[Rant] Worst. Build. EVER - DFI JR + SG01 + NT06

let's not get off topic here...

TOILET PAPER ROLL ATTACHED TO DESK.

now THAT is worth discussing. :D

The new(ish) SG01F is really nothing new other than a now non-removable harddrive tray on the other side. This was obviously done to overcome the shortfall of the SG01 which was it couldn't handle long video cards.

After reviewing a lot of SFF cases, this was one of the harder ones to work with other than the X-Gene. You should have stuck with the Qmicra as this was clearly the easiest case I've worked with. I hope the prices someday go down on them...perhaps I'll talk to Dave about that soon.

i just finished a build in sg-01 evo (with the window on both sides)

i agree there's NO where to hide cables, other then that, the top rail is removable, so i had plenty of space to fit everything in. its a nice case..... wish i could hide cables better in it...

Think I'm gonna call it a finished build after I get some filters on the panels.

Would've kept the Q if I was content with its looks, but we just couldn't work out. And I would get a Qpack if I wanted something that looked like a toy :D

I just did this build last night, or at least mostly. Although I think I have a newer version of the SG01 that has the drive cage that is on the left side of the case. The damned DFI board has its SATA connectors stacked facing right into them. WTF. I ended up taking off the fan on the drive cage so that I could at least connect one hard drive and my optical drive but I'm going to have to find some low profile 90 degree connectors for it, and even then I don't know if it will fit. There is only like 1/4" if that. What the hell were they thinking? A small form factor board shouldn't require a profile any larger than the board size itself, cables included.

Also, lowteckh, I saw in one of your pictures that you had mounted a fan (80mm?) under your NG06. I was curious as to how much that helped temps. I so far have had pretty good temps with my E8500, it idles around 29C, but the more cooling the better for me. I was almost wondering if another fan would actually restrict airflow more? I have a 135mm fan under my power supply (raidmax hybrid) and it moves quite a bit of air just by itself.\

If anyone is ever interested, these look like about the only solution, w/o modding the drive cage to go on the other side. http://www.cooldrives.com/ullowpr30sai.html

80mm in the SG01? I didn't put one in my NT06, unless you're talking about my Lanbox with the Enzotech Ultra and the 120mm under it. Idles temps mean nothing, post load.

If you're talking about the 2 little fans in my SG01 behind the NT06 and not my Lanbox, they're 40mm Scythe mini Kazes which do nothing for temps.

Don't know what you're referring to regarding the SATA connectors as I've fit them no problem. The SG01F is the new version; the aluminum models SG01 and SG01E are older. The Lanbox has problems with the SATA ports, but not the SG01F.

SANY0712_0f186.Large.jpg

Bah, yeah I just completely left out load temps sry. 54C after about 30min of Prime95 at stock speeds.

And yeah, I was talking about your 120mm in your Lanbox, I thought that was an NT06 for some reason.

I have the SG01B-W with the windows. It has the drive cage off to the side and not so much under where the 5.25" slots are. Would be decent if it worked, but in this case it doesn't.

This is what I'm talking about. I had to take the fan off just to fit in 2 plugs. And there is only like 3/8" left between the remaining ones so I doubt even low profiles will work. Some case modding might be in order. I might do a bit of cutting and just mount the drive cage where it is on the other SG01's.

042.jpg

I'm contemplating this build with a SG01-F, so hopefully this issue is only with the SG01B-W

i just finished a build in sg-01 evo (with the window on both sides)

i agree there's NO where to hide cables, other then that, the top rail is removable, so i had plenty of space to fit everything in. its a nice case..... wish i could hide cables better in it...

I disagree, you can hide/clean the cables if you know what your doing, I did it. Sucks that my new 260 cost me 4 sata ports, it was a tight fit to make it work unless I had more 90 degree SATA cables

icelight5.jpg

closefit.jpg

cpuscythe.jpg

topview.jpg

I'm contemplating this build with a SG01-F, so hopefully this issue is only with the SG01B-W

If you don't mind just a smidge of modding, What I did was I cut about 3/4" off the bottom of that drive cage so that I could plug the SATA cable in and kinda slide it into place. I also had to drill a couple of new holes and now the hard drives are alot closer to each other. Finally I cut one corner of the fan off. Now everything fits perfectly, very tight fit, but it all works well. Overall, I am very happy with my new PC.

Or just get the F and be done with it, or.. get something else. F = heavy, E = light. F = cheaper, E = more $. Hiding cables is different from making them neat, the SG01 just doesn't offer any places to hide them.

Think I might ditch this box and go the HTPC case route for more HD space. Just ate through 2.5TB of space :(

░▒▓▒░µATX░▒▓▒░

LABOR OF L<3VE

Bit late on the reply, but I just saw this thread now and that is precisely what I was thinking when reading the rant. XD

That's what micro is all about!

Back