Raw Pixel Rate

SamirD

Supreme [H]ardness
I usually use the techpowerup gpu database when comparing different gpus, primarily comparing the pixel rate since I'm not using gpus for gaming or anything that will make too much use of the texture rate (unless browsers are getting smart about that now).

And there's a limit to driver support for my application beyond a certain generation of cards, so I was looking at that as a ceiling for what cards I could use until it dawned on me--do drivers really matter when the raw pixel rate is just super-fast anyways?

Here's an example:
GTX 770 - 34.72 GPixel/s and has driver support in my application:
https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/geforce-gtx-770.c1856
vs
GTX 1060 3GB - 81.98 GPixel/s but no driver support
https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/geforce-gtx-1060-3-gb.c2867

Between these two cards in the same hardware setup, my instinct says that the 1060 would be much faster even without drivers for drawing general computing stuff on the screen. Or am I way off base here? Thoughts?

Not really sure what you aim is here. For gaming purposes the 1060 is going to kill the 770. Give the age of the 770 I don't see the point in picking one up unless there is a very specific reason and that reason isn't going to be gaming.

Well, if you were to pony up the $1300 or so for a new 2080Ti, you'd have 10 gigarays at your disposal. (Whatever the hell that would get you...)

Seriously though, you sort of left out the OS you are using, your specific use case (what app and how you want to use it), and why the hell you'd want to consider employing a nearly 5+ year old GPU with it. That's like seriously ancient when it comes to GPUs... may as well also include an abacus in your little trade study/eval for good measure. :)

Not really sure what you aim is here. For gaming purposes the 1060 is going to kill the 770. Give the age of the 770 I don't see the point in picking one up unless there is a very specific reason and that reason isn't going to be gaming.
I should have mentioned that this isn't for gaming at all. It's for some dedicated machines that are just pdf viewers. There's no real 'drivers' in the os per se for anything newer than the 770 and maybe 900 series (haven't checked), so I know the 10xx series wouldn't have any support. But if the hardware is going to be pushing out the pixels that fast anyways, the question is would drivers even matter.

Well, if you were to pony up the $1300 or so for a new 2080Ti, you'd have 10 gigarays at your disposal. (Whatever the hell that would get you...)

Seriously though, you sort of left out the OS you are using, your specific use case (what app and how you want to use it), and why the hell you'd want to consider employing a nearly 5+ year old GPU with it. That's like seriously ancient when it comes to GPUs... may as well also include an abacus in your little trade study/eval for good measure. :)
OS is proprietary and old as well so hence the older gpus that have some driver support and why 10xx don't.

And you actually bring up a good point with an example like the 2080Ti, which pumps out 136.0 GPixel/s--a good 4x the 770. The question is would this be the case sans drivers or do drivers enable some (or a lot) of a card's ability to render just basic pixels on the screen (not textures).

Back