Steelseries mechanical keyboard and the Blackwidow. I don't miss the G15's LCD screen anymore since Vent has an overlay on whose talking when gaming. The only gripe I have at the moment is that there are two separate system tray icons for the keyboard (Blackwidow) and mouse (Deathadder) I don't use windows only drivers since I use 900 DPI /500 polling rate.

Yes! I wish they would fix that and put it together in one system tray icon!
 
I got this keyboard at about 2pm one day and then at about 5pm I put my G15 on another computer and got it all set up and in only 3 hours of using the Blackwidow, I couldn't stand typing on the G15, the keys just felt so horribly mushy and just bleh. Its one of the best computer parts I've ever bought.

Yup, believe the hype. Membrane keyboards are garbage.

Just got back from picking up a new Blackwidow Ultimate, again thanks for this review! Build quality alone is impressive. Will set it up tomorrow morning and start gaming, really looking forward to it.

Question though. I downloaded the newest Firmware 1.04 and Windows Driver 1.02. So should I install the drivers first than update the firmware, or other way around?
Thanks
 
There's a big difference between a Deck and the Blackwidow.

Different Cherry MX switches (Deck: black or clear vs. Blackwidow: blue)
There are no function keys on the Deck
There are no programmable keys on the Deck
There is no USB pass-through on the Deck
There is no Headset jack or mic jack on the Deck
Keys are placed differently, I personally believe that the blackwidow's setup is superior
Deck runs off a PS2, Blackwidow runs off a USB (this is why the blackwidow is able to have the function keys.)
The Deck had full N-key Rollover, The blackwidow has a decent matrix of its own, I’ve tested it successfully up to 6 keys

I don't use any of those functions the BlackWidow has and most keyboard purist doesn't either. The Filco, Das and HHK are standard boards also.
The BlackWidow is a good transition board for those who are accustomed to using gaming keyboards like the G15/19.
Cherry blues has always been rated the lowest for gaming.
 
There's such thing as a keyboard purist? I mean I can understand wanting the standard 82 keys to be a certain way and all, but if that's good to go then extra features only add functionality, with no real downside. I guess you probably mean that the feel of the standard buttons outweighs all other aspects of a keyboard, but I'd say take that ideal keyboard, and add some glowy keys and usb ports. :p

Anyways, you are saying that it's bad to bottom out. Is that applicable to gaming too? When the action gets heated I tend to spam pretty hard on my keyboard and it would be a hard habit to break. Other than that, I'd love to own this keyboard.
 
There's such thing as a keyboard purist?

There are people who collect mechanical keyboards. Geekhack.org has plently of diehard fans.
USB, headphone/mic jacks etc. are features carried over from gaming boards.
Razer is a gaming focused company so it's expected to see those features on their boards.

Diversity is good, nothing bad about Razer entering the market.
 
I don't see bottoming out while gaming as bad, I do it all the time.
 
Even some keyboard purists like glowy keys.

ClickClack prototype keys on a RealForce 87U
5357221129_fe34762e5a_z.jpg
 
Just got back from picking up a new Blackwidow Ultimate, again thanks for this review! Build quality alone is impressive. Will set it up tomorrow morning and start gaming, really looking forward to it.

Question though. I downloaded the newest Firmware 1.04 and Windows Driver 1.02. So should I install the drivers first than update the firmware, or other way around?
Thanks

Drivers first, I know for their mice if you attempt to install firmware first. Youll be prompted to install drivers first
 
Thanks, Sixth. Installed like a champ and I'm aboslutely loving it so far, especially compared to the G15. Havn't messed with the firmware update as of yet since zero issues. This is my first mechanical gaming keyboard, and I'm kicking myself for waiting this long before getting one.
 
I still don't understand why they would put blue switches in a "gaming" keyboard, I would rather go with a steelseries 6gv2 because of the black switches.
 
I still don't understand why they would put blue switches in a "gaming" keyboard, I would rather go with a steelseries 6gv2 because of the black switches.

I don't see it as a bad thing, gives people another option if they don't like black switches since Filcos aren't easy to get a hold of right now.
 
I think the reason why you made a review is, so that you have something to type on with your new keyboard lol
 
I don't see it as a bad thing, gives people another option if they don't like black switches since Filcos aren't easy to get a hold of right now.

Yeah this is totally true but at the same time I thought blue's were fine for gaming though then I tried the black's and really prefer the latter. Really silly that they would market this as a gaming keyboard when it's really better for prolonged typing. Now if they had brown switches that would be great because you get the best of all worlds (well sort of)
 
Back
Top