Rate my Build!

Fuzzy Logik

[H]ard|Gawd
mB2ASJG.png

Heard lot's of good things about these Sager gaming laptops you can build. This is for the wife.

Here are her requirements:

• It must be a laptop, it cannot be a desktop
  • The only thing this laptop will do is play World of Warcraft, that's it.

So, I don't expect Ultra settings on this thing, I just want them to at least by Good/High and not have her FPS drop like crazy in popular areas and during raiding. With the latest WoW patch 5.4, she is having severe frame rate issues during the Celestial Arena thing.

The concerns I have are:
  • The Crucial SSD, I read some poor reviews on earlier models that only lasted 2 years. Though others debate that. It doesn't need to be that large, it will literally only contain WoW - no music, movies, etc.
  • The 8GB of memory should be enough, granted it's $80 to go to 16GB but if all it's doing is playing WoW - 8GB is more than enough for the foreseeable future.
  • The CPU and GPU should be more than enough, upgrading those is very expensive and just for WoW, I don't see the necessity.

These concerns could be unfounded and that is why I am here, thank in advance! ;)

To address your concerns:
1) With the older Crucial SSDs, all people had to do was update their firmware. I'm fairly sure that's probably what lead to many reports of Crucial SSDs' short life.
2) 8GB of RAM should be enough. However, if you have money to burn, then I would go for 16GB of RAM anyway since RAM prices are going up.
3) If within budget, I actually would upgrade the video card as much as possible. It's next to impossible to upgrade a laptop's video card for a reasonable price. Also, who knows if your wife may change what games she might play.

Also, why a laptop?

To address your concerns:
1) With the older Crucial SSDs, all people had to do was update their firmware. I'm fairly sure that's probably what lead to many reports of Crucial SSDs' short life.
2) 8GB of RAM should be enough. However, if you have money to burn, then I would go for 16GB of RAM anyway since RAM prices are going up.
3) If within budget, I actually would upgrade the video card as much as possible. It's next to impossible to upgrade a laptop's video card for a reasonable price. Also, who knows if your wife may change what games she might play.

Also, why a laptop?

She has an iMac that she plays WoW on already, she uses a Asus G73jh that's a few years old that "isn't cutting it anymore", for raiding while laying on the couch watching her crap reality TV show.... I know bro, I know... #1stWorldProblems

Oh one more thing: Does she really need an optical drive? If she doesn't or if you have an external DVD drive, then I recommend swapping out the DVD drive for a hard drive caddy in the optical bay. USB 2.0 is more than enough for DVD speeds whereas having a second hard drive that's directly connected to the laptop would be significantly faster than an external drive.

Back