• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Raspberry Pi - a $25 PC

I'm not familiar with any smart phone that comes anywhere close to 25$ without a contract, please share.

I don't think I said it was 25$ or without a contract?

http://www.motorola.com/Consumers/U...cking-Stations/Lapdock-for-DROID-Bionic-US-EN

You can get this for, shocker, more than 25$, its mobile, has more power, and does everything better.

The fact of the matter is, that even at 25$, there is a very limited market for the raspberry. The use that I would see would be a thin client and not much else if you are a productive member of society, or any business for that matter.
 
I'm not familiar with any smart phone that comes anywhere close to 25$ without a contract, please share.

You could pick up a Virgin Mobile Optimus V for about $100. Maybe an old bad-ESN Droid for under $100. $25 would be pretty tough.

I'd take a Pi anyway. More fun!
 
I don't think I said it was 25$ or without a contract?
I'm sorry, I thought you were pointing out something that the raspberry competes with, and so I assumed we were talking in the same price range. Yeah, definitely not a large majority of people will have a use for the raspberry, but I'm sure there's many people, none the less, that will find eccentric uses for them.
 
You could pick up a Virgin Mobile Optimus V for about $100. Maybe an old bad-ESN Droid for under $100. $25 would be pretty tough.

I'd take a Pi anyway. More fun!

you can get a recert droid for 59.95 closer but not quite there...
 
you can get a recert droid for 59.95 closer but not quite there...
Is that before or after the new contract discount? :rolleyes:

Anywho, I think this looks really interesting, especially for those of us with experience in the Car PC world. I want one.
 
that is free and clear no contract... http://www.cowboom.com/deal-of-the-day.cfm for a few minutes yet

Nope. $200+.

Broadcom VideoCore IV is supposedly better than SGX535, plus Broadcom will be releasing API so one can interface with the hardware. Raspberry Pi is about hands on.
Last time I checked Android devices typically didn't have any GPIO for I2C, SPI, bit-banging... damn.


I don't think I said it was 25$ or without a contract?

http://www.motorola.com/Consumers/U...cking-Stations/Lapdock-for-DROID-Bionic-US-EN

You can get this for, shocker, more than 25$, its mobile, has more power, and does everything better.

The fact of the matter is, that even at 25$, there is a very limited market for the raspberry. The use that I would see would be a thin client and not much else if you are a productive member of society, or any business for that matter.

Good luck with that :p

Are you slow? That is a docking station. Not a telephone or computer of any type.

Strange, because a majority of the world's work is done like this:

vimgtkcomplete.png


Either through an ssh session or in the case of Big Blue, a 3270 emulator (typically PCOMM). Don't take my word for it, though. Just ask all the 30+ers at IBM I was working with. ;)
 
Nope. $200+.

Broadcom VideoCore IV is supposedly better than SGX535, plus Broadcom will be releasing API so one can interface with the hardware. Raspberry Pi is about hands on.
Last time I checked Android devices typically didn't have any GPIO for I2C, SPI, bit-banging... damn.
well before midnight it was 59 and it was the droid deal of the day all day on the 18th now it is the iphone 4 and it is 274...
 
well before midnight it was 59 and it was the droid deal of the day all day on the 18th now it is the iphone 4 and it is 274...

Okay, they could leave an iPhone in a bar and that really wouldn't change anything.

Can iPhone/Android decode h264 at 1080p?
Play Quake III at 1920x1080?
Support Qt5 running with OpenGL ES2?

Yeah, there is no GSM modem or wireless, but that is severely missing the point of what this machine is. Smartphones are for mindless drone consumers. A device like this is for people who want to tinker, write code, and actually learn about the underlying things.

If you wanted to compare, it would be more fair to compare Raspberry Pi to AppleTV or whatever.
 
Very creative and super innovative! I love it.

The problem is, this is the same type of chip the first android phones kind of used..... you are looking at pretty shit performance for a basic "PC"

I see: no more than 5 tabs open in your web for basic webpages, and if video playing on any tab it would bog it completely down and almost lock up/chop

Good it has 1080p compatibility, but I won't believe it until I see it REAL WORLD on a true 1080p display (not cherry picked stuff made in a video, by the company selling it of course)
 
Strange, because a majority of the world's work is done like this:

http://goodluckmakingrent.com/images/vimgtkcomplete.png

Either through an ssh session or in the case of Big Blue, a 3270 emulator (typically PCOMM). Don't take my word for it, though. Just ask all the 30+ers at IBM I was working with. ;)

Maybe if you work software/coding. A very small minority of people work in software/coding.

I agree that most clients out there are overkill for what most people do today, but unless this raspberry pi can get some more storage space and ram, and we get ARM versions of Windows, MS Office, various CAD/ mechanical design implementations (autocad, solidworks, Pro/Engineer, Pro/Mechanica) various documentation software (Quark, Acrobat, Adobe In design).

It would also need to be able to run Citrix clients, that's how most enterprises distribute their business applications, in addition to IE6 specific web apps. So it would have to be able to run IE6 as well. (a huge portion of web apps are IE6 specific, barely work on IE7, and don't work outside of these two browsers at all)

I'm thinking that a $100 - $150 version of this device may do the trick. More RAM, some real desktop storage , Windows 8 ARM compatibility, if - and only if - the apps above are somehow ported to run on the ARM architecture.

SSH is great. I love it, but the truth is that its implementation is very limited outside the software programming, IT department, and home linux nerd applications.

In its existing form it simply would not work for business purposes today
 
Zarathustra[H];1037903184 said:
Maybe if you work software/coding. A very small minority of people work in software/coding.

I agree that most clients out there are overkill for what most people do today, but unless this raspberry pi can get some more storage space and ram, and we get ARM versions of Windows, MS Office, various CAD/ mechanical design implementations (autocad, solidworks, Pro/Engineer, Pro/Mechanica) various documentation software (Quark, Acrobat, Adobe In design).

It would also need to be able to run Citrix clients, that's how most enterprises distribute their business applications, in addition to IE6 specific web apps. So it would have to be able to run IE6 as well. (a huge portion of web apps are IE6 specific, barely work on IE7, and don't work outside of these two browsers at all)

I'm thinking that a $100 - $150 version of this device may do the trick. More RAM, some real desktop storage , Windows 8 ARM compatibility, if - and only if - the apps above are somehow ported to run on the ARM architecture.

SSH is great. I love it, but the truth is that its implementation is very limited outside the software programming, IT department, and home linux nerd applications.

In its existing form it simply would not work for business purposes today
You know the device ($35 version) has an SD card slot right? And USB 2.0 so you can attach a hard drive? 32GBytes onboard would be plenty for most people's applications. If not, there's always an option of using an external hard drive.

My friend's android phone has a stripped down version of autocad on it, and there are many office-like applications available. Granted, most don't work on ARM6 like this, but it's ARM none the less. Regardless, this device isn't aimed at business clients at all. Go watch their presentations on the main website; specifically this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gX78qg6NQs

I'd also debate the "(a huge portion of web apps are IE6 specific, barely work on IE7, and don't work outside of these two browsers at all)" statement aswell... Where have you been the last 5 years, under a rock?
 
I'd also debate the "(a huge portion of web apps are IE6 specific, barely work on IE7, and don't work outside of these two browsers at all)" statement aswell... Where have you been the last 5 years, under a rock?

With three different major medical device corporations, all of which have forced me to use locked down Corporate XP images with IE6 on them to be compatible with their business apps.

For shits and giggles I have tried using the web apps I have access to (currently only Trackwise and Tenrox, all the other apps I use are poorly coded local clients running on remote Citrix machines) on alternate browsers (Google chrome portable, Safari on my iPhone, Firefox (from a Linux boot disk) and I can confirm that they do not work properly on these other browsers.
 
I see. I guess you will run into various "gotcha" scenarios, but that is hardly representative of the norm. Even Microsoft has discontinued the support of IE6. I've found that Firefox 3.6 has the best support as far as weird web-apps go, just in case you were interested in doing some more exploring.
 
cacti server, print server, emulation, ssh/cmd-line server, file server...

This is great for any task not requiring a lot of CPU or I/O. Power draw is supposed to be around 1W max.

I've been following this project for a while and its exactly the kind of hardware I've been looking for. The performance for this price at this power draw is pretty much unbeatable.
 
cacti server, print server, emulation, ssh/cmd-line server, file server...

This is great for any task not requiring a lot of CPU or I/O. Power draw is supposed to be around 1W max.

I've been following this project for a while and its exactly the kind of hardware I've been looking for. The performance for this price at this power draw is pretty much unbeatable.

I'm hoping to get a cut down linux distro running on it, and use it as a super portable oldschool emulation computer. Maybe with Puppy Arcade (Puppy Linux) on it or something like that.
 
delayed till early December :( first batch is supposed to be 10k units and there is talk of making you donate $35 on top of the $35 in order to purchase a raspberry pi from the first batch....
 
i kinda wish for the ram they would have just put a single laptop dimm slot...
 
Going to look into getting one as well. I've been looking for something to really tinker with, and at the price, it seems like it could be fun.
 
Last edited:
delayed till early December :( first batch is supposed to be 10k units and there is talk of making you donate $35 on top of the $35 in order to purchase a raspberry pi from the first batch....

Yeah, I'm a bit miffed. I realize there are engineering constraints and all that jazz, but they could have been a bit more forth coming with this information.
 
i'm just hoping they have a second batch going before christmas

I wouldn't keep your hopes up. I just hope they can push product out.

Wonder how it fares compared to Smartphones and BeagleBoard-xM/Gumstix.

Biggest fear is that Texas Instruments finds a way to snuff the project out - as Raspberry Pi makes Gumstix's lowest offerings almost redundant (the only premium you're paying for is decreased size). Beagleboard xM becomes pretty redundant as well.

I hope TI compete their offerings and offer more onboard stuff like LVDS; it would be the only reason to pay price premium for the TI stuff because as it stands Raspberry Pi is just a simple computer and for a lot of features you're going to pay out the nose (GPS, LVDS interface, 3G/4G/GSM modem, etc...) which will inflate that $35 price to more around Beagleboard levels. Just really depends on what you are intending to do with it.

Edit: Potentially cool peripheral devices for Raspberry Pi/Beagleboard style computers

USB Tiny Apple Style Keyboard Clone - $10

Ultrathin Bluetooth 49 Key Keyboard (5"x 2"x 0.2" @ 4oz) - $8-30 (depending on what retailer)

Nuu K1 - English MiniKey - $60

ThinkPad USB Keyboard with TrackPoint (appears to be one usb cable for both) - $55

Wonder if the new LG 3/4G modems have drivers...
 
Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I can't wait until this comes out -- think of the fun things that could be done with it. Amazing power for the price.
 
Sheesh! can't believe its mid February already! where's my Rasp Pi!?

im gunna get ya little PC!!!!
 
Well it's supposed to be released in 5 minutes. Both sites are down from what I can only guess is server overload. :(
 
Farnell is dead, i can get RS to load but there is no where to actually buy a Raspberry. Only to register to express interest.
 
Raspberry Pi ‏ @Raspberry_Pi
If you're only seeing "register an interest" on RS's site, you're on the wrong page.


Ok great, tell me where to go to get the pi!
 
Supposed to be limited to 2 of them.. I want 4 (3 for the 3 households of nieces & nephews I have) & 1 for me/my daughter.

Today’s sales are limited to one per customer, so that as many of you as possible are able to get their hands on one. Starting in a month or so, you will be able to place batch orders with both Premier Farnell and RS Components for as many units as you want; you’ll also save some money on postage by doing this.
 
Back
Top