Raspberry Pi is shipping!!!

I've been wanting one of these devices to develop encryption protocols and see how I can incorporate them into a work environment. I had a couple of ideas including making a random generator machine out of them (using a diode of some time to read some random analog input.)

Glad you guys are having fun with them.

Just got an email from RS Online inviting me to order one. Just did. Can't wait till it gets here, but it doesn't look like it will ship until later next week.

Came out to $43.02 after shipping.

well its rated to be as fast as an old intel PIII, so you can compare it to that.

Yeah, Farnell has just shipped my pi and I ordered it in February on that release night! UPS form the UK, heres to hoping it doesn't get lost over the Atlantic.

I have been wanting to get one but they seem to be back ordered for atleast a month. I think im going to just wait till they are up in stock.

Wowzers just got a shipping notice from Newark/Element14. This is a couple weeks before I was expecting. Still need to buy a power supply (I own no smart phones, kindles, etc.).

Wowzers just got a shipping notice from Newark/Element14. This is a couple weeks before I was expecting. Still need to buy a power supply (I own no smart phones, kindles, etc.).

Let me know where you pick one up at...this has been a confusing concept for me yet as to why they do not sell them.

I was just charged $50.75 by Newark, I am assuming it is for this,but $15.75 seems a little excessive for shipping a tiny circuit board...

ultratryon, contact Newark and see what they'll do. This whole small order thing appears to be new to these companies.

From my invoice:
Your Merchandise Total $35.00

Your Freight Total $5.00
Your Tax Total $2.91
Your Invoice Total $42.91

Maximus825, thanks for the link to the Amazon Basics charger. At first glance that appears to be a good option. The other one I was considering was from Adafruit. Someone on the Raspberry Pi forums had linked to that.

I'll also need to get a cable and an hdmi to DVI adapter. The total price goes up quickly :eek:.

So, Newark says that they do a pre-authorization amount that is higher than the actual charge. I am not really sure why they would do that, but that is neither here nor there.

It looks like mine shipped today, and has the $5 shipping charge. I am not sure about tax, as the invoice will not post until tomorrow.

rpi1.jpg

Time to get started...

I'd buy one if Raspberry-Pi included a SATA controller and they packaged it in a small case with room for an optional 2.5" hard drive. =/

I see your point but unfortunately that would defeat the purpose of what they are or at least were trying to accomplish by bringing the price tag a little higher.

My initial order was for 3 Pis, the first came last week and two more should be here Friday :)

526165_4047892046828_349172248_n.jpg

Had it for over a week now. pretty much done with the Debian distro, going to try fedora pretty soon then move to the openbsd once they work on it.

Any other comments, engadget blasted it in their review.

" In fact, simply launching Engadget was enough to pin the CPU and bring the OS to a standstill for at least a few minutes."

How are you supposed to develop on that? You can get a 35 dollar PC on craigslist that will load their website.

" In fact, simply launching Engadget was enough to pin the CPU and bring the OS to a standstill for at least a few minutes."

How are you supposed to develop on that? You can get a 35 dollar PC on craigslist that will load their website.

Have you tried to load engadget on a slower machine like a smartphone or a lower-end tablet? It's not a quick-loading website. Twitter/engadget feeds, RSS, long page, lots of images, etc. Try loading the full version of engadget on your smartphone.

I've got a Pentium 4 box here with Win7 on it - you should try using it. It's kind of the same experience (OK, a P4 is faster).

And yes, the Pentium 4 box cost me $15 - and it also weighs like 10 lbs and sucks 200 watts or so.

I could say the same thing about a smartphone...why spend $300-$600 for a device that is slower than my $15 Pentium 4 box?

Have you tried to load engadget on a slower machine like a smartphone or a lower-end tablet? It's not a quick-loading website. Twitter/engadget feeds, RSS, long page, lots of images, etc. Try loading the full version of engadget on your smartphone.

I've got a Pentium 4 box here with Win7 on it - you should try using it. It's kind of the same experience (OK, a P4 is faster).

And yes, the Pentium 4 box cost me $15 - and it also weighs like 10 lbs and sucks 200 watts or so.

I could say the same thing about a smartphone...why spend $300-$600 for a device that is slower than my $15 Pentium 4 box?

http://www.engadget.com/2012/06/12/via-technologies-apc-up-for-pre-order-ships-in-july/

Seems better in every way. Now, if the Pi was the motivation for VIA to design such a board, then they definitely deserve some credit.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/06/12/via-technologies-apc-up-for-pre-order-ships-in-july/

Seems better in every way. Now, if the Pi was the motivation for VIA to design such a board, then they definitely deserve some credit.

The GPU is weaker (limited to 720p vs 1080p on the Pi) although that one has more RAM. Trade-offs. I'll take the Pi for 1080p. Waiting so I can use it as a secondary XBMC box upstairs. Still haven't seen something better for the price (and the Pi is for a good cause also).

The GPU is weaker (limited to 720p vs 1080p on the Pi) although that one has more RAM. Trade-offs. I'll take the Pi for 1080p. Waiting so I can use it as a secondary XBMC box upstairs. Still haven't seen something better for the price (and the Pi is for a good cause also).

Apparently they work pretty good for xbmc... it's everything else

I'd buy one if Raspberry-Pi included a SATA controller and they packaged it in a small case with room for an optional 2.5" hard drive. =/

Then the price would go up, and sata isn't needed for this. It you need to use a sata hard drive just get a external inclosure (i know the sata speeds arent there but still). I was thinking about modding my sega genesis 3 (tiny lil bastard) or even a old broken 3DO i have and putting one of these guys in it. Thats the nice thing about the small size of it you can case mod pretty much anything.

How fast is the usb ports on this compared to a "real" sata connection? I never read much into it I just know that usb 3.0 is supposed to be very fast in comparison to 2.0

Got mine and tried the Debian image you can download but it fires up a Kernel Panic straight away but once that is all sorted and working I am sure it will make an awesome little firewall :D

Is there any ARM based, Ubuntu running, already in a case and ready to deploy? All I see are bare PCB based systems. I would like something more than a 800Mhz single core system.

Thx

Is there any ARM based, Ubuntu running, already in a case and ready to deploy? All I see are bare PCB based systems. I would like something more than a 800Mhz single core system.

Thx

you fail to grasp what this is all about.

As far as Ubunutu goes, there was rumor to eventually make one but, there is a Debian distro out so it's close enough.

The Raspberry pi doesn't even have there educational demo units out yet. Those aren't expected till q4/q1 2013.

Once system code optimizations have improved 700 mhz will be a lot to work with. These have been out for about 3 months. All Dev work is done by people with there free time. So if you want a distro to come out faster hit their forums and start coding and compiling or else wait like everyone else.

For cases, check ebay or shapeways. They have some cases that you can get 3d printed for you. but they run fine on a desk. I set mine on a static bag and run it that way when im playing with it.

you fail to grasp what this is all about.

As far as Ubunutu goes, there was rumor to eventually make one but, there is a Debian distro out so it's close enough.

The Raspberry pi doesn't even have there educational demo units out yet. Those aren't expected till q4/q1 2013.

Once system code optimizations have improved 700 mhz will be a lot to work with. These have been out for about 3 months. All Dev work is done by people with there free time. So if you want a distro to come out faster hit their forums and start coding and compiling or else wait like everyone else.

For cases, check ebay or shapeways. They have some cases that you can get 3d printed for you. but they run fine on a desk. I set mine on a static bag and run it that way when im playing with it.

I understand that it's a fragmented market and once a profit seeking enterprise gets involved it will speed up (like it always does, It took Apple to put a *nix on the desktop).

Looking at some of the prepackaged Droid and Genesi stuff also.

Back