Raspberry Pi NES Classic Console Nintendo Should Have Made

Since the cartridges are just NFC stickers in 3D printed covers that would mean that Nintendo would've had to ship 30 mini cartridges that don't really do anything except provide that retro tactile experience with every system. So I can see why they didn't go that route.

It's cool though. I'd consider building my own with my own game library.

That's pretty slick, but it's well beyond my ability. I'll just pick up the one that Nintendo is making.

Nah, they could've shipped 10 games bundles on one mini cart, providing 3 at launch and more to come...

I like it....buuut....the controller is so small.....how the heck can you play any games on that??? Yech.....

Nah, they could've shipped 10 games bundles on one mini cart, providing 3 at launch and more to come...

Not the way this is designed. The carts are just NFC tags. They don't have the game data on them. The data is stored on the SDcard in the pi. The emulator reads the NFC tag & loads the appropriate game files from the SDcard. If you released something like this there wouldn't be "more to come". You'd have to ship a whole new system. And if you're going to do that you might as well just skip the carts anyway because they don't actually do anything.

Yeah, that's super cool and exactly what I would've preferred the mini-NES to be like. Having one of those cartridges contain 10 or so games on them would be really neat. They could have a similar theme (sports pack, Capcom pack, etc).

Since the cartridges are just NFC stickers in 3D printed covers that would mean that Nintendo would've had to ship 30 mini cartridges that don't really do anything except provide that retro tactile experience with every system. So I can see why they didn't go that route.

It's cool though. I'd consider building my own with my own game library.

1 cart with 30 games, sell additional carts with 10, 20 or 30 more games each. Major missed opportunity for Nintendo if they made a mini console without any way to sell further titles for it.

If you released something like this there wouldn't be "more to come". You'd have to ship a whole new system.
The tag could unlock more than 1 game, that's all I was saying. All the games are pre-installed, or are automatically downloaded online if needed, or many other dozens of ideas that take 2 brain cells to think of that would be vastly superior to a closed 30-game system...

You could just take any PC and install RetroArch and download NES roms from you favorite warz site. They're not large games. About 5MB for 30 games.

1 cart with 30 games, sell additional carts with 10, 20 or 30 more games each. Major missed opportunity for Nintendo if they made a mini console without any way to sell further titles for it.
Why go through all the trouble of making carts when you could just download them.

They should have just made it so it had a game store where you could buy official copies for the console of games for like $.99 or $1.99 (downloaded to the console). Made some money off their old catalog. When the price is that low, you tend to get a lot of sales from people who otherwise wouldn't have bought.

I'm sure the market wouldn't mind official ways to play these games that have been properly tested to work 100% on the hardware.

this is amazing.
how long did this guy work to get it all done.
4 thumbs up to him

Reactions: Youn
like this
Why go through all the trouble of making carts when you could just download them.

Slot vs Wifi or Ethernet module. It wouldn't be $60 anymore with connectivity.

Slot vs Wifi or Ethernet module. It wouldn't be $60 anymore with connectivity.

How about a card reader? They could reuse the tech from the 3DS (or realistically even the DS). That wouldn't add more than a few bucks.

Emulators, especially on low end hardware, are imperfect and are just a work-around for when you don't have the actual hardware. Why would Nintendo want to use an emulator for a hardware device when it could build the actual hardware device and make it as perfectly compatible as possible?

Pretty cool, that totally reeks of effort.

The tiny little cartridges are kind of neat but serve no real purpose. When I saw that tiny controller, my first thought was I WANT ONE but then I saw him use it, it's just too tiny.

From a project point of view it is stunning. Very good detail and the cartridges are cool as hell.

From a point of view that Nintendo should have done the same I do not agree with, the cartridges are essentially useless.

But extremely cool from a "doing it" perspective. That controller though.

Reactions: Youn
like this
Back