Raspberry Pi 4

The new Pi 4 is out... Dual HDMI, USB 3.0, and true gigabit ethernet. Anyone ordering?

https://www.raspberrypi.org/products/raspberry-pi-4-model-b/
Can't wait. I literally bought a Pi3 B+ a week ago....but there are sooooo many improvements, even just for using it as a router on a stick with FRR...

Supposedly Microcenter guarantees they'll have all 3 models w/ different ram on Friday. We shall see. I wouldn't mind picking up a 4GB & 2GB as toys.

Yeah, I'm not surprised you bought a Pi3 model a week ago. This was kept well under wraps...but since it's a community project with software powered by users, this is beyond boneheaed.

As of a few months back, I heard nothing about this release (was researching whether there as going to be a true successor for someone else). They eventually bought the Nano, because thee was NOTHING.,

Shittiest. Marketing. Evar, Broadcom. Which is probably why there's currently no GPU support in Raspbian.

It's not like your competitors are going to come out with something better after you announce things - these things come out at a snail's pace. And it's not like the sales of the lower-end models are going to dry-up tomorrow. Just cut the price of the 3b, , and it will all be okay.

Last edited:
...I literally bought a Pi3 B+ a week ago...

Same here.

I supposed now 3B+ I have will go into my RetroPie box since the form factor is changing with the 4. Mildly annoyed, because basically the same thing happened when I bought a 2B. Few weeks later the 3B came out.

Im excited to see the full gamut of benches for this thing after all the software has been updated.

Same here.

I supposed now 3B+ I have will go into my RetroPie box since the form factor is changing with the 4. Mildly annoyed, because basically the same thing happened when I bought a 2B. Few weeks later the 3B came out.

return it? That's what the return period is for.

Community support for RPi4 is non-existent now and there are issues to be resolved eg. no proper video driver yet (eg. I have graphical glitches in quake3)
Owning RPi3 for now is not such a bad idea to get yourself acquainted with how it more or less how Pi should work. And then there is wow factor when switching for faster HW :)

I got my week ago ago but I could not find microHDMI adapter I thought I had so I had to order microHDMI to HDMI adapter and got to play with it yesterday evening. As you can imagine extended evening ;)
I got my RPi4 to 1750MHz with 750MHz GPU and set ondemand governor that even moving mouse triggers full speed and it does keep it for longest period possible. As far as CPU goes everything runs as well as it is supposed to. Cortex A72 clocked at 1750MHz are maybe not terribly fast but enough to often forget when browsing for information on the web that this is RaspberryPi and not main PC. Definitely workable speeds.

There is an issue with overheating and additional cooling is needed even at stock speeds. I got improvised active cooling and SoC temps go at most to about 55'C when both CPU and GPU are loaded at 100% (and there is bunch of USB devices connected - new alpha firmware for reducing USB conroller temps is loaded though).

What is not nice is GPU support in applications. This side of things definitely require some work. Besides some functions won't probably be never working as they should eg. YT playback in web browser. This is a shame because HW with similar processing power on my tablet (some 4 core Atom X5) does YT and any side with embedded videos in 1080p. Barely but without frame skipping if I do not move mouse. RPi4 currently struggles playing 144p videos in web browser even if in VLC it plays infamous killa.sampla.x264.mkv

I do not think many people got their hands on RaspberryPi 4 yet and even official Raspbian OS seems like beta version at most.

But I must admit that playing with this little hardware is a lot of fun. Linux at its finest: "Obvious thing does not work out of the boxt: fix it yourself!!!!1"

Looks pretty neat, I've got a RPI B, RPI3B, RPI Zero... not really sure what I would use a 4 for, but I will probably end up getting one eventually.

Just got one for my Playstation emulator. Excited to begin the build this weekend.

Do you know if they have a working port of RetroPi yet? But I suppose individual emulators are already working fine.

Even N64 is looking possible.

https://www.arcadepunks.com/raspberry-pi-4-n64-awesome-9-games-tested/

RetroPi can be loaded on to the Pi 4 through Raspbian Buster + Etcher but I don't think they have an image yet to DL directly yet. N64 does play great on the Pi 4 for the most part, Dreamcast too

Check out ETAPrime on youtube, he has many video's and tutorials on the Pi 4 & emulation.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Mretaprime/search?query=Raspberry+Pi+4

His tutorial on installing RetroPi on the Raspberry Pi 4

Tutorial on installing Lakka (Retroarch)

After some period of raspinactivity I got nice alluminum case for my RPi4 and installed newest Raspbian Buster and configured Compton compositing engine on it.
Just after release there was no possibility to get proper (eg. no tearibg) video playback on Chromium and now even 1440p25 YT on vp9 codec without frame skipping works.
Also OC capability increased from 2GHz to almost 2150MHz. Though in my case I cannot hit it with the cooling I have and I need to settle on lower speed, probably will still use 2GHz

Does the 2GB memory version still outperform the 4GB version? I was waiting until a new variant came out that fixed the USB-C wiring not being to spec, but it looks like that may not be coming any time soon (plus it still works as long as you have good cables)

Nice! Thanks for the link. My other question still stands, though. I seem to remember that the 2GB Memory Pi 4s outperformed the 4GB versions in a number of benchmarks, such that the 2GB was actually recommended. Is this still the case?

First I've heard of it. But at the end of the day, decide what you want to do with it, how much RAM you need for that, and buy appropriately. No point spending more money than you have to, benchmarks or no.

RPi4 in 8GB version is available.
64-bit Rasbian is also in the works to allow better utilization of memory by single process. 32-bit version can use all memory but single process is limited to 2GB.

More curious is that they eliminated the 1GB version of the Pi4.

More curious is that they eliminated the 1GB version of the Pi4.
It's still available to those who really want it (i.e, production products/tools only validated against specific SKUs), but the 2GB version dropped to $35, so there is no reason for regular consumers to purchase the 1GB.

It's still available to those who really want it (i.e, production products/tools only validated against specific SKUs), but the 2GB version dropped to $35, so there is no reason for regular consumers to purchase the 1GB.
Imho 1GB version was too limiting for RPi4 hardware and pretty much pointless given one can always use RPi3 for simpler projects.
I also think that biggest flaw of RPi3 was that it was only limited to 1GB and it was the reason why I didn't get one.

I think the biggest problem with the Pi before the 4 was the garbage USB controller they were using before.

I could manage 1GB of RAM, but the IO was terrible. Haven’t tried a 4 yet.

I think the biggest problem with the Pi before the 4 was the garbage USB controller they were using before.

I could manage 1GB of RAM, but the IO was terrible. Haven’t tried a 4 yet.
I/O is a lot better. Not at Jetson Nano levels (I had an earlier Jetson Nano and a rPi4), but close enough to not really matter - especially for the price difference.

Certainly enjoying my Raspberry Pi CM4 and I/O Board.
Might put VMware ESXi on it soon.

XVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmltYWdlLm9wZXJhdGlvbnMiXX0.jpg

Back