Raptor replacement trouble?

spiroh

Limp Gawd
I sent in my Raptor to WD because it died. Btw, WD has exceptional RMA procedures. Anyway, I don't know if it's my imagination but this ones seems louder than the original. How can I check to see if the performance of the drive is where it's supposed to be and if the noise is what a standard raptor is? Thanks

Performance? HD Tune or HD Tach are both good for analyzing the actual performance. Speedfan has a SMART diagnostic utility built in as well.
Noise? I have no idea.

You can't measure noise unless you have the right instruments to do so and can actually compare the two drives in a controlled experiment.

I wouldnt worry too much about the noise, Raptor's are notoriously loud due to their speed. It is possible that they gave you a drive with newer, better firmware that causes it to spin faster.

If the drive SMART checks ok, and most every other freeware drive diagnostic utility checks it out ok, Im sure its fine.

I wouldnt worry too much about the noise, Raptor's are notoriously loud due to their speed. It is possible that they gave you a drive with newer, better firmware that causes it to spin faster.
Whaaaaaaaa? um.............no, 10k, that's it.

If the drive SMART checks ok, and most every other freeware drive diagnostic utility checks it out ok, Im sure its fine.

Awesome! I'll take a 15K Raptor please. :D

Do you even own a Raptor? I have one in an Antec Super Lanboy and I cannot hear it unless I am moving a ton of noncongruent data. Hell, the motherboard fan on my Asus A8N5X is the loudest thing in that machine.

Do you even own a Raptor? I have one in an Antec Super Lanboy and I cannot hear it unless I am moving a ton of noncongruent data. Hell, the motherboard fan on my Asus A8N5X is the loudest thing in that machine.

I actually do have a Raptor for my OS drive, but i leave my case sides off (it a full ATX tower) because of frequent upgrades and maintenance. And yes, a 7,000 RPM fan on a CPU will be louder than a Raptor.

I actually do have a Raptor for my OS drive, but i leave my case sides off (it a full ATX tower) because of frequent upgrades and maintenance. And yes, a 7,000 RPM fan on a CPU will be louder than a Raptor.

Well, there's the problem. Most people don't do that -- they should not be able to hear a Raptor over their other components if the Raptor is mounted properly (with rubber grommets) unless they're doing really intensive seeking, in which case, the noise is still minimal, as WD drives have some of the quietest seeks (if you disagree, you should listen to Maxtor and Seagate seeks when they're doing Windows Search indexing).

Oh i know. I actually like the loud sound of my case. 2 PSUs and a 7,000 RPM CPU fan (when it was bought new, it spins just under 6,000 now). Its like a white noise that helps lull me to sleep. Im serious.

OK, I couldn't run HD Tach within Vista but was able to run HD tune.

Minimum transfer rate 56.2
Max 89.9
Avg: 77.7

access time 8ms
Burst:112.3
Cpu 7.5%

How does that sound?

Everything sounds about right -- burst seems a bit slow though. Most of the SATA150 drives nowadays hit ~135 burst.

Everything sounds about right -- burst seems a bit slow though. Most of the SATA150 drives nowadays hit ~135 burst.

Do you think that has anything to do with me using a DFI NF4 Ultra-D mobo?

Hmm, I can't say for sure. I have the same mobo and a Raptor 150 as well, but currently my Raptor is undergoing RMA, so I can't perform any tests. What is your Raptor? 36, 74 or 150? The results may very well be different for the 3.

Hmm, I can't say for sure. I have the same mobo and a Raptor 150 as well, but currently my Raptor is undergoing RMA, so I can't perform any tests. What is your Raptor? 36, 74 or 150? The results may very well be different for the 3.

I have a 150.

IIRC, the ADFDs are pretty much all the same for benchmarks.

Raptor 74GB on Abit P35-Pro

HD tune results;

Minimum transfer rate 48.1 MB/s
Maximum transfer rate 84.8 MB/s
Avg 74.3 MB/s
Access Time 8.5ms
Burst 116.7

HD Tach results;

Min transfer 58 MB/s
Max transfer 90 MB/s
Avg 78 MB/s
Access time 9.1 ms
Burst 136.2 MB/s

Looks like you're in the ballpark to me!

Raptor 74GB on Abit P35-Pro

HD tune results;

Minimum transfer rate 48.1 MB/s
Maximum transfer rate 84.8 MB/s
Avg 74.3 MB/s
Access Time 8.5ms
Burst 116.7

HD Tach results;

Min transfer 58 MB/s
Max transfer 90 MB/s
Avg 78 MB/s
Access time 9.1 ms
Burst 136.2 MB/s

Looks like you're in the ballpark to me!

That might explain it. HD Tach and HD Tune must do something differently in the burst speeds area.

That might explain it. HD Tach and HD Tune must do something differently in the burst speeds area.

There's a lotta difference in all the results. I was suprised. I've never compared program results before. Some of those differences are 15 - 20%.

Back